The Student Room Group

GCSE choice help

Hello,

I am a Year 9 student and I will be choosing my GCSE's in approximately a month! I have had several problems because I am not 100% sure which career path I would like to follow! I also don't know which subjects qualify as "easy a's" or "definite fails" so if you do use these terms please explain why the subject is whatever!
I have to do the following:
Triple Science
German and Spanish
English (Literature and Language)
Maths (I am also doing an i-GCSE)
Religious Education
Citizenship (ASDAN- could someone explain what it is!)
I also have to do Physical Eduction and PSHE, both are non-exam!

These are my choices, there are some I don't want to do:
Geography (I have to do either History or both!)
Art and Design (I have no artistic talent)
Drama
Information Technology (I can also do Computer Science)
Business Studies
BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Sport
Music (I play the Cello and the Piano)
Latin (If I do Latin, I have to also do Greek and I only have 2 years to study it)
PE (GCSE) (I am not sporty enough to do this)
History ( I have to do either this or Geography)
Textiles Technology (Design & Technology)
Product Design (Design & Technology)
Graphic Design (Design & Technology)

Unfortunately I can only chose 3 out of the above, in my school we have to be be able to qualify for the English Baccalaureate so I have to chose a humanity. I lack artistic talent so I shan't be doing anything creative but drama hasn't been dismissed! I also really want to do Latin and Greek but I don't know if I can learn 2 new language while also juggling 2 more!

What I want to know is which GCSE's should I take and why?

I apologise for the spelling and grammar errors throughout this text but I am using an iPhone and autocorrect is, sadly on!

Passioire
Reply 1
Do what interests you. I found history GCSE really interesting but the exam is comparatively hard, geography was a lot easier for me. Music might be good to provide contrast for you and make your timetable a bit more interesting - it will give you a break from normal class. IT's quite a fun GCSE in class (you'll spend all your time on a computer), I think quite coursework based, but the content is pretty boring.

Languages go well together but obviously it restricts you for choice for your A-Levels, but in the end you'll only be taking a few A-Levels and you have quite a few to choose from already with your already chosen GCSEs. It can help to take more languages because you'll come across similar patterns in grammar/tenses for example. If you love languages, then don't be afraid to take 4! some of my friends did and they're very happy they did. You've got all the essential ones (sciences, maths and english) so you can't go wrong really.
Reply 2
Unfortunately if I chose Latin I will only have one other choice because I have to do Greek as well! I was actually thinking of doing Geography as I get fairly high levels! Thank you for providing this insightful help, I am truly grateful!

Quick Reply

Latest