The Student Room Group

Help - Need Advice!

So basically im on my gap year and was looking for work along my voluntary work etc. So i got really happy when i goti a interview at this company SSC Marketing. They apparently recently opened a office in nottingham as their based in london! However after i got called back for the 2nd interview stage i decided to do some research. And all i found is how similar companies like LMS are a scam. But the thing that worried me was the similarities between SSCM and LMS. The interviews were exactly the same and both are based in London and Nottingham. When i checked the SSCM website their london adress was exactly the same as LMS LONDON adress! What should i do should i go to the interview and possibly do 9hours door to door sale(manager just told me it would last 9h and would be outside) and i heard that the salaries are really low so i might as well be on JSA! The main thing is that i dont know if SSCM is just another scam as i heard LMS uses a lot of names. Or if the bussiness is genuine? And if it is a scam can i just quit in the middle of the interview?Feel stupid as that was literally my first interview :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rim991
So basically im on my gap year and was looking for work along my voluntary work etc. So i got really happy when i goti a interview at this company SSC Marketing. They apparently recently opened a office in nottingham as their based in london! However after i got called back for the 2nd interview stage i decided to do some research. And all i found is how similar companies like LMS are a scam. But the thing that worried me was the similarities between SSCM and LMS. The interviews were exactly the same and both are based in London and Nottingham. When i checked the SSCM website their london adress was exactly the same as LMS LONDON adress! What should i do should i go to the interview and possibly do 9hours door to door sale(manager just told me it would last 9h and would be outside) and i heard that the salaries are really low so i might as well be on JSA! The main thing is that i dont know if SSCM is just another scam as i heard LMS uses a lot of names. Or if the bussiness is genuine? And if it is a scam can i just quit in the middle of the interview?Feel stupid as that was literally my first interview :frown:

I have a friend that worked for a similar company. It's not a scam, everything they do is legal. However, they try their best to pay you the minimum amount possible. When he was there, he was told to register as a self employed, and he would only be paid commission. They aren't scams, they are heartless means of making sure they don't spend too much on staff. During those two weeks he only sold about 4 contracts, that was a total of £120.
Reply 2
Thank you ! I myself recently found out (by doing a lot of research) that the SSC Marketing is owned by the same guy who owned London Marketing Service. And i also read some past employers working in recruitment who basically said the same thing .I never went to the 2nd interview(today!). Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Rim991
Thank you ! I myself recently found out (by doing a lot of research) that the SSC Marketing is owned by the same guy who owned London Marketing Service. And i also read some past employers working in recruitment who basically said the same thing .I never went to the 2nd interview(today!). Thanks

Haha, I had an interview with them after they opened an office in Manchester. I don't think it's a scam but it's just one of these cheap and easy, high staff-turnover type things.

I know you said you didn't go to your second interview but here is the experience of mine. We were told we would be set tasks through out the day, whilst out at an "event" with other members of staff. Here are the seriously strange things that took place..

-Took the train to Warrington (a town about half an hour out of the city centre). We had to pay for our train tickets which was like £8 which I thought was a bit suspish.
-I wanted a part time job, so I told them 3 days a week was what I would be able to work, as that 9-5 fitting around my other job would have been great. They told me it would be ten hour working days ONLY when I got to the second interview!
-When I was told it would be an "all day interview" I asked what time it would finish. I was making first-date arrangements for the evening and was told I would be done by 5.30. At 6.30 there was no sign of leaving. This was the point I realised it wasn't for me, I made up something about having a client meeting (as I worked as an MUA at the time) and said the hours weren't going to be suitable.
-Commission only stuff just rings massive alarm bells to me.
-They only told me that it was commission only during the second interview when I asked them.
-They placed this massive emphasis on "company progression" and how quickly you could move up and be running your own office in no time. You had to be like on the third rung of the ladder to be on an hourly rate or salary.

It's not a "scam" but definitely the kind of work where you need to know exactly what you're getting yourself in for.

Out of interest, what are you doing now? I'm in a similar position to yourself and have no idea what to do for the next nine months (but I need a job!)
I have had a similar experience where I applied for a job like that. It's not a scam, but job is commission based,.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi everyone.
I was supposed to have an interview with SSC Marketing tomorrow but after reading all of your replies I am not going anywhere tomorrow! Thank you ! :smile:
Reply 6
I worked for Thinking forward events for 1 year, It is not a scam and they do not change the names due to reviews, they don't care about that. The reason they are under different names is because that is someone who has recently opened up their own office from starting at entry level like everybody else. So if anything that is a good thing as it shows progression and growth. Everything they do is legitimate. The only people who are bitter about these companies and call it a scam are the people who don't understand the concept of the business and do not have a work ethic. Whilst I was there I saw many people get promoted to management and because I do not have an ego I can put my hands up and say I didn't get to management because I didn't put enough of the right actions in. I have to pay £600p/m rent and was never short and I really enjoyed every single day which I worked there and everyone there is really lovely.The bottom line is, if you have always dreamed of running your own successful company and you have a good work ethic and enjoy having fun then go for it. Test the second interview out for yourself, because it has by all means developed me hugely as a person.
Reply 7
Like I said, I no longer work for the company any more, so I am getting paid nothing. I just really have no hard feelings at all, they treated me very nicely and it was a lovely environment to work in. The company doesn't deserve bad press and yes..they are a sales company and I can safely argue no-one ever lies or is told to lie, it is an impulse factor called 'power of suggestion'; the well educated will know. I think that people who bitch and moan about this company or any others like it have a serious chip on their shoulder. They were either really bad at sales or they are never going to be successful if they do not have a work ethic. Anyone who is majorly successful in this world has worked blinking hard for it and have worked all of the hours under the sun. Research it; because anyone who thinks that they can get it handed to them on a plate must be dreaming.
Reply 8
Hello I have an interview with this company on monday and was doing some research when I found your post!
Today I had a telephone conversation with a lovely lady about the company/myself and role, she was nice enough to put me forward for a interview with the manager. I've just graduated from uni and haven't done a job like this before, but what attracted me was the role of an events for Events trainee assistant. It would be really helpful to know your own experience within the company regarding roles and if you could give me any advice reading the position :smile:
Original post by Abey2468
Hello I have an interview with this company on monday and was doing some research when I found your post!
Today I had a telephone conversation with a lovely lady about the company/myself and role, she was nice enough to put me forward for a interview with the manager. I've just graduated from uni and haven't done a job like this before, but what attracted me was the role of an events for Events trainee assistant. It would be really helpful to know your own experience within the company regarding roles and if you could give me any advice reading the position :smile:

I too have finished Uni recently, and I would not bother going any further. Do not go for any interviews, make any further contact, nothing.The problem is these 'companies' absolutely plague job sites like Monster and Reed, and with so many of them/so many changing names, its rather difficult to get away from them.

A further name I'd like to add is PROLOGIC ACQUISITIONS. I was initially hooked in[...]. I went through their website, could not find any [...] clients or even any reviews about them. But thought may it is genuine, why, I do not know! Its obvious from the vague business jargon, and me wondering what on earth the company actually did that it isn't a 'proper' company. They sent me an email about an interview, then didn't say when it was for a week after. That second email came in at 8:30pm the night before for a 2:30pm interview. I saw sense and didn't bother. I now do a thorough check on companies/recruiters before I apply now, including a domain check.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello, I've been emailed for a interview tomorrow with this same company. The website seems pretty legit to me?? Was it the basil house, 105 portland street, Manchester where you were told to go?
Just wondering whether I should even bother..
Reply 11
i have an interview on 3rd sep 2014 (Wed) shoild i go?? i applied for the graduate job! if you guys are going i will too!
Reply 12
well when i applied it said graduate job so i don't know what u mean. i went today and he said they are looking for graduates. several people turned up today. i have to go for an assessment tomorrow where we get to meet clients and they will assess us. the interviewer said they have worked with big companies such as talk talk etc. /i will just have to go in tmz to find out more. i don't want to quit just yet!
Reply 13
just wondering how the assessment went? i have an interview tomorrow for the same job role.
Reply 14
How did it go? I've got offered a position and start on Monday. Not sure what to do.
Hey, what impression did people get from Prologic Acquisitions?

I had an interview today and the interviewer came across very well and professional. But having read the previous messages on here before the interview I tried to ask him what the job actually involved. He couldn't answer me at all and said it would be explained during the 2nd interview.

I was also put off when no one was in the office except the 2 people doing the interviews and they claimed 3 businesses operated from the same place. Sounded rather suspicious to me

Having discussed it with my family I think I'll be turning down the offer I got for the next interview, as door to door sales which I'm self employed doesn't sound like my thing. ( I'd happily work for minimum wage but certainly not commission only)
Reply 16
Its legit, but the work is 100% commission based door to door sales, then you go up the ranks to start managing people and that. Its ok if you have the right ming set, i've never seen more money driven people in my life. Wasn't right for me and I had I quit after a day. Didn't seem like a stable income and only finish at around 8.30pm
To be honest a job that doesn't even back an employee with at least the national minimum wage isn't for me. It might be decent for someone with a strong sales background, but I imagine for most it wouldn't be very profitable
Hi everyone I have an interview tommorow at Prologic Aquisitions in manchester. I got an email saying you will sit with the director tommorow
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Everyone has their own opinions and people follow people it's called sheep factors, the only way your going to find out if it's for you or not is to go to the interview and see for yourself ,no one knows better than you if the job role they are offering fits your work ethic or personality and for it being a scam it's really not I have worked in sales for a long time now and it's hard commission based work will be but believe me you feel so much better knowing at the end of the week you have worked hard for what you made. For people that are giving negative feedback its their opinion which isn't wrong or right everyone has the right to speak their mind, if it was me I wouldn't follow anyone I would go and see for myself. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending