The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ITT a load of ignorant guys whose understanding of feminism is limited to the level of the daily mail
Original post by tazarooni89
While strictly speaking, "feminism" is supposed to refer to advocating equal rights and opportunities for women, it carries with it the connotation of women who wish to create a society which effectively makes taboo/ignores any differences between women, who have some disdain for the fact that there are different societal and cultural expectations of men and women, or who will actively do things typically considered as "male" behaviour, as though daring someone to comment on the fact that it is strange for them to do so, since they are female.

Can you point me to some mainstream feminist literature or writers who advocate this?

Or are you willing to admit its a total straw man?
fem·i·nism
/ˈfeməˌnizəm/
Noun -
The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.
Original post by Clone93
However what I can't stand is women saying in one breath that they want to be treated equally and in the same breath complain about men not treating women like princesses anymore.

Can you point me to some mainstream feminist literature or writers who advocate this?

Original post by HistoryRepeating
The latter branch is so small as to practically not exist. Its a massively exaggerated phenomenon that people use to rationalise their gut dislike of a movement that pushes cultural equality for women.

Its like pointing at an abortion clinic bombing and then getting angry about how Christianity is a terrorist movement.

Yeah, admittedly it is smaller than the other one. I don't really see feminism as an active 'movement' any more though, more as a belief or determination which individual people may hold, and I know a few people who would fit into the latter bracket.
Original post by Treeroy
Feminism to me is the view that women deserve more rights than men or should somehow be treated as higher-class citizens; that we shouldn't be allowed to think and speak against women.

It's not an advocation of "equal rights".

I don't even believe in equal rights, nor do I don't believe in women's rights. I believe in human rights.

Reply 46
Original post by Dee Leigh
Men, what does feminism mean to you? How would you define feminism?

An outdated movement that assumes campaigning for more things for women will lead to equality. Those used to be the same thing back when women were oppressed, but now you'd be hard-pressed to find any right men have that women don't, and it's quite easy to find places where the law benefits women against men.
Reply 47
ITT a load of ignorant guys whose understanding of feminism is limited to the level of the daily mail

ITT a load of guys whose anti-male ex-girlfriends were "feminists".
As for your cartoon... look, I can make cartoons too!

What's great is that they are both just as meaningful!

Untitled.png
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Yeah, admittedly it is smaller than the other one. I don't really see feminism as an active 'movement' any more though, more as a belief or determination which individual people may hold, and I know a few people who would fit into the latter bracket.

Feminism is a larger movement today that at any previous point in history, but I agree the battles they are fighting are nowhere near as fundimental as the fight for the right to vote, equal treatment under law and in jobs etc that feminism has already won.

Its still relevant though. While casual sexism is still commonplace and considered normal, it will always be relevant.
Original post by CJKay
ITT a load of guys whose anti-male ex-girlfriends were "feminists".
As for your cartoon... look, I can make cartoons too!

What's great is that they are both just as meaningful!

Untitled.png

Do you understand the point the cartoon is trying to convey?

The idea that "feminists" want to emasculate men and deny biological differences between men and women etc is just bull****, made up nonsense, that people use to rile themselves up.

Its the equivalent of the "Barack Obama is a muslim" slurs
Reply 50
Do you understand the point the cartoon is trying to convey?

The idea that "feminists" want to emasculate men and deny biological differences between men and women etc is just bull****, made up nonsense.

Mhm, just deny all our experiences. G'wan. Women are never wrong, after all, right?

And as a retort to your cartoon "evidence", I present... video evidence!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
Mhm, just deny all our experiences. G'wan. Women are never wrong, after all, right?

You are doing it again. More straw men.

Please tell me about your experiences though - who did you meet or read? what did they say?

Why would I need to point to "mainstream feminist literature or writers" who advocate this? The subtle connotations of a word aren't decided by mainstream authors, they're determined by general usage and understanding. What I described happens to be what a lot of people will immediately think of when they hear the word "feminist", as you can see on this thread (and as is relevant to the question asked in the thread title).

Besides, any "mainstream feminist writer", or anybody for that matter, even if they did advocate the view I described, is unlikely to do so explicitly. Nobody's going to say "I know there are differences between men and women but I want to pretend they're not there", because it would sound stupid. People are more likely to simply just be the change they wish to see in society - blurring the distinction between men and women with their own behaviour.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
You are doing it again. More straw men.

Please tell me about your experiences though - who did you meet or read? what did they say?

