The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Do I even have the slightest change of getting into LSE Economic?

Thank you in advance for your times.

I am applying for Economic, and the aim is LSE and UCL. I have been studying the UK for 2 years and before that I was studying in an international school. I come from an Asian background and have a chance to work in a country Ministry of Finance and did various researches. ( particularly about transition of intensive labour sector within SEA and AEC). My personal statements included many work experience, my inclination of economic and various projects I have finished. (notably setting economic up in a gaming platform)

Yet, my grades from As were quite poor as I did the UK system coupling with the Thais, and some languages certification. Hence, I would like to know the chance of getting into the two Unis?

Maths: A
Furthermaths: Pending (Overall A, my school didn't cashed it in)
Economic: B
Physics: B
Geography: C (I miss one exams each from Economic, physics and geography, due to personal issues)

My predicted grades are as following. Maths A*, Physic A, Economic A.

Thanks alot for your time.
Reply 1
Original post by dayofs

I am applying for Economic, and the aim is LSE and UCL. I have been studying the UK for 2 years and before that I was studying in an international school. I come from an Asian background and have a chance to work in a country Ministry of Finance and did various researches. ( particularly about transition of intensive labour sector within SEA and AEC). My personal statements included many work experience, my inclination of economic and various projects I have finished. (notably setting economic up in a gaming platform)

Yet, my grades from As were quite poor as I did the UK system coupling with the Thais, and some languages certification. Hence, I would like to know the chance of getting into the two Unis?

Geography: C (I miss one exams each from Economic, physics and geography, due to personal issues)

Quite low. Only 13% of applicants for Economics at LSE receive offers. And the majority of these applicants have many A*'s and A's at GCSE and A-Level.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by GPODT
Quite low. Only 13% of applicants for Economics at LSE receive offers. And the majority of these applicants have many A*'s and A's at GCSE and A-Level.

Thanks for your reply.

But are there any cases where students who have spec similar to mine got an offer? and what range of uni ranking is plausible for A*AA?
Reply 3
Original post by dayofs
Thanks for your reply.

But are there any cases where students who have spec similar to mine got an offer? and what range of uni ranking is plausible for A*AA?

There probably are SOME people who got offers but they are a minority. I'm not saying its impossible but Economics at LSE is one of the MOST competitive courses to get into. With an A*AA prediction you can apply to any of the top unis so if I was you I'd choose 2 strong options, 2 average ones and one backup
Reply 4
Original post by GPODT
There probably are SOME people who got offers but they are a minority. I'm not saying its impossible but Economics at LSE is one of the MOST competitive courses to get into. With an A*AA prediction you can apply to any of the top unis so if I was you I'd choose 2 strong options, 2 average ones and one backup

Thanks for your reply. I hope it goes well.

I just got a news from one of my friend (international student). He got AAA predicted grades and was lucky enough to get an offer(A*AA) from LSE economic. Could be because he is an international students. (Im in the UK T^T)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes, you do.

Is it a good chance? No.

But it's a chance nevertheless. Someone might read your PS and think, this guy we want, for all you know. You have 5 choices so I'd say why not apply?
Reply 6
Original post by danny111
Yes, you do.

Is it a good chance? No.

But it's a chance nevertheless. Someone might read your PS and think, this guy we want, for all you know. You have 5 choices so I'd say why not apply?

Thanks for your reply.

I would say I am hoping on that minuscule chance.

Another question is, do I have a higher chance with UCL?(Doing my own research it is a yes, but it could be so small of a percentage that it makes no difference)
Original post by dayofs

I will say that you have a chance.
I have a friend last year who got an offer whilst being predicted only A*AA and had only one A* at GCSE.

He had a crazy personal statement though, very unique and tailored to LSE's criteria etc

So make sure yours stand out and that everything is relevant! Have someone read it -critically- and assess it!

I applied this year for economics too so good luck to both of us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by OnimushaGTA
I will say that you have a chance.
I have a friend last year who got an offer whilst being predicted only A*AA and had only one A* at GCSE.

He had a crazy personal statement though, very unique and tailored to LSE's criteria etc

So make sure yours stand out and that everything is relevant! Have someone read it -critically- and assess it!

I applied this year for economics too so good luck to both of us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck to you as well. If both of us got into LSE, I would thank you deary for your good luck :biggrin: haha.
Original post by dayofs
Best of luck to you as well. If both of us got into LSE, I would thank you deary for your good luck :biggrin: haha.

haha thanks! :biggrin:
Where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by OnimushaGTA
haha thanks! :biggrin:
Where else have you applied? :smile:

All London uni, LSE, UCL, SOAS, QM and RH (though I want to apply for Oxford and Warrick)

This is because I got a house and a flat in some good london areas. And, my parent promised me a good deals to live in London with some of my relatives. In addition, I am doing my own business and I think being in London will supports that greatly :biggrin:

What about you?
Original post by dayofs
All London uni, LSE, UCL, SOAS, QM and RH (though I want to apply for Oxford and Warrick)

This is because I got a house and a flat in some good london areas. And, my parent promised me a good deals to live in London with some of my relatives. In addition, I am doing my own business and I think being in London will supports that greatly :biggrin:

What about you?

Ah ok that makes sense! + that's a good range as well!
You should definitely have tried Warwick I think, it's pretty good (or Oxford, but that's even more competitive!)
I applied to LSE, City, Warwick, Durham and Bristol (I have offers from the last three) (Y) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending