The Student Room Group

Girls playing 'guy games'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3
If they changed the ending and made the story a bit better and longer, I would have thought it was worth £43

I don't have Black Ops 2, only have the 1st one. I only play it for the zombies to be honest

well i got it for £30, and yea zombies is the only reason i got COD
Original post by cartasiac
The saddest day ever: when I met a really attractive girl who was into hardcore games, and those games were COD: MW, MW2 and Black Cops. The relationship failed due to "irreconcilable differences" :frown:

She was only into COD? That's... well. Limiting to say the least.

:colonhash: entirely understandable.
you've got an xbox in the kitchen?
Reply 43
Original post by desdemonata
She was only into COD? That's... well. Limiting to say the least.

:colonhash: entirely understandable.

There were a few other choices, but they were not...redeeming. If only she had liked Left 4 Dead, then there might've been some leeway!
Original post by cartasiac
There were a few other choices, but they were not...redeeming. If only she had liked Left 4 Dead, then there might've been some leeway!

Never played it :erm:
Original post by McCaffery
well i got it for £30, and yea zombies is the only reason i got COD

The only places near me were doing it for £40+ :unimpressed:
Reply 46
The only places near me were doing it for £40+ :unimpressed:

:eek: i got mine just after christmas as they were selling them at half price :smile:
Original post by McCaffery
:eek: i got mine just after christmas as they were selling them at half price :smile:

Ahh, I was a bit impatient and bought it like a week after it came out :colondollar:
Reply 48
Original post by Rianne!
Hey, so, I'm 17, and pretty much the ONLY girl I know that plays decent games. By decent, I mean Halo 4, all the Assassin's Creed games, Skyrim and Oblivion. COD just doesn't appeal, although I do like Zombies. When I mention I game, I usually get a few 'seriously, gaming? wow.' looks, but why? Does anyone find it weird that a girly-girl (which I can be) plays quite 'violent' games? X

Where is the meaning in violent video games, if it is not real anyway? I don't understand it really. It is a kind of fight where you risk nothing and just press buttons. Violent video games are making a fortune out of fuelling a false elation and sense of achievement. Rip off enterprises for the dull minded. Sorry but if you want to be a combatant, stick some boxing gloves on and bash someones face in and feel what it is like to be punched yourself. At least it is real and not living some pathetic virtual kind of delusion. Big deal, you punch keyboards. Give me a film or a book any day than a bloody computer game. At least I will feel I am not wasting my time.
Reply 49
Ahh, I was a bit impatient and bought it like a week after it came out :colondollar:

too eager i guess lol, good things come to those who wait
Reply 50
Original post by Avolil
Im not far into it, Im currently on my way to Winterhold to look for the Elder Scrolls :smile: Totally addicted atm though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've completed just about every quest inside Whiterun and Riverwood, and barely explored past the Throat of the World. Heck, I've only just learned "Fus-roh"! I'm one of those people that tends to spend ages on making sure every single little bit of one area is complete before I move on to another... makes for a long game. :frown:

Original post by aWildPidgey
you've got an xbox in the kitchen?

At least they leave the basement.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
I've completed just about every quest inside Whiterun and Riverwood, and barely explored past the Throat of the World. Heck, I've only just learned "Fus-roh"! I'm one of those people that tends to spend ages on making sure every single little bit of one area is complete before I move on to another... makes for a long game. :frown:

At least they leave the basement.

Damn, I knew I'd forgotten something this Christmas. I just went around revelling in how cool my weapons and armour were :ahee: without actually managing to complete the main quest. Damn :sigh:
Original post by Marco1
Where is the meaning in violent video games, if it is not real anyway? I don't understand it really. It is a kind of fight where you risk nothing and just press buttons. Violent video games are making a fortune out of fuelling a false elation and sense of achievement. Rip off enterprises for the dull minded. Sorry but if you want to be a combatant, stick some boxing gloves on and bash someones face in and feel what it is like to be punched yourself. At least it is real and not living some pathetic virtual kind of delusion. Big deal, you punch keyboards. Give me a film or a book any day than a bloody computer game. At least I will feel I am not wasting my time.

I find that to be a fairly blinkered existence to be honest.

Video games can achieve amazing things. Damien Hirst, who's extremely famous 'The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living' from 1991 has said that video games are the median which allow humans to explore impossible concepts.

Coming from someone who did boxing for half a decade, I've learnt alot more from video games 'for the dull minded' than I did from boxing. It's not delusions, it's the active control of your mental focus, and you can really develop powerful cognitive skills from video games. A true fight isn't about risk anyway. It's about perfection of self and form, and that's exactly the same concept in video games.

I find it odd that you discard video games but not films or books. Don't get me wrong, I love both, and am doing my degree in Literature. But games are just another median that the author employs to convey a message, and they can have a greater cathartic effect than even a film due to the personal psychological experience for the player. Many modern film directors acknowledge that video games are "the films of the future" - Guillermo del Toro, and appreciate them as works of art.

Anyway, just my thoughts on it. It's ok to not like something, but I thought I'd show you some stuff that might make you realise that video games have alot to offer, and in the same way you dislike them others could dislike your hobbies "just because".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by desdemonata
Damn, I knew I'd forgotten something this Christmas. I just went around revelling in how cool my weapons and armour were :ahee: without actually managing to complete the main quest. Damn :sigh:

Hah, at the moment I've made it to Ebony armour without even leaving South-East Skyrim - achievement or what? :ahee:

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I find that to be a fairly blinkered existence to be honest.

Video games can achieve amazing things. Damien Hirst, who's extremely famous 'The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living' from 1991 has said that video games are the median which allow humans to explore impossible concepts (not just death).

Coming from someone who did boxing for half a decade, I've learnt alot more from video games 'for the dull minded' than I did from boxing. It's not delusions, it's the active control of your mental focus, and you can really develop powerful cognitive skills from video games.

I find it odd that you discard video games but not films or books. Don't get me wrong, I love both, and am doing my degree in Literature. But games are just another median that the author employs to convey a message, and they can have a greater cathartic effect than even a film due to the personal psychological experience for the player.

A true fight isn't about risk anyway. It's about perfection of self and form, and that's exactly the same concept in video games.

Don't forget this! http://www.ted.com/talks/gabe_zichermann_how_games_make_kids_smarter.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Dragonfly07
I don't think it's unusual for girls to game. I think girls in general might avoid gaming sites where there's a lot of abuse towards literally anyone (like COD). The easiest people to insult are basically non-whites and women. Most of the insulting people are not even sexist or racist, they just find it funny that they can insult someone over the microphone.

I used to be sick at this, the mic made me sound about 7 so it just infuriated people even more! I can see why gaming is still seen as a guy thing to be fair it's just an ingrained stereotype, of the girls I know who play games, most exclusively play Sims 3.
Original post by Orihime
Why do you feel the need to bring your gender into it? It appears like many of the so-called girl gamers are fishing for a spot of attention. As if being a girl gamer is rare or a feat of some sort...

Why are some guys so sensitive about the fact someone brings up that they're a girl? Some of us might find it offensive that everyone assumes we're male in-game. Why do you have to be bitter about it and think its for attention? Are you jealous because you don't get enough yourself?
If you get any it's usually the negative sort (show tits amg). Besides, a lot of guys do treat it like it's rare and a feat of some sort, lol..

But er, more on topic.. I play RPGs (eg Skyrim <3) but not really into shooting/action games :biggrin: except maybe if they lean more towards survival horror and have great atmosphere. Silent Hill 2's old but awesome, Resident Evils are decent as well though Resi 5 was definitely just an action game ;_ ; I used to watch my dad play them as a kid so I guess there's some nostalgia that draws me to those sorts of games. Amnesia was awesome from what's been released more recently, waiting on the sequel now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Some random guy
Where are you gaming girls? Another dimension?

Also annoys me when girls feel the need to advertise that they're a girl to the world when playing online.

The only reason i ever mention it online... is if some guy is being obnoxious/arrogant... - beating him, then mentioning that hes been beat by a girl - especially if he is american... - usually just pisses them off so so much :wink:
Reply 57
I play FIFA and COD plus other PS3 featured or normal games.

Im a girl, but also gay.

Idk any straight girls who game.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 58
Original post by fallen_acorns
The only reason i ever mention it online... is if some guy is being obnoxious/arrogant... - beating him, then mentioning that hes been beat by a girl - especially if he is american... - usually just pisses them off so so much :wink:

I do it all the time :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 59
Original post by Orihime
Why do you feel the need to bring your gender into it? It appears like many of the so-called girl gamers are fishing for a spot of attention. As if being a girl gamer is rare or a feat of some sort...

Because, as I said in my post, I'm the only girl I know that plays these sorts of games. I don't expect any attention AT ALL for a hobby, that's a ridiculous assumption. Thank you for SUCH a lovely and constructive comment :smile:. God.

And to those who has answered genuinely, thank you! :biggrin: I've finished the Companions questline and the College of Winterhold questlines, got 5 or so daedric artifacts, and currently doing a few misc. quests :smile: I've been wanting Dishonoured for so long! :O And I'm personally an Xbox gamer, but my Live is ****ed up atm :'(

Quick Reply

Latest