The Student Room Group

What if you live to far away for an interview?

So basically, I applied to Edinburgh and they may ask me for an interview - living down south will make things awkward though?

would they take this into consideration?

May I add* - I will go anyway if offered an interview, although there may be problems: parents work long hours, finacial issues, where would I stay etc...
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Daniel George
So basically, I applied to Edinburgh and they may ask me for an interview - living down south will make things awkward though?

would they take this into consideration?

no unfortunately not
I had to go 3-4 hour drive to the north from the south for an interview
I went the night before and stayed in a hotel
its just one of those things you have to accept
Reply 2
They won't care. I had to travel from Northern Ireland to Oxford for my interview, especially awkward as we were only given a week's notice. Just the way it works unfortunately.
Original post by MedMed12
no unfortunately not
I had to go 3-4 hour drive to the north from the south for an interview
I went the night before and stayed in a hotel
its just one of those things you have to accept

Well, Edinburgh is a nice place! will be expensive (hotel, travel costs etc...)
I traveled from south Somerset to Cambridge for interview. They just expect you to make the journey regardless of whether you are close, can drive, can afford it etc.

But look at it positively, you will be able to see the Uni before you firm anything :smile:
Reply 5
Is it not possible to do a phone interview. Usually universities are quite flexible about these things, aren't they?
Reply 6
Original post by Gavzzz
Is it not possible to do a phone interview. Usually universities are quite flexible about these things, aren't they?

Not necessarily. I know that at my university if you lived within the EU they expected you to travel.
Original post by Gavzzz

Some said something about Skype?
Reply 8
I don't know about Edinburgh and living in the South West but UCL gave me an exemption from interview because I live in the Channel Islands. I think it helped that I met up with the admissions tutor when I went to look around as well.
Reply 9
In this day and age a Skype interview should be made possible by universities imo.
If expense is a concern then perhaps try talking to your sixth-form/college to see if they'd be able to give you a grant? My sixth-form reimbursed me £200 which I'd spent on travelling and accommodation for university interviews as they had a 'small pot of money' for people who needed support.
Reply 11
Some said something about Skype?

You can always ask.

But ultimately they are in control here, they can easily fill the place with another candidate, so if they say it's in person you may have to just suck it up unfortunately. I know unis are a bit kinder, but I know someone who's grad recruiter told them that an interview was in London on a certain date and if they wanted the job they'd be there, which was problematic as they were on a year abroad in California!
Original post by danny111
In this day and age a Skype interview should be made possible by universities imo.

Why? Phone/video interviews are far "easier" than face-to-face interviews, and as such the university gets less value out of them.

If you aren't willing to travel from the south of England to Edinburgh for 1 day, then why on earth should they be willing to give you a place when they have people lining up to get in? It's not the other side of the planet...
Original post by roh
You can always ask.

But ultimately they are in control here, they can easily fill the place with another candidate, so if they say it's in person you may have to just suck it up unfortunately. I know unis are a bit kinder, but I know someone who's grad recruiter told them that an interview was in London on a certain date and if they wanted the job they'd be there, which was problematic as they were on a year abroad in California!

Well, if that is the case I will travel up of course :biggrin:! However, it would be unfair if they only give you a weeks notice say?...
Original post by callum9999
Why? Phone/video interviews are far "easier" than face-to-face interviews, and as such the university gets less value out of them.

If you aren't willing to travel from the south of England to Edinburgh for 1 day, then why on earth should they be willing to give you a place when they have people lining up to get in? It's not the other side of the planet...

I agree, and the problem with "phone" interviews is they don't really know if its you or not!

I will be willing, i didn't say I wasn't - and if anything it makes you a much more determined candidate?
Reply 15

How is a video interview "easier", they can see if you are reading of prepared notes or not.

It's got nothing to do with willing, Why do the more complicated version when the simple one works just as well.

Plus, assuming some people would travel with a car, it is better for the planet, too.

I do agree with this but I do on the other hand think it is a disgrace that it is another way financially disadvantaged people are knocked down again. It is all very well for people to say they should just get a job but sometimes the part time jobs just aren't there for young people. Then when it comes to graduation they will be disadvantaged again for going to a crappy uni. I do think there should be a bit more flexibility on this personally.
Reply 17
Well, if that is the case I will travel up of course :biggrin:! However, it would be unfair if they only give you a weeks notice say?...

It is, sadly the rules of supply and demand dictate they can be unfair, though you'd hope they won't be if you ask. As someone said above Ox only give a week's notice for all EU residents (who could live thousands of miles away). Whilst top unis like Edinburgh have more well qualified candidates than places it's a case of 'how high?' if they say 'jump'. Once you get an offer the boot's on the other foot a bit and they will send you lots of stuff gushing about how amazing they are!
Just get a train, it's not difficult.

If you don't care enough to get yourself down there you can hardly expect them to give you the place.

edit: I guess "up there" would be more accurate.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you still live in the UK then no, were you live isn't taken into consideration. I went to an interview in St Andrews which at the time was over three hundred miles away from where I lived. It was rather an expensive journey what with train fare and accommodation. Thats just the way it is though, if you can't get a parent to take you on the day of your interview your'll have to arrange to travel the day before and stay somewhere overnight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending