The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1 ~ 10th January 2013 ~ Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
What do you think 50/70 would be?
Reply 61
Youve missed out the endothermic question!
Reply 62
if im being pessimistic, I will have gotten 60 marks according to this mark scheme.

What grade is that? Please tell me it's an A, I really don't want a B!
Original post by PoorLoser
if im being pessimistic, I will have gotten 60 marks according to this mark scheme.

What grade is that? Please tell me it's an A, I really don't want a B!

In January 2012, 60/70 was 92 UMS, a very comfortable A.
Reply 64
Original post by SomePotential
In January 2012, 60/70 was 92 UMS, a very comfortable A.

but are these all of the answers? because there may be more i got wrong
and also jan 2012 has the lowest grade boundaries didn't it? do you think the grade boundaries for this one is lower? personally, this test was 100 times harder than the past papers :/
Reply 65
C3H6 or C4H8?
Reply 66
Original post by baker96
C3H6 or C4H8?

this is what i was thinking...
isn;t it shorter chain??
Reply 67
For your question with the answer as Zn. Wasn't there anything in the question mentioning its an ion. No one panic. Only I seem to remember this so it seems unlikely. This lead me to the answer of Ga. i accept i may be plain wrong. BTW thanks for spending your time to help piece this mark scheme together.
Reply 68
Original post by Ayesh123
What do you think 50/70 would be?

Pretty sure it would be a B.
Original post by PoorLoser
but are these all of the answers? because there may be more i got wrong
and also jan 2012 has the lowest grade boundaries didn't it? do you think the grade boundaries for this one is lower? personally, this test was 100 times harder than the past papers :/

I'm fairly sure I have included all the questions now, but the total marks is out of 74 (too generous in some mark allocations). However, irregardless of grade boundaries, 60 is an A. The highest ever grade boundary for A was 58/60, and this paper will likely have lower boundaries.
Reply 70
Original post by baker96
C3H6 or C4H8?

I think they're both right depending on what your reason for choosing it was, I put C4H8 because it's easier to turn from gas to liquid as the boiling point is higher
Reply 71
Original post by zohaib029
For your question with the answer as Zn. Wasn't there anything in the question mentioning its an ion. No one panic. Only I seem to remember this so it seems unlikely. This lead me to the answer of Ga. i accept i may be plain wrong. BTW thanks for spending your time to help piece this mark scheme together.

Nop, you had the mass no. and the no. of neutrons.
Mass no. - no. of neutrons = proton no. = atomic = identity of element.
They just wanted the identity of it i guess, which was Zinc or Zn. I was a cheeky bugger and wrote the mass and atomic no. anyway :tongue:
Reply 72
I'm fairly sure I have included all the questions now, but the total marks is out of 74 (too generous in some mark allocations). However, irregardless of grade boundaries, 60 is an A. The highest ever grade boundary for A was 58/60, and this paper will likely have lower boundaries.

The total raw marks was out of 74?!? Isn't it usually 70?

Nope, fairly certain there were no mention of ions in that question. The introduction to the question talked about isotopes and the question asked if an isotope with a mass number of 68 had 38 neutrons, what element is it. Seeing as no one else has mentioned it, you probably read it wrong. :frown:
Original post by UKBrahs
The total raw marks was out of 74?!? Isn't it usually 70?

It is out of 70, my mark scheme is out of 74. This is because I wasn't sure how many marks were allocated to each question and I ended up being generous on some of them.
Reply 75
According to the unofficial mark scheme I scored about 57-58 marks, do you think that would be an A or a B??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
I've created a bit more finished mark scheme, but allocated marks quite generally. Currently, the mark scheme is out of 74. This mark scheme is not conclusive and may contain errors.

g. Write down the equation for the complete combustion of ethanethiol (CH3CH2SH). [2]

Correct equation - CH3CH2SH + 3.5O2 -> 2CO2 + 3H2O + SO2;

Correctly balanced;

For this question, I count 9 oxygen atoms on the right (4 for 2CO2, 3 for 3H2O and 2 from SO2) and so it should be 4.5 O2 on the right hand side, not 3.5
Reply 77
f. Type of reaction between ammonia and nitric acid? [1]

Neutralisation

would an endo thermic reation work please reply haha

i got 9 wrong being generous
what is my grade or predicted might be a B as paper was mostly easy
Reply 78
Original post by Attz_09
f. Type of reaction between ammonia and nitric acid? [1]

Neutralisation

would an endo thermic reation work please reply haha

i got 9 wrong being generous
what is my grade or predicted might be a B as paper was mostly easy

No.. Ammonia is basic and nitric acid is acidic thus the reaction is an acid-base reaction or neutralization reaction.

9 questions wrong would be 61/70 which is defo an A.

This is exactly what i got haha but no one believed me and said i was wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending