The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Reading University Primary PGCE 2013

Hello,

I have applied to Reading University to carry out a PGCE in Primary Teaching. My interview is on the 22nd January. I was wondering if anyone had any tips that might be able to help me at all. I have chosen the book I wish to discuss. However, I have yet to book my skills tests. I have read that you have to do these before your interview. Has anyone not done these before their interview and just taken confirmation?

Any help would be great

Thank you

Katie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Katie, I have an offer from Reading for a Primary PGCE starting September 2013. You don't need to have passed the skills tests before interview, just before the start of your course. I took my skills tests after my interview and got an offer from them before they knew that I had passed, so don't worry about that. However, I would recommend booking them ASAP as if you have passed, that will be an advantage, get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it.

As for the book, don't worry about the two minute time limit for the presentation, they let you go over time. You'll be fine as long as you speak clearly and coherently about the book and how it will help children to learn.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Advanced
Hi Katie, I have an offer from Reading for a Primary PGCE starting September 2013. You don't need to have passed the skills tests before interview, just before the start of your course. I took my skills tests after my interview and got an offer from them before they knew that I had passed, so don't worry about that. However, I would recommend booking them ASAP as if you have passed, that will be an advantage, get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it.

As for the book, don't worry about the two minute time limit for the presentation, they let you go over time. You'll be fine as long as you speak clearly and coherently about the book and how it will help children to learn.

Thank you for your reply. Congratulations on your offer! I have now booked my tests. They are the last Saturday in Feb so I have some time to prepare for them.

I have chosen a book that isn't well known. My brother is an author and has written a few children's books, so I have chosen one of his and have completed a mind map on why it is a good book e.t.c.

How did your interview go? Did they ask you generic questions such as why do you want to be a teacher, or questions such as give me an example of when you?

Thank you again for your reply! It is really helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Advanced

Hi and congratulations on your place. I have an interview on the 12th March and was just wondering how many other applicants were at your assessment day? Only reason I ask is clearly there are a number of assessment days and limited places on the scheme, particularly if they are giving places already. Any idea on the number of applicants that got places from your assessment day? Any information about the whole assessment day would be great!
Reply 4
Original post by LDellow1989

Hi and congratulations on your place. I have an interview on the 12th March and was just wondering how many other applicants were at your assessment day? Only reason I ask is clearly there are a number of assessment days and limited places on the scheme, particularly if they are giving places already. Any idea on the number of applicants that got places from your assessment day? Any information about the whole assessment day would be great!

There were 15 of us - I'm afraid I have no idea how many of the others at my interview day were also given an offer, or the total number of places available on the course. Not all of the applicants at my interview were applying for Primary - some were applying for Early Years and Primary with French, I don't know the number of places available on the 3 courses I'm afraid. There's not much advice I can give really other than to look at all the information you've been given on your interview email and learn everything they've told you to learn - good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Hi Katie,

I'm at the same interview day on the 22nd! :smile: I havn't yet done my skills test either and just trying to think of what needs to be included in the presentation part with our books! Hopefully it will be fairly relaxed? Look forward to meeting you anyway :smile:

Jess
Reply 6
Hi Jess,

Nice to know someone else who is going. Are you applying for Primary or French or early years? I hope the snow will be gone, as i live in southampton at the moment and everything is shut.

You looking forward to it?

Katie
Reply 7
Original post by Kberry1989
Hi Jess,

Nice to know someone else who is going. Are you applying for Primary or French or early years? I hope the snow will be gone, as i live in southampton at the moment and everything is shut.

You looking forward to it?

Katie

Hey Jess,

How did your interview go? I am so impatient, I want to know already lol

Katie
Reply 8
Original post by LDellow1989

Hi!
I'm at the same interview day on the 12th March! I was also wondering about how many people might be there and hadn't realised interviews have already taken place.....How are you feeling about it? I'm nervous excited :redface:)

Emily.
Reply 9
Original post by EmBon87
Hi!
I'm at the same interview day on the 12th March! I was also wondering about how many people might be there and hadn't realised interviews have already taken place.....How are you feeling about it? I'm nervous excited :redface:)

Emily.

Hi Emily,

It's good to know someone else going on the same date! I'm nervous too, it's alot of pressure knowing that they have already made some decisions. Have you done your skills tests yet?

Laura
Reply 10
Hi,
sorry its taken me so long to reply- haven't been too well. I haven't done them yet, have booked numeracy for sat and literacy for thurs, but now a bit nervous about the numeracy one as having a flick through it looks a lot harder than i'd thought! How about you? Is it the expectation that we do them before interview?

Emily
Reply 11
Original post by EmBon87
Hi,
sorry its taken me so long to reply- haven't been too well. I haven't done them yet, have booked numeracy for sat and literacy for thurs, but now a bit nervous about the numeracy one as having a flick through it looks a lot harder than i'd thought! How about you? Is it the expectation that we do them before interview?

Emily

If you have done them before interview it looks good, but it's not necessary for you to.
Original post by EmBon87
Hi,

Emily

Hi Emily,

Sorry to hear that, I hope you're feeling better. If you go on the teaching agency website you can find online practice tests for numeracy. I've been practising from them and it really helps so don't worry! Mine are tomorrow so fingers crossed I pass first time and good luck for yours. You don't have to pass them before interview but it does give you an advantage.

Laura
Reply 13
Hey guys I'm just checking in with everyone; have you all done or booked your own skills tests? I assumed it was part of the process on the day but looking at the posts on here many of you have booked your own?

Al
Reply 14
Original post by a_j_h
Hey guys I'm just checking in with everyone; have you all done or booked your own skills tests? I assumed it was part of the process on the day but looking at the posts on here many of you have booked your own?

Al

The skills tests happen independently of the university. No university provides the skills tests, you have to arrange them yourself online, and you will take them at a test centre (the same ones where people do driving theory tests).

You have to pass both tests to be accepted onto any teaching course. Once you've passed them both, they're valid for whichever uni(s) you apply to (though some unis may require you to take extra tests, Reading don't aside from a 45 minute written task, which won't take you the entire 45 minutes to do).
Reply 15
I have friends who have also applied to start in sept but at different universities and they have all had to do the tests on the same day as the interview and at the uni; so I think this is why I was confused. Thanks for your help!!
Reply 16
Hi! For those who already have offers, does anyone know if/how we apply for the government teaching bursary? Everything I've read online seems to suggest that Reading will apply for us once we've satisified the conditions for the course, but the letter they sent offering me a place says 'you must contact student finance England requesting application details for the maintainance award for PGCE', which seems to suggest otherwise. Trouble is I've already applied for my loans/grant and at no point has there ever been anything about the bursary. I'm going to give Student Finance a ring, but just wandered what others were doing with regards to this.
Thanks! Congratulations on all your offers, and good luck for those still with interviews!!
Reply 17
I'm really worried that so many people have already had interviews! My interview's on the 7th of May, any advice for the day?

Jess
Reply 18
Original post by Jesslng
I'm really worried that so many people have already had interviews! My interview's on the 7th of May, any advice for the day?

Jess

Hi Jess,

I'm at the interview tomorrow too! Feeling really nervous now!! Which course are you applying for? I'm going for Primary with French - really don't know what to expect for the written task?!

Good luck!

Hannah
Reply 19
Hello! I'm in Reading now I got the train at 6 this morning, didn't want to be late! I've applied for primary with early years, I'm getting really nervous now too! I've practised a few things but you can't really go into too much depth on just one side of A4!

Good luck to you too!

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest