The Student Room Group

should i sit my exam?

Can someone please answer this should i sit my exam?
so i am really ill, it started with tonsillitis which i was getting strong pains in my throat, gipping alot, now i have thrown up a few times plus i become really sweaty and dizzy when i read, my exams are tomorrow and thurday and next monday.. my dads a doctor and said i shouldn’t sit them as i can’t concentrate and my health is more important then some exams i can do at a later date! please help im scared
Reply 1
If you do it this time and you mess up, you'll only have one more shot at it. I suggest that you don't do them.
Reply 2
Original post by zed963
If you do it this time and you mess up, you'll only have one more shot at it. I suggest that you don't do them.

what do i do?? do i go to the doctors?
Original post by zed963

But if they don't sit them now then they'll only get one chance to take the exams, in the summer, but no chance to resit if they mess them up.
Reply 4
Original post by officelinebacker
But if they don't sit them now then they'll only get one chance to take the exams, in the summer, but no chance to resit if they mess them up.

I thought OP was an AS student.
Reply 5
Original post by AshleySm
what do i do?? do i go to the doctors?

Your exam officer.
Reply 6
i am am as student!
Reply 7
Original post by zed963
Your exam officer.

but im ill? how do i see them??
Reply 8
but im ill? how do i see them??

E-mail, or tell your parents to go on your behalf or ring them up.
Reply 9
get your doctor to write you a "special consideration" note or something like that which you can give to the exams officer. I dont know exactly how it works but i think this note will then be given to each examiner that is marking your paper. once they have marked it, the examiner (or whoever it is) will factor in the fact that you were severly ill while taking the exam, and will add on a certain number of points/marks/ums onto your papers total marks.

how do i know this? because i suffered from a severe flu while taking the first batch of my exams, was in hospital, but still sat the exams feeling awful and probably doing awfully. In fact i dont even remember actually sitting the exams, just remeber feeling ill. but i do know that my mum got one of these notes from the doctor and it was factored into the overall marks i recieved for each paper.

good luck with your exams.
Reply 10
Original post by s24a
get your doctor to write you a "special consideration" note or something like that which you can give to the exams officer. I dont know exactly how it works but i think this note will then be given to each examiner that is marking your paper. once they have marked it, the examiner (or whoever it is) will factor in the fact that you were severly ill while taking the exam, and will add on a certain number of points/marks/ums onto your papers total marks.

how do i know this? because i suffered from a severe flu while taking the first batch of my exams, was in hospital, but still sat the exams feeling awful and probably doing awfully. In fact i dont even remember actually sitting the exams, just remeber feeling ill. but i do know that my mum got one of these notes from the doctor and it was factored into the overall marks i recieved for each paper.

good luck with your exams.

so should i sit my exam?
Reply 11
so should i sit my exam?

well if i was in your situation i would. because tbh its not like you have anything to lose is it?

If you sit the exam and you dont do well (so get 3 U's or something), then that is the exact same result as what you would have if you hadnt sat the exam at all. And i presume you would retake, which you would do anyway, if you didnt sit the exams at all. Also you wouldnt feel that bad, as you know that your illness had a part to play in the results u got, therefore these results are not representative of what you can achieve when you are healthy.

Also if you do sit the exam and get good grades like (bbc/ccb/abb/abc...) then how awesome would you feel?!! because you would know that you got those grades while you were ill, so if thats what you can do when you're ill then you must be capable of getting even better grades when healthy! also if u sit them and get good grades then you might not have to retake in the summer.

But its all up to you. If you really dont want to do it then don't. But im the kind of person who (if i was in this situation) would sit the exams because i would see this as a situation where you have nothing to lose.

good luck in your exams (if you decide to sit them) :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by s24a
well if i was in your situation i would. because tbh its not like you have anything to lose is it?

If you sit the exam and you dont do well (so get 3 U's or something), then that is the exact same result as what you would have if you hadnt sat the exam at all. And i presume you would retake, which you would do anyway, if you didnt sit the exams at all. Also you wouldnt feel that bad, as you know that your illness had a part to play in the results u got, therefore these results are not representative of what you can achieve when you are healthy.

Also if you do sit the exam and get good grades like (bbc/ccb/abb/abc...) then how awesome would you feel?!! because you would know that you got those grades while you were ill, so if thats what you can do when you're ill then you must be capable of getting even better grades when healthy! also if u sit them and get good grades then you might not have to retake in the summer.

But its all up to you. If you really dont want to do it then don't. But im the kind of person who (if i was in this situation) would sit the exams because i would see this as a situation where you have nothing to lose.

good luck in your exams (if you decide to sit them) :smile:

Hello, I would of sat if my symptoms were the same but now I'm actually throwing up which also caused me no sleep last night, and can't concentrate on words as after a while I start going all dizzy, Atleast I feel prepared for when I will have to do them! Literally worst timing ever, hopefully the doctor will have an answer what and why :/ thank you though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Defiantly going to try and attempt my two exams tomorrow though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I would personally sit the exams. You can get a "special considerations" note from your doctor, which will help slightly. Also, if you do decide to sit your exam, and if (that's just an IF) you mess up entirely, you will have learnt something from it. You will realise how to exam format goes and what it's like sitting that particular exam, so you'll end up doing better next time around.

:smile:
Reply 15
You need at least a week for the letter from the doctors and also, they dont actually add that many marks on if any. I had one when I had an opened appendix wound a week before my GCSE's but nothing got changed dramatically. Nothing that mattered anyway..
Reply 16
Hello, I would of sat if my symptoms were the same but now I'm actually throwing up which also caused me no sleep last night, and can't concentrate on words as after a while I start going all dizzy, Atleast I feel prepared for when I will have to do them! Literally worst timing ever, hopefully the doctor will have an answer what and why :/ thank you though

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats okay :smile: hope you feel a lot better soon :smile:
Reply 17
Hi everyone, I had a biology exam yesterday and I went even though I was really sick and couldn't even think well. The external invigilator knew I was sick and I left after 20 minutes of starting an exam that was to last an hour and 15 minutes.
Do you think I'ld have to apply for special consideration even though the external invigilator put it down that I was sick an did not finish the exam and what do you think would happen?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest