The Student Room Group

Daily Mail People

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
More people = more tax = more money for the NHS therefore it can expand to meet demand.

Not when we're importing millions of extra people who can't/won't work and are a huge net drain on the welfare state and economy. Do you imagine that all immigrants go straight into a job? 70% of immigrants from outside of the EU are unemployed and non EU immigraion makes up the overwhelming majority of immigration. You only get taxes from those in work. We might as well be flushing our money down the drain.

Also the government is more than able to curb immigration if and when it becomes and issue.

Even if we stopped immigration now we'd still be screwed as the amount we've had already will be enough to sink the country in terms of draining wealth, intercommunity tensions and pressure on infrastructure. Anyway the govt love mass immigration as it provides an endless supply of cheap labour for their pals in business, they won't curb it until people are falling off the country through lack of room.

Without the immigration of nurses to the UK the NHS would have been ****ed a long time ago.

I hear that irrelevant argument all the time. So what, that's highlighted a problem with our eductaion system. We should train our own doctors and encourage some of our feckless citizens to have some drive and ambition at school so they will want to become doctors instead of living a life on benefits. Surely that is better than draining doctors from the 3rd world. Anyway these people aren't coming here to work for free I'm sure they're very glad to be able to come here to work as doctors and be paid the 2nd highest doctors wages on earth, so forgive me if I don't feel too grateful to these selfless foreign doctors coming here to save the nation for purely altruistic reasons.

Lets be honest the biggest strain on the NHS is the elderly. Maybe we should deport them and bring in able bodied people instead? After all that is what would be best for the NHS?

Utterly offensive. Why shouldn't we look after our elderly properly with the amount of debt we owe to their generation? A civilized country can be judged on how it cares for it's elderly.

They didn't ask for the country's (their) wealth to be decimated through the flooding of the UK with more people making demands on it. They paid in all their lives and deserve to be looked after, you propose deporting them in favour of importing more demands on the system with people who've never paid a penny in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DanRBlake
And you actually believe that government backed pro immigration propaganda?! Funny how another report out at the same time totally contradicted these results. The govt are depserate to hoodwink the population into the fallacy that immigration has been good for the country. It hasn't.

Some politicians now admit it has displaced and devalued the low skilled British worker.

What was it? Of 2million jobs created under labour 99% went to people from outside of the uk! What's the point in having these jobs if not to benefit the people of the country, we may as well have just sent the money abroad straight away to save us the hassle.

Look around you, how many British people do you see working in bars, hotels, restaurants? Let alone factories, historically these jobs would be the fist step on the ladder for our young people now many are languishing on the dole because of mass immigration.

It's not rocket science. We have 2million+ unemployed, there have been nearly 10million extra people in the country over the last 13 years, if those people hadn't come we'd have full employment. Quite straight forward really.

This isn't a govt report. This was an independent report. The government had nothing to do with this report, so I don't know what you are on about here.

I see more british people working in bars, restaurants than foreigner so I don't know what you are on about here either.

Unless you have evidence to back your claim that we'd have full employment if there wasn't any immigrants, then I can't exactly take this supposedly obvious fact seriously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not when we're importing millions of extra people who can't/won't work and are a huge net drain on the welfare state and economy. Do you imagine that all immigrants go straight into a job? 70% of immigrants from outside of the EU are unemployed and non EU immigraion makes up the overwhelming majority of immigration. You only get taxes from those in work. We might as well be flushing our money down the drain.

So wait now immigrants aren't working at all? Half of the immigration skeptics are claiming the immigrants are taking all the jobs, and the other half are claiming none of them want to work. Which is it?

TBH sounds like it's straight from the daily mails mouth, one minute the immigrants and foreigners are taking all the jobs, the next minute they are all coming here and going on the dole.
Reply 64
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
So wait now immigrants aren't working at all? Half of the immigration skeptics are claiming the immigrants are taking all the jobs, and the other half are claiming none of them want to work. Which is it?

TBH sounds like it's straight from the daily mails mouth, one minute the immigrants and foreigners are taking all the jobs, the next minute they are all coming here and going on the dole.

Oh please. What a total lack of nuance. Surely it's not that hard to understand?

I'll spell it out for you. We have such a huge amount of immigration that it is perfectly possible (as it's happening) to have a large proportion of unskilled migrants from the 3rd world who are going stright to the benefits offfice at the same time as having a large number of highly motivated low/medium skilled work force from Eastern Europe who are working for less and displacing the lower end of the British workforce.

It's really not difficult to grap despite your aparent lack of ability to undertsnd this simple concept instead of making false polarisations of the situation and pathetic straw man arguments.

Nice own goal there
Oh please. What a total lack of nuance. Surely it's not that hard to understand?

I'll spell it out for you. We have such a huge amount of immigration that it is perfectly possible (as it's happening) to have a large proportion of unskilled migrants from the 3rd world who are going stright to the benefits offfice at the same time as having a large number of highly motivated low/medium skilled work force from Eastern Europe who are working for less and displacing the lower end of the British workforce.

It's really not difficult to grap despite your aparent lack of ability to undertsnd this simple concept instead of making false polarisations of the situation and pathetic straw man arguments.

Nice own goal there

Erm no actually it wasn't an own goal by any means. The report I sourced even pointed out that with an increase in population brought an increase in consumer demand and created more jobs and driving a multiplier. This is basic economics.

The reason we have so many unemployed is A) we are never going to have full employment immigrants or not, as far as I'm aware we've never had full employment, even before immigrants started coming and B) if you didn't notice, we had a market crash in 2008 then a recession unfortunately one of the effect of a recession is increased unemployment. So even without immigrants we would still have high levels of unemployment. This is not something that is new to this country or the world for that matter, we have always gone through a boom and bust, with a boom we have low unemployment with a bust we have high unemployment. You only have to go as far back and the early 90s and late 80s to see the relatively similar situation that we were in. And this was before labour "opened the borders".

Now you can shout "you made a strawman argument" all you want but given you cannot even provide one source of information to back up this claim that without immigrants we'd have full employment and since I counter this claim (again of which you cannot provide a source for) it's rather hypocritical of you to claim I'm using a "strawman argument".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
I have to stop myself reading the comments when I read articles on the Mail Online sometimes... They annoy me so much sometimes haha.

The people who comment are hardly a fair representation of society though or even readers of the paper as a whole; just the ones with too much time on their hands.
Reply 67
Original post by redferry
'some NHS trusts'

also not balanced against money being brought in.

ostrich.jpg
Reply 68
Who cares. There will always be newspapers catering for different tastes, and exercising political bias. Don't like it; don't read it. Problem solved. Why would you read something that made you angry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read it for thorough entertainment. I get my red pen and correct spelling and grammar mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by HistoryRepeating
That doesnt explain the 600 people who downvoted the comment that Race doesn't matter, the person does.

race does matter though. it matters to everyone else. the only people who are supposed to not think that it matters are 'white' people.
Reply 71
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
Erm no actually it wasn't an own goal by any means. The report I sourced even pointed out that with an increase in population brought an increase in consumer demand and created more jobs and driving a multiplier. This is basic economics.

The reason we have so many unemployed is A) we are never going to have full employment immigrants or not, as far as I'm aware we've never had full employment, even before immigrants started coming and B) if you didn't notice, we had a market crash in 2008 then a recession unfortunately one of the effect of a recession is increased unemployment. So even without immigrants we would still have high levels of unemployment. This is not something that is new to this country or the world for that matter, we have always gone through a boom and bust, with a boom we have low unemployment with a bust we have high unemployment. You only have to go as far back and the early 90s and late 80s to see the relatively similar situation that we were in. And this was before labour "opened the borders".

Now you can shout "you made a strawman argument" all you want but given you cannot even provide one source of information to back up this claim that without immigrants we'd have full employment and since I counter this claim (again of which you cannot provide a source for) it's rather hypocritical of you to claim I'm using a "strawman argument".

thats not basic economics at all. if mass immigration was a benefit. if it increased demand the economy would be soaring by default. only it is not.
Original post by kombu
race does matter though. it matters to everyone else. the only people who are supposed to not think that it matters are 'white' people.

Race shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter to me and to a lot of other people.

Saying "its ok to be racist because most people are racist" is not an argument, its literally idiotic.
Original post by kombu
thats not basic economics at all. if mass immigration was a benefit. if it increased demand the economy would be soaring by default. only it is not.

Except you are assuming ceterus parabus, which is obviously *******s.

For all you know without the positive effect of immigration over the last decade, Britain could be in a much worse economic position.
Reply 74
Race shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter to me and to a lot of other people.

Saying "its ok to be racist because most people are racist" is not an argument, its literally idiotic.

being racially aware if not racism though.
Reply 75
Except you are assuming ceterus parabus, which is obviously *******s.

For all you know without the positive effect of immigration over the last decade, Britain could be in a much worse economic position.

there is no positive benefits of mass immigration. britain is a de-industrialising welfare state. its economic insanity to have have an open border policy and import hundreds of thousands of units of cheap, poor Labour units every year.

even is they work they are generally in low paid jobs. they not only saturate the job market, driving down wages and pitting the poor and working class into dog eat dog competition for jobs, they are also massive burdens on the welfare system.

the only immigration which is positive is targeted immigration to specific job shortages.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kombu
being racially aware if not racism though.

What do you mean by "being racially aware"? And more specifically, how does that disprove the statement "Race doesn't matter, its the person that counts"?
Original post by kombu
there is no positive benefits of mass immigration.

Citation needed

they not only saturate the job market, driving down wages and pitting the poor and working class into dog eat dog competition for jobs,

Citation needed.

they are also massive burdens on the welfare system.

Citation needed.

the only immigration which is positive is targeted immigration to specific job shortages.

Citation needed.
A lot of Daily Mail reader's response to anything in the news (not saying ALL of them are but most of them seem to be like this)

"OMG OMG BROWN PEOPLE!!! AAARRRGHH!"
"Kick all the immigrants out, Cameron! We don't want them here!"
"I'm voting UKIP/BNP!"
"[insert celebrity here] looks so disgustingly fat and ugly lately! She should be tied to a huge weight and dropped off a cliff so that no one will have to see her fat and ugly face on TV again!"
"Ban this [insert subject here]! Everyone start a petition/boycott [something]!"

:rolleyes: Neg me if you like, but the truth is a lot of the people who read that paper are self absorbed stuck up *****.
Original post by kombu

Yes it is basic economics, demand isn't soaring right now because of the recession caused by the finacial colapse of 2008.

Before the recession we saw 40 successive quarters of growth, this was also the time when we saw a surge in immigration, the increase in demand was a contributor to the economic growth. Why don't you look at the real issues as to why we have such unemployment rather than the usual scapegoat of "it was the immigrants".
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending