The Student Room Group

Want to drop my course, but issues with accomodation - help?

Hello.

I'm currently on a university course that I originally thought I would enjoy, but after a couple of months of the course I have already decided it's just not for me.

I want to take a gap year and then potentially go to university depending on how my life is going.

However, my accommodation has it's final payment coming up on April 14th, and too my knowledge you do not receive your third payment of your maintenance loan if you drop out, which I need to cover my accommodation.

My accommodation is roughly £1800 and my loan only gives me around £1500, but without that I would have to pay the full £1800 without a loan.

I've tried ringing up finance however can't seem to get in touch with the right people. So I have a couple of questions and I am also just looking for some advice.

Is it true that if I drop out of my course they will not give me the final installation of my maintenance loan?

It looks like I am trapped into staying onto my course and just wasting around 10weeks to ensure I get my loan then dropping out on April the 15th, which obviously I don't want to do.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also should mention I am currently looking for someone to take over my accommodation and then I can leave the next day, however the odds of someone moving are not too high and I am going off of the presumption that no one wants to take over my accommodation.

EDIT2: Also, what is the Student Finance England number? I've found a few however they seem to be for applying for a loan, not discussing your current one. Thanks again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Curtisth
Hello.

I'm currently on a university course that I originally thought I would enjoy, but after a couple of months of the course I have already decided it's just not for me.

I want to take a gap year and then potentially go to university depending on how my life is going.

However, my accommodation has it's final payment coming up on April 14th, and too my knowledge you do not receive your third payment of your maintenance loan if you drop out, which I need to cover my accommodation.

My accommodation is roughly £1800 and my loan only gives me around £1500, but without that I would have to pay the full £1800 without a loan.

I've tried ringing up finance however can't seem to get in touch with the right people. So I have a couple of questions and I am also just looking for some advice.

Is it true that if I drop out of my course they will not give me the final installation of my maintenance loan?

It looks like I am trapped into staying onto my course and just wasting around 10weeks to ensure I get my loan then dropping out on April the 15th, which obviously I don't want to do.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also should mention I am currently looking for someone to take over my accommodation and then I can leave the next day, however the odds of someone moving are not too high and I am going off of the presumption that no one wants to take over my accommodation.

EDIT2: Also, what is the Student Finance England number? I've found a few however they seem to be for applying for a loan, not discussing your current one. Thanks again.

yes you are right about it- you will not recieve your student finance so unless you can find someone to take over you either have to stay or pay the fees.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
yes you are right about it- you will not recieve your student finance so unless you can find someone to take over you either have to stay or pay the fees.

As soon as I receive the payment in april will I be able to drop out?
Or will I have to stay the whole year..?
Hello.

Thanks.

Your best bet is to finish the year (even if you're not enjoying your course) then drop out, reapply and start afresh. You should get student finance for all 3 years of the new course. Does this help?
As soon as I receive the payment in april will I be able to drop out?
Or will I have to stay the whole year..?

If you perhaps let the accommodation office know now then they could try to find someone who was interested in taking your place before you pay your first installment. At my uni if you dropped out you only paid for the days you stayed there until you moved out. The only way you paid for the full terms fees was if you just moved into other accommodation but didn't drop out of uni. Have you checked your contract?
Echo what jelly said.

Also, if you get £1500 I am assuming to get some grant. So if you found someone to take over your contract today and left tomorrow they would request some of the grant back. The same as if you stay until the April installment and drop out,SFE will ask for the grant back. They work pro rata on grant, but loan is payed back as you would if you had graduated ie. after you earn over X amount.

0845 300 50 90 is the number for SFE. Its used for both application questions as well as questions for current loan receivers.

Have you got a students union you could discuss this with, or at the very least your personal tutor?
Who is your landlord? If it's the university, then it's normal for them to release you from your contract if you drop out of university.

If it's a private individual / company then unfortunately you are in the situation described above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending