The Student Room Group

Drama School Applicants September 2013 (ENTRY 2014)

I realised there wasn't a post for this already and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only who is looking prematurely. I'm currently looking for audition monologues but having trouble finding contemporary plays with good female ones.. any suggestions. I intend to apply to RADA, LAMDA and Guildhall - am I the only one who has pretty much read all the information on the world wide web about applying and now I just want to see if there is any one in the same boat as me?

Scroll to see replies

Have you considered The Vagina Monologues?

Good luck with your application/audition. It's very competitive.
Original post by doll_parts
I realised there wasn't a post for this already and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only who is looking prematurely. I'm currently looking for audition monologues but having trouble finding contemporary plays with good female ones.. any suggestions. I intend to apply to RADA, LAMDA and Guildhall - am I the only one who has pretty much read all the information on the world wide web about applying and now I just want to see if there is any one in the same boat as me?

Still in my second year at uni, but graduate next year so never too bad to start planning in advance, is it? :h:

I'm looking into RCSSD, LAMDA, Guildhall, BSA and Drama Centre for some MA courses. Probably looking at other places too if I can find more post-grad! xD

Used to look at Simon Dunmore's website for some help monologue-wise, but it looks like it's down at the minute! What kind of courses are you looking into? :3
Reply 3
Original post by TheWrockStar
Still in my second year at uni, but graduate next year so never too bad to start planning in advance, is it? :h:

I'm looking into RCSSD, LAMDA, Guildhall, BSA and Drama Centre for some MA courses. Probably looking at other places too if I can find more post-grad! xD

Used to look at Simon Dunmore's website for some help monologue-wise, but it looks like it's down at the minute! What kind of courses are you looking into? :3

I'm looking at the 3 year acting courses, I would apply for more but the funds are low and I really like the classical style of teaching RADA, LAMDA and Guildhall provide. I'm actually going to apply for Uni as well as a back-up plan and to keep my folks happy, I'll be applying for Aerospace Engineering- I know that's so random but I don't have a passion for it at all. I looked at all the past productions of the school's to help give me some monologue ideas and I got some plays from the library today. In terms of Classical monologues it's really hard to find good ones that aren't overdone. I really wanted to do Ophelia's monologue from Hamlet since I played Hamlet in The Young Vic so I pretty much know all the characters like the back of my hand, however apparently it is overdone... Steer Clear?
Reply 4
Original post by Dragonista
Have you considered The Vagina Monologues?

Good luck with your application/audition. It's very competitive.

I had a look at them, not too sure though because I don't think they'll link with my age since I'll be 17/18 when I audition. Furthermore, I read some where that one should steer clear of monologues that would make the panel feel uncomfortable?
Original post by doll_parts
I had a look at them, not too sure though because I don't think they'll link with my age since I'll be 17/18 when I audition. Furthermore, I read some where that one should steer clear of monologues that would make the panel feel uncomfortable?

I see what you mean, makes sense. On the flip side they are very famous and maybe it could make you stand out. It's your choice though :smile:
Reply 6
Im thinking of applying for LAMDA, RADA and then Guildhall. I just... How much experience do you have/ what are your theatre & acting backgrounds?
Reply 7
As a suggestion in regards to speech choice- find something you love and stick with it, don't worry how original it is. If you love it, you will excel!

However age range and nothing 'in your face' still applies, you want them to feel positive and enticed by you, not awkward, looking away thinking what the ****!

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I’m starting to prep too my chosen schools are;

East 15 - Acting foundation
Rose burford -Acting BA
Bristol Old Vic Theatre - Acting BA
LAMDA - Acting BA

Just wondering if any one has any information or advice on these schools. wither it is accommodation, environment , course content or opinions.

Thanks
Reply 9
Hey :smile:

I want to study drama, however, I'm from Lithuania and it's really difficult for me to decide what monologues should I say in auditions. I would want to apply to UNI but not very "cool" ones because they are too expensive. :biggrin:

I really hope someone will tell me what is the best play and prose to say in English language.

Reply 10
Original post by Doti

I want to study drama, however, I'm from Lithuania and it's really difficult for me to decide what monologues should I say in auditions. I would want to apply to UNI but not very "cool" ones because they are too expensive. :biggrin:

I really hope someone will tell me what is the best play and prose to say in English language.

Being from a foreign country isn't going to help you, unfortunately. It's alright with Acting Universities, but Drama Schools are very strict about this.

Your English has to be impeccable, otherwise your acting will suck.

If you believe that your English is at the level of native speakers, then just research enough and go for it. There's plenty of advice on this website, and more on Google if you look for it.

Good luck :wink:
Original post by Powka
Being from a foreign country isn't going to help you, unfortunately. It's alright with Acting Universities, but Drama Schools are very strict about this.
Your English has to be impeccable, otherwise your acting will suck.

Original post by Doti

Hey Doti,

I thought I should just give a different opinion to Powka, because I don't think he's right.

In my class at Guildhall (and in many previous years classes at Guildhall and many other 'top' drama schools in the UK) there are several international students. Obviously you need to be pretty much fluent to be able to read and understand the material, but a slight accent is certainly not a hinderance, and a second language can often make people stand out. Perfect English is not necessary and is something a lot os English people do not have.

So don't listen to Powka when he says your acting will 'suck' if your English is not 'impeccable' - thats just ridiculous.
Reply 12
Original post by T-o dore
Hey Doti,

I thought I should just give a different opinion to Powka, because I don't think he's right.

In my class at Guildhall (and in many previous years classes at Guildhall and many other 'top' drama schools in the UK) there are several international students. Obviously you need to be pretty much fluent to be able to read and understand the material, but a slight accent is certainly not a hinderance, and a second language can often make people stand out. Perfect English is not necessary and is something a lot os English people do not have.

So don't listen to Powka when he says your acting will 'suck' if your English is not 'impeccable' - thats just ridiculous.

Hi,

I'm happy to hear that there are some international people! :biggrin:

The saddest part is that my English is not pretty... and definitely not fluent. :dong: I don't think there is a point for me to go to drama schools (conservatoires) because of my poor vocabulary and grammar. However, maybe there is a chance then to go to UNI...

What are your thoughts?
Reply 13
Hey all,

I am Josh, an 18 year old from the United States. I'm planning on applying to some schools abroad as well as in the states this coming year and thought this would be a good place to post and ask questions about some of the schools and living in the UK in General, and/or answer any questions about American drama schools you may have!

I'll be doing the Guildhall Drama Summer School in mid July this summer, so that should give me a good taste of what the curriculum and London is like.

Right now my overseas list contains LAMDA, Guildhall, and Royal Conservitoire of Scotland (with RADA as a maybe if I really like London this summer)
and my American Colleges include The Juilliard School, Carnegie Mellon University, CalArts, North Carolina School of the Arts, The Hartt School, University of Minnesota/Guthrie Acting Training Program, and DePaul University.
Reply 14
Hey Josh,

You seem to be serious about your choices. Good (just drop the University of Minnesota).

For London drama schools, here's a list: http://actinginlondon.co.uk/best-drama-schools-in-london/

I wonder, how come you're applying to UK's training programs? Is this just a plan-B in case the US application don't work out, or is it the money issue?
Hey Guys,

I am applying this year as well.
My favourites are RADA, Royal Conservatoire and Guildhall so far!(Tip top)
How goes everyones monologue hunting..JOsh I looked at Carnegie mellon and Julliard as well. Both are amazing if I can get my audtion tape recorded for julliard and not wimp out about sending it off then maybe I'll be on my way.

What stage in life is everyone at still in school, about to finish Uni?
I am not in school at the moment on gap year looking after my grandma/looking for a job!
Original post by STL94
I’m starting to prep too my chosen schools are;

East 15 - Acting foundation
Rose burford -Acting BA
Bristol Old Vic Theatre - Acting BA
LAMDA - Acting BA

Just wondering if any one has any information or advice on these schools. wither it is accommodation, environment , course content or opinions.

Thanks

Out of interest, why are you applying to do a foundation at East 15 but BA courses at BOV and LAMDA?
Reply 17
Out of interest, why are you applying to do a foundation at East 15 but BA courses at BOV and LAMDA?
<br />
<br />

Hey, im applying to East15s foundation course as a back up in case I don't get into a BA course, that way I can get experience and reapply the next year. Plus its the only foundation course that you can get student finance with :smile:
Original post by STL94
<br />
<br />

Hey, im applying to East15s foundation course as a back up in case I don't get into a BA course, that way I can get experience and reapply the next year. Plus its the only foundation course that you can get student finance with :smile:

Oh thats interesting - do you know why E15's foundation course is the only foundation to get government support? Is it more intensive or something?
Reply 19
Oh thats interesting - do you know why E15's foundation course is the only foundation to get government support? Is it more intensive or something?

yeah i think they base it on course content, if it's a full time and its accreditation- which it is as it is accredited by the university of essex.

Quick Reply

Latest