Things I wanted to know about Liberty Park

Scroll to see replies

Ah yeah I have, thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
I have a question about the bathrooms! Is there a hook in them or somewhere to hang things, as that'd be useful.
Reply 22
Original post by Anniestasia
I have a question about the bathrooms! Is there a hook in them or somewhere to hang things, as that'd be useful.

There's one hook on the back of the bathroom door, and the sink has a sort of bar built into it for a towel to be pulled through.
Another thing about the bathroom, there's an extractor fan for it. The switch to turn it on/off is usually above the bedroom door. Most people I knew kept it turned off because apparently you can be charged if the motor burns out? I'm not sure about that, but the point of me telling you this is that the switch for it is above the bedroom door. The switch for the bathroom, in all the rooms I've seen, is on the same plate as the bedroom switch. Whichever switch is closest to the bathroom is the bathroom's light, that's how I remembered.
Thanks! Now I know I could hang a bag on the door to put my washes and stuff in. This is an extremely useful thread :smile:
Reply 24
Thanks! Now I know I could hang a bag on the door to put my washes and stuff in. This is an extremely useful thread :smile:

I'm glad it has helped so much! That was the intention, trying to ease minds and give people a place to ask the little questions rather than feel like they're bothering the staff by email or feeling anxious about what's there.

Speaking of staff, when you come to do your inventory form in a month's time make sure you're really thorough. I thought I was but then months later I found a crack in the light above my bed that I didn't put there and was charged for it :frown: no way to prove it wasn't me so be careful on that.
Righto, I'll be sure to check every inch of the room then for scratches and such! Thanks so much for all your help, seems so close to moving in time now! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Righto, I'll be sure to check every inch of the room then for scratches and such! Thanks so much for all your help, seems so close to moving in time now! :biggrin:

No problem! Good luck with moving in day :biggrin: I hope they've properly fixed block 7's lift by then, they should've done. Don't forget the red Spar trolleys in the car park, you may have to have a good hunt for them but they'll make things a hell of a lot easier!
Reply 27
i was just wondering about the internet in liberty park. it's link up right? with the ethernet cable? can i bring my own cause i heard you had to pay for it. and can you get wifi or not?
Reply 28
Original post by yazgilbert
i was just wondering about the internet in liberty park. it's link up right? with the ethernet cable? can i bring my own cause i heard you had to pay for it. and can you get wifi or not?

My boyfriend, who had already been living at Liberty for a year, set up my internet. I thought it would be simple but he made it overly complicated ??? He later realised what he could have done and passes on this advice:

"You can bring your own, and if you want WIFI you need to get/bring your own wireless "LINK POINT", a link point is DIFFERENT to a router. you CAN bring a wireless router but you need to set it up as a link point otherwise they won't let you use any of the internet, it's usually quite simple and there are instructions to do so available freely online and from ask4."

You can also buy the correct router from ask4 but they can work out as more expensive. I sent Liberty an email about the matter last year and they sent a reply detailing prices of different routers, though unfortunately I've deleted it.
On the move in weekend there will be a table of students working with/for Ask4 handing out ethernet cables and setup disks. You pay for the ethernet cable upon set up so don't take one of those if you bring your own, just take a set up disk. I ended up not needing mine because of my boyfriend's messing around for 20 minutes but my flatmate used hers without any issue.
Reply 29
Thanks for the thread. I'll most likely be moving in in September.
Reply 30
Some useful information here! Thanks for it! Anyone in block 1? What about the distance from DMU? Is it too far?
Reply 31
From an open day I went to recently, I'd say it's about a 5-10 minutes walk away. And I'll be in block 2 :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by ToTG
From an open day I went to recently, I'd say it's about a 5-10 minutes walk away. And I'll be in block 2 :smile:

Ah cool! Not too bad then? :P What are your impressions from the open day overall?
Reply 33
Original post by AVGA17
Ah cool! Not too bad then? :P What are your impressions from the open day overall?

It seemed organised, like they put a lot of effort into making sure everything was in place and happened at the right time, which it did. The guides and organisers were happy and seemed like they wanted to help.
The campus tour was useful and showed not only where everything was, but also have information about the SU and societies.
If I had one complaint, it would be that thre should have been more of a hands-on taster session instead of a speech about the course we were doing. As I'm going to be studying Journalism and Media, it would've been helpful to check out the Demon Media studios.
Still, it was a very good open day. I'd definitely recommend checking out the next one so you don't just have to take my word for it :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by ToTG
It seemed organised, like they put a lot of effort into making sure everything was in place and happened at the right time, which it did. The guides and organisers were happy and seemed like they wanted to help.
The campus tour was useful and showed not only where everything was, but also have information about the SU and societies.
If I had one complaint, it would be that thre should have been more of a hands-on taster session instead of a speech about the course we were doing. As I'm going to be studying Journalism and Media, it would've been helpful to check out the Demon Media studios.
Still, it was a very good open day. I'd definitely recommend checking out the next one so you don't just have to take my word for it :smile:

Unfortunately I will have to take your word for it, given that I'm from outside the UK and making the tre 'extra' trip will be a bit difficult. However I'm hearing good things so I think I won't be disappointed at all! Thanks though :biggrin:

Now, is anyone else close to LP-1-3-3d? :P
Hey this is about to sound so strange but I actually hate lifts and I'm on the 10th floor haha. So are the stairs really steep or will I be okay walking them haha
Original post by Aliceemorris
Hey this is about to sound so strange but I actually hate lifts and I'm on the 10th floor haha. So are the stairs really steep or will I be okay walking them haha

I didn't know there was a 10th floor but either way, I didn't find the stairs steep but there are a lot of them! I hate lifts too and lived on the 7th floor. I occasionally made myself get the lift and I'm still alive, but I often chose the stairs. You get used to it!

Quick Reply