The Student Room Group

Average maths graduate salary

What is the average salary for a maths graduate nowadays?

I've done a google search and I can't seem to find any recent stats for maths grads.

I've seen that the average graduate salary overall is around the £25,000 mark, although that might be a year or two out of date.

I'm just wondering what sort of salary I should be aiming for when i graduate this summer.

There are people who I know who graduated last year and have found themselves graduate jobs, but are being given salaries around the £18,000 to £20,000 mark. Although having said that, they were not maths graduates, but I am still a bit concerned at how low that is.
I know a girl who has a PhD in maths (true story) and she started with around €60k in consulting.
Not sure that info helps, but might motivate you to pursue further studies.
Whatever the mean (I don't know it) I think it's going to have large standard deviation. Because my perfect job (when I finish my maths degree) would be in the cryptography department of GCHQ. However this has a starting salary of about £26000. A LOT of my friends at uni who do maths want to go into finance, where the starting salaries can range from £25000 - £50000 roughly. So if you get some going into finance and earning £50000 and some going into over things earning £20000 - £25000 I think there will be a lot of variation.

I also think maths may be one of those degrees where your starting salary can depend on where you studied a little (more likely to to get the high wage finance job offers).
Reply 5
I think TheIrrational has hit the nail on the head. Massive variance in starting salaries. (Also probably a long tail as well)
A lot of mathematicians go into accountancy and actuarial, which pay at or slightly below average to start with, but then within 3-5 years you'll be on £50k+. This isn't taken into account in graduate salary figures as those are typically taken 6 months after graduation.
Original post by Hedgeman49
A lot of mathematicians go into accountancy and actuarial, which pay at or slightly below average to start with, but then within 3-5 years you'll be on £50k+. This isn't taken into account in graduate salary figures as those are typically taken 6 months after graduation.

Well actuaries have starting salaries above average, even before the training - ~30k

Original post by TheIrrational
Whatever the mean (I don't know it) I think it's going to have large standard deviation. Because my perfect job (when I finish my maths degree) would be in the cryptography department of GCHQ. However this has a starting salary of about £26000. A LOT of my friends at uni who do maths want to go into finance, where the starting salaries can range from £25000 - £50000 roughly. So if you get some going into finance and earning £50000 and some going into over things earning £20000 - £25000 I think there will be a lot of variation.

I also think maths may be one of those degrees where your starting salary can depend on where you studied a little (more likely to to get the high wage finance job offers).

Woo same! :biggrin: Currently :tongue: Go to school down the road :3

Quick Reply

Latest