Oh I have a whole bank of bull**** feminists have thrown at me. One particular one from my last ex-girlfriend: "but you're the guy, how come you rarely buy me gifts or presents?.
The situation: she attended an all-girls academy secondary school and sixth form, where posters advertising "your body, your decision. Don't let his opinion change your mind" were splattered about.

Oh another good one I remember from another feminist was, "women are exactly as equal as men" but when the car insurance thing popped up... "why should we have to pay as much as them?? We don't drive as badly as them", which was a change from the typical sexist view.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hopple
An outdated movement that assumes campaigning for more things for women will lead to equality. Those used to be the same thing back when women were oppressed, but now you'd be hard-pressed to find any right men have that women don't, and it's quite easy to find places where the law benefits women against men.

I agree with you that legally we have equality in this country, but sexism and sexist attitudes are still rife, particularly with regards to double standards, for example 'slut shaming', and the normalization of sexism through the media, in music videos especially. I know the latter is a cliche but it's true, and without trying to be rude, I don't think you can fully understand how it feels to be constantly bombarded with sexualised images of members of your gender who are being objectified. How is it acceptable to make songs like Akon's 'Smack That' 'I wanna **** you' and then there's the song 'Carry Out', which is possibly the most sexist modern song I've heard.

Perhaps it's more subtle nowadays, but I still personally think inequality is an issue.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Why would I need to point to "mainstream feminist literature or writers" who advocate this? The subtle connotations of a word aren't decided by mainstream authors, they're determined by general usage.

What I described happens to be what a lot of people will immediately think of when they hear the word "feminist", as you can see on this thread.

The word "feminist" is used just as often by people who hate what they perceive to be feminism as it is by feminists themselves, so this is a rather self-fulfilling prophecy! Of course if you define something bad as feminism, then feminism is bad. Thats just semantics.

The interesting debate is whether the core tenets of the feminist movement -as professed by feminists- are legitimate or not.
Original post by CJKay
Oh I have a whole bank of bull**** feminists have thrown at me. One particular one from my last ex-girlfriend: "but you're the guy, how come you rarely buy me gifts or presents?.
The situation: she attended an all-girls academy secondary school and sixth form, where posters advertising "your body, your decision. Don't let his opinion change your mind" were splattered about.

Oh another good one I remember from another feminist was, "women are exactly as equal as men" but when the car insurance thing popped up... "why should we have to pay as much as them?? We don't drive as badly as them", which was a change from the typical sexist view.

Real feminists oppose the car insurance gender discrimination issue. The whole point of feminism is that that kind of stuff is bad for everyone, of both genders

All you are doing here is associating negative behaviours that have literally nothing to do with feminism, with feminists, and then claiming that this makes feminism wrong. Can't you see that this is a fallacy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Morgasm19
I agree with you that legally we have equality in this country, but sexism and sexist attitudes are still rife, particularly with regards to double standards, for example 'slut shaming', and the normalization of sexism through the media, in music videos especially. I know the latter is a cliche but it's true, and without trying to be rude, I don't think you can fully understand how it feels to be constantly bombarded with sexualised images of members of your gender who are being objectified. How is it acceptable to make songs like Akon's 'Smack That' 'I wanna **** you' and then there's the song 'Carry Out', which is possibly the most sexist modern song I've heard.

Perhaps it's more subtle nowadays, but I still personally think inequality is an issue.

Its not particularly subtle. If you have any pretty female friends ask them how often they get stuff shouted at them on the street, their ass pinched, that kind of stuff.
Reply 58
Real feminists oppose the car insurance gender discrimination issue. The whole point of feminism is that that kind of stuff is bad for everyone, of both genders

All you are doing here is associating negative behaviours that have literally nothing to do with feminism, with feminists, and then claiming that this makes feminism wrong. Can't you see that this is a fallacy?

Sure I can, but out of all the "feminists" I have met I haven't found a single one that has actually adhered to the original goal of feminism, so why should I believe that goal even exists anymore?

I am an egalitarian. I don't know why anybody would associate with either feminism or masculinism - the clues are in the names.
I think you know far less about feminism than you think you do.

I suspect you probably cannot interpret what I actually said.

Are you trying to tell me that if you are a misandrist (and yes they do exist) that you less likely to join an organisation centered around the notion that women are oppressed by the patriarchy?

You just have to see some of the demonstrations by some feminist groups to know that there are more than a handful of misandrists in these organisations. Don't be under some kind of ridiculous delusion that all self proclaimed feminists are for equal rights. They are not all for equal rights. Some self proclaimed feminists are just hateful ****ers.

In any group you are going to find hateful people who hijack a movement for to promote their own prejudice. And the feminist movement is no different.

Latest

Trending

Trending