The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em_cart
Hey everyone! We should arrange another tsr meet-up now that everyone is a bit more settled. It would be great to have a few more people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm definitely up for this :smile: maybe at the courtyard or something? when is everybody available?
University of York
York
Original post by abcdeflynn
i'm definitely up for this :smile: maybe at the courtyard or something? when is everybody available?

Not this weekend, or Wednesday night! Any other evenings I'm alright with, though.
Hi I'll be going to York this September and I've been looking at accommodation. I was looking at Langwith, Alcuin and James. Can anyone living there tell me about those colleges? I'm really considering Langwith but my department is on hes west, so I was just wondering if the traveling is a hassle and also is hes east very quiet and isolated?
Original post by Serafinaaaa
Hi I'll be going to York this September and I've been looking at accommodation. I was looking at Langwith, Alcuin and James. Can anyone living there tell me about those colleges? I'm really considering Langwith but my department is on hes west, so I was just wondering if the traveling is a hassle and also is hes east very quiet and isolated?

I'm in goodricke on hes east, so I can't tell you too much about langwith, but the campus and the travelling I can.
It is a bit quiet, though I guess it might be less so next year since they'll be another college over here, but personally I love it. It's kind of wild, and the amount of wildlife you see is crazy, there's rabbits everywhere!
The traveling is a bit of a pain, but you get used to it. There's a free bus that runs every seven minutes, so it's not too bad. The worst bit is when you want to go to a society or something on main campus in the evening, when the buses run less often, but I mean, the walk is only like, fifteen minutes maybe, it's not too bad at all.
Also the other thing is when you have an hour gap between lectures, there's absolutely no point coming back, so you have to be a little organised in terms of bringing your lunch with you and stuff like that. Though, I don't know what course you're doing, it may be less of an issue for you if you have less contact hours than I do :P Also, it does force you into doing some work if the only thing you've got to do in your gap is go to the library.
I didn't choose hes east, I ended up here because by the time I got into the accommodation system it was all that was left, but I love it here and I wouldn't change it for the world.
Also, the accommodation is so much better in goodricke than in langwith. Just sayin' ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2464
I'm In Langwith at the moment, so I have no qualms about saying that in terms of accommodation Langwith is definatly better, (with the possible exception of constantine) it is the only college with double beds, the kitchens probably slightly smaller but better furnished and much nicer looking. However those are the pro's the con's are its out of the way, you have to rely on buses which can be a real pain if you miss one by a matter of minutes, its miles out of the way of everywhere else. I know for me personally I dont get on with my flatmates too well so most of my friends are located on hes west so it can be a pain in terms of getting over there. Also Langwith is like the windy city. Also the cost of taxis back after a night out are slightly more expensive and inconvenient at times, my course is on hes west as well so it can be a massive downer to realise you have to get up at quater to 7 to have a shower make some breakfeast and head out in the rain to make your lecture/seminar on time. So personally I would avoid hes east for a hes west college.
Original post by Serafinaaaa

Hi, I live in Alcuin, it is a really nice college and as all the buildings are close together it is easy to get to know people in different blocks. Rooms in the newer buildings are slightly nicer but cost quite a bit more for what they are getting, plus more people in the kitchens. Location wise, we are right by the library which is really useful for me being a humanities/social science student. Being on Hes West is probably the best, no bus to catch for lectures and the longest walk I have had is to get to Wentworth which was about 10mins away. When I have been to Hes East it seems pretty quiet and there is definitely more going on over here in Hes West. Hope that helps a bit, any more questions, I'm happy to answer! :smile:
Most lively college on hes east?
I really like the look of hes east but very worried its not fun/lively enough as im quite like that haha - constantine looks really nice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending