The Student Room Group

A couple of questions

Hello,

Its my first post here, just to explain I am thinking of studying medicine but am still considering, along with a couple of other options, I am not completely certain. I have a few questions if anyone studying/about to study medicine can help.

Firstly, Although I have A level chem grade A I dont have biol, not even to AS. Although I know not all med schools insist on it, is it likely that it would put me at a disadvantage or is it not a big problem

Secondly I am quite an emotional person and worried that I might get upset at coping with patients who are really ill. Basically, do you learn to kind of "switch off" from it, and not spend all night worrying about people? Also Im worried that I am only considering as reaction to family members being ill. Is it possible to be an emotional person and still cope with it?

I know I have to get my head straight and think about it all properly but of anyone could help it would be great, or any other advice.

Thanks
Reply 1
Doctors are supposed to be empathic - so having said that I wouldn't worry too much about your emotions. I think everyone instinctively reacts to people being sick, but after a while you'll be able to deal with it much better; professionalism, you know?

But ultimately you're the only one here who can tell whether you think you're apt for it or not.

With regards to bio, there is a reason why not all med schools require it. If you get a spot, wouldn't you read up on some anyways, out of interest and for an easier start?

Do some work experience and see if it's for you - that's my recommendation. That might teach you something about your emotions too.
Reply 2
Thanks for reply,

I did do a bit of work experience but to be honest it didn't really help me decide, perhaps I could organise some more. Yeah I can look at Biology myself just thought perhaps admissions tutors might find it a bit strange that I didnt want to do it.

Hmmm Im still not sure about the coping thing, I am ridiculously over emotional, just worried I couldn't switch off and id spend my whole life worrying about other peoples problems.

Sorry, one more question. How could studying/practising medicine conflict with my Christian faith? Would it cause any problems?

Cheers
Reply 3
Have you already got your A-Levels? If so, what subjects are they in? Is there a college nearby where you could do an evening class for AS Bio?

Nobody can answer about whether or not you'd cope with it all. I think you have to learn to empathise but not sympathise with everyone - to understand their problems and how they're making them feel, but not get emotionally involved with every single patient.

As for being a Christian, well it depends how devout you are and what rules you follow. You could have problems if you don't want to have any involvement in arranging abortions for people, but you can avoid that by simply not working in reproductive medicine. I'm not sure what else could be a problem unless you already have some ideas you're worried about?
Reply 4
Hello,

Thanks, my A levels are in Maths, FMaths, Chem, Physics, Music and GS. Only Biology I have is single subject GCSE. Yeah I could prob study it myself, I just wasnt sure how it would look to admissions tutors etc that I hadn't chosen it in the first place.

With the emotions thing, do you think that you are that type of person already or do you learn to do it as you study medicine?

Christian-wise my beliefs are what most ppl would call conservative evangelical. for example, dont agree with abortion except in certain circumstances, dont agree with sex before marriage, euthanasia etc. Big problem? I know a christian in medicine but hes a Psychiatrist so i guess thats not too much of a prob, what about as a GP?

Cheers
Reply 5
the lack of biology could be a problem. But speaking from experience, if you're not completely sure about medicine. Don't do it. Its a not a committment one can take lightly.
Reply 6
JennyL
Christian-wise my beliefs are what most ppl would call conservative evangelical. for example, dont agree with abortion except in certain circumstances, dont agree with sex before marriage, euthanasia etc. Big problem? I know a christian in medicine but hes a Psychiatrist so i guess thats not too much of a prob, what about as a GP?
There are many, many Christians doing medicine, there are plenty of people from all religions infact.

The important thing I think to remember is that we can have our beliefs but our patient's beliefs are supposed to come before ours. That's obviously a lot easier said than done and I know a number of people who refuse to practice that (worth a GMC referral do you think?). In any field of medicine you will encounter patients that don't match up to your beliefs and you may be asked to condone things which you wouldn't normally, however, as procedures go, you are free to refuse to see and do certain things (within reason). Having said that, it might be better to talk through this issue with someone at medical school if and when you get closer to the point of needing to - both you and they will have a better perspective on the issue.

Hope this helps.
Reply 7
Yeah that is very helpful thanks
As for abortion, I thought (and Bodies seems to back me up) that you could work in O+G and choose not to do them, as long as you were prepared to refer patients to another doctor. There was something in the paper a while ago about those who would not refer being reported to the GMC, but I thought those were the regulations.

If anyone knows anything else please feel free to post, as this is an important issue for me also.
Reply 9
You are free to decline to perform abortions yourself, and to refuse to sign the declaration referring someone for an abortion. However, you cannot deny them access to treatment and as such must refer them to another doctor who would be willing to do it.

I think abortions are one of the few areas where there are hard and fast laws - things like euthanasia are still illegal so for now that would not be a problem. As for people having sex before marriage, you can't let your beliefs affect your treatment of them. They are still entitled to whatever treatment they are seeking, regardless of whether you approve of their sex life. How you choose to deal with this is up to you.

Latest