The Student Room Group

Norland College???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Origami Bullets
Working is a good option if it's something relevant, but do make sure that you apply for the bursaries before you make such a decision - there's no point taking time out to save up if there are funding sources that you haven't checked out yet :smile:

I'm pretty sure my parents earn too much for bursaries (40k+) but they have made it very clear they won't be supporting me financially if I go to university or college so working it is :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by theblackparade
Ok im sorry but i know this thread is a little old now but would it be possible for any of you to tell me how you are funding the course? I am looking to apply next year (I live in Scotland) but I have no idea how I would fund it :colondollar: It is so expensive not even including living expenses. I would probably have to take 2 or 3 years of working to earn the money to fund the course. How do you plan to fund your course?

Any help gratefully welcomed :colondollar:

Thank you in advance x

I'm already a working nanny which is helpful and this is my fourth tax year of work which is great in terms of student finance as although I'm under 25 I can apply for student finance off my own income- which hopefully means I can get a bursary. I've also saved a lot this past year since I was accepted. And bank of mum and dad have agrees to help also for my third year as I can now afford the first two.
Original post by Martshi3
I'm already a working nanny which is helpful and this is my fourth tax year of work which is great in terms of student finance as although I'm under 25 I can apply for student finance off my own income- which hopefully means I can get a bursary. I've also saved a lot this past year since I was accepted. And bank of mum and dad have agrees to help also for my third year as I can now afford the first two.

That's brilliant :biggrin: so have you been offered a place at norland?
Reply 23
That's brilliant :biggrin: so have you been offered a place at norland?

Yes. I applied last year but for deferred entry starting this September.
Yes. I applied last year but for deferred entry starting this September.

Wow that's amazing :biggrin: so is entry very competitive?
Reply 25
Wow that's amazing :biggrin: so is entry very competitive?

From what others have told me I'd say yes but it didn't seem that difficult for me. But I'm a 'mature student' with experience so for your average 18 year old I'd imagine it's more difficult to get accepted.
From what others have told me I'd say yes but it didn't seem that difficult for me. But I'm a 'mature student' with experience so for your average 18 year old I'd imagine it's more difficult to get accepted.

Thank you very much and sorry for bombarding you with questions :colondollar:
How old do you need to be to get in this college and what qualifications do I need?
Original post by Shakira123456789
How old do you need to be to get in this college and what qualifications do I need?

You need to be 18 to attend. You need any A-level/childcare level 3 type qualification as long as you have the UCAS points.
Reply 29
I'm thinking about applying to Norland college! Although this is an old conversation, could someone please answer these questions I have?

1. How do students pay for the 3 year course?

2. Are students required to pay the annual fee for their third year at Norland college even though they are working for a family?

3. How much does the uniform cost?

4. Where do students live while they are receiving their education?

5. Is it difficult to get into the college?

6. Do you have to have your driving license when you apply?

Hi, I'm nearly 18. I'm also thinking about applying to Norland it looks so amazing! However, I am planning to take a year out from full-time education to complete an apprenticeship in Business and Administration at a local Medical centre. I am concerned about how I may be able to pay and I also doubt I'll be eligable for bursaries as my parents are earning around £50k+ and I know they would help me out if I asked. That's not my question though, my question is more about previous childcare experience, I have just completed my A levels (double Health and Social Care and Sociology) I have about 3- 4 weeks experience working in a nursery and worked in a reception class once a week for about a month, is this enough experience?? What can I do to get more experience considering I'll be working full-time?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by SarahE5424
Hi, I'm nearly 18. I'm also thinking about applying to Norland it looks so amazing! However, I am planning to take a year out from full-time education to complete an apprenticeship in Business and Administration at a local Medical centre. I am concerned about how I may be able to pay and I also doubt I'll be eligable for bursaries as my parents are earning around £50k+ and I know they would help me out if I asked. That's not my question though, my question is more about previous childcare experience, I have just completed my A levels (double Health and Social Care and Sociology) I have about 3- 4 weeks experience working in a nursery and worked in a reception class once a week for about a month, is this enough experience?? What can I do to get more experience considering I'll be working full-time?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Why would you take a year out oh do that apprentiships if Norland is your goal?
Why would you take a year out oh do that apprentiships if Norland is your goal?

I only found out that Norland existed after I had got the apprenticeship haha! I start that on 18th August. I'm not 100% sure of what I want to do anyway, I'm kinda stuck between the two really I just figured I should probs get something under my belt and administration skills are useful anywhere lol. I'm just looking for as much info as I can get and after the year in the apprenticeship I can decide whether to continue in that career or that Norland is the way to go.
Original post by SarahE5424
I only found out that Norland existed after I had got the apprenticeship haha! I start that on 18th August. I'm not 100% sure of what I want to do anyway, I'm kinda stuck between the two really I just figured I should probs get something under my belt and administration skills are useful anywhere lol. I'm just looking for as much info as I can get and after the year in the apprenticeship I can decide whether to continue in that career or that Norland is the way to go.

Okay fair enough I didn't find out about Norland until I was 20 (and I'm still surprised that people know about to apply there in sixth form). But at that time I was already in Italy working with children as showing a passion about working with children is integral to the interview stage.
Reply 34
Hi, please could someone help explain to me the fees of the course/how do people pay for the course? And what the bursaries are about as I'm completely baffled haha:smile:
Also any information on student accommodation?
Thank you in advance :smile:
Hello,

How are you getting on at Norland, I recently visited on the open day and I am extremely eager to attend.I am currently applying via UCAS, is there anyway you can please pm me with any tips you can give me please. Particularly on what they are looking for in a personal statement and interview questions.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated .

Many thanks, :smile:

Charlotte Friar
I am going for my interview soon? And nervous, only place I want to go ?! Can someone help me with what to expect and what sort of questions they ask ?!
hi,

first of all, congrats on getting to the interview stage! :biggrin:

I had my interview at Norland going back a couple of years ago now, and it's really not anything to stress about :smile:

Although it seems pretty scary, the best thing you can do is just stay relaxed. The interview itself isn't all that bad, they just ask you questions on your experience with children, why you want to go to norland and about what your future plans are. really basic questions, they aren't trying to catch you out at all.

I think if I had to offer you some advice, it would simple be, stay relaxed, be confident and tell them exactly why you want to go, if you want it as much as you say you do, then you will get a place :biggrin:

Also, make sure you are dressed very smartly and be as polite as you can be, it goes a long way.

I wish you all the luck in the world! and i hope I see you next year!
xx
Reply 38
i've literally just applied, how long it took norland to get back to you regarding an interview?
Original post by dahlia1
Milliecope-

I did get my place and I am SO excited! Sent back all my forms now, can't wait for September; I didn't apply anywhere else, so I was so amazed and grateful to get my place. :biggrin:

Jelly1000-

?Do you mean because so many doors are open in child are today? Norland, for me, at least is the best place to train if you want a job in childcare as the qualification is so versatile and equips you for work in a range of childcare settings. Yes, it does work towards the Norland Diploma, which is geared towards working as a nanny, but the focus is now really on the Early Years Development and Learning degree, which opens so many doors. So, while the Norland name will carry me all over the world with its prestige, the degree will enable me to train further and do anything I like in childcare, without having to decide it all right now! Personally I'd like to nanny for 6/7 years and then do a PGCE :smile:
Reply 39
I really hope you got in! how long did it take from you submitting your ucas to them offering you an interview?
Original post by BethanP1997
I am going for my interview soon? And nervous, only place I want to go ?! Can someone help me with what to expect and what sort of questions they ask ?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending