The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Just so you know, York wouldn't have been able to tell from your application that they weren't your first choice, unless you wrote something in your personal statement about your first choice uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Reply 81
Original post by dark-blue
Yes, I wonder how the rivalry between Derwent and Langwith came about... If it exists at all (Maybe the two people just ahppened to be arch-enemies.).

"There’s never any drama because everyone gets along. Other than with Derwenters…We hate Derwent!" :tongue:

As a member of Langwith you'll learn during freshers that 95% of our chants consist of something to do with Derwent despite with us on Hes east no longer having the location rivalry. :P

Btw, the article above doesnt mention that we are now on Hes East and have gone from the worst to by far the best accommodation. :smile: Despite doing economics I would rather get the bus over to the other campus each day as I genuinely see the quality of accommodation as worth it. (+We have double beds). Also i've found that with getting the bus each day that i've formed quite a tight group with people on my course form Langwith compared to those from other colleges doing econ. :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by matthewoingram
Woohoo! That is crazy! Are you going to a York/Cardiff open day?? :smile:

I'm going to York on the 20th, but I'm not sure whether I'll go to Cardiff's, what about you? Thanks for the reading list by the way :smile:
Original post by Benny100
As a member of Langwith you'll learn during freshers that 95% of our chants consist of something to do with Derwent despite with us on Hes east no longer having the location rivalry. :P

Btw, the article above doesnt mention that we are now on Hes East and have gone from the worst to by far the best accommodation. :smile: Despite doing economics I would rather get the bus over to the other campus each day as I genuinely see the quality of accommodation as worth it. (+We have double beds). Also i've found that with getting the bus each day that i've formed quite a tight group with people on my course form Langwith compared to those from other colleges doing econ. :smile:

You're just hating on Derwent because we're the best. :tongue:
Original post by shaunakav
I'm going to York on the 20th, but I'm not sure whether I'll go to Cardiff's, what about you? Thanks for the reading list by the way :smile:

I'm in York on the 6th and Cardiff on the 27th :smile: And no probs on the reading list :smile:
Reply 85
Has anyone received offers for accounting yet? I applied months ago and still not heard anything :frown:((((
Reply 86
Original post by amlight1
Glad to see this thread exists, the main thread is so confusing and I don't even know if half of the people on it want to go to York :P
I'll be doing Educational Studies, possibly looking at James

Woop! I'm confirmed for Psychology in Education, which one are you looking at? :biggrin:
Reply 87
Hi :smile: this is an accommodation question. If I choose a 34 week let (the shortest one) in Vanbrugh (ensuite), do I have to move all my stuff out in the holidays? Is there any other storage spaces on campus where I can leave some of my things?
I live 5 hours away so I really don't want my parents to have to come and get me if I have too much stuff to get on the train with!
Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Daisy121
Hi :smile: this is an accommodation question. If I choose a 34 week let (the shortest one) in Vanbrugh (ensuite), do I have to move all my stuff out in the holidays? Is there any other storage spaces on campus where I can leave some of my things?
I live 5 hours away so I really don't want my parents to have to come and get me if I have too much stuff to get on the train with!

If you chose a 34 week let, you'd have to leave your accommodation at Easter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daisy121

Some people have been known to leave certain kitchen items there, but you really should take all of your stuff out of your room for the entire 5 weeks.
I'm not too sure about the storage facilities available, but I too live 5 hours away from York and that was why I chose a 39 week let. It really was the best option.
Reply 90
Original post by Naomiii.
Woop! I'm confirmed for Psychology in Education, which one are you looking at? :biggrin:

Yay more education related people!
I've just firmed York now, I think I'm going to go for Vanbrugh, it offers free band rehearsal space and I'm a big musician so it's perfect for me!
Reply 91
Yay more education related people!
I've just firmed York now, I think I'm going to go for Vanbrugh, it offers free band rehearsal space and I'm a big musician so it's perfect for me!

Woop! you're the first one I've met! :biggrin: I'm looking at Vanbrigh too, it's nearby and my cousin loved her time there :smile:
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Some people have been known to leave certain kitchen items there, but you really should take all of your stuff out of your room for the entire 5 weeks.
I'm not too sure about the storage facilities available, but I too live 5 hours away from York and that was why I chose a 39 week let. It really was the best option.

I was wondering if you could help me decide on a college. :confused: I gather you're somehwat biased towarsd Derwent :tongue: and that is where my subject's department is based, but are the other other colleges still in walking distance if the English department/ the shops or are there any which are far away from everything else? And do all the colleges have a strong sense of college spirit (from what I've heard it's mainly the Langwith/ Derwent people speaking up for their colleges)? Thanks!
Reply 93
Woop! you're the first one I've met! :biggrin: I'm looking at Vanbrigh too, it's nearby and my cousin loved her time there :smile:

Ah cool! Don't suppose you're going to an open day on the 6th March?
Reply 94
Ah cool! Don't suppose you're going to an open day on the 6th March?

No? I haven't heard anything about any of them, I keep checking you@york but nothing. Maybe I'll email them... Which education are you looking at?x
Reply 95
No? I haven't heard anything about any of them, I keep checking you@york but nothing. Maybe I'll email them... Which education are you looking at?x

I've been invited! Yay!!! :biggrin: Yes I will be :biggrin:
Original post by dark-blue
I was wondering if you could help me decide on a college. :confused: I gather you're somehwat biased towarsd Derwent :tongue: and that is where my subject's department is based, but are the other other colleges still in walking distance if the English department/ the shops or are there any which are far away from everything else? And do all the colleges have a strong sense of college spirit (from what I've heard it's mainly the Langwith/ Derwent people speaking up for their colleges)? Thanks!

Hi! Congratulations on getting an offer! :biggrin: You really will love York! It's a shame you'll be doing the same degree as my brother though. If you're going to the open day on the 6th February you might meet him. :tongue:

As for colleges, obviously I will hint towards Derwent. :tongue: But anyway:

Derwent is known as the most social college. It is also the oldest and does have the cheapest accommodation. Per floor, you're looking at around 20 people.

Alcuin is known for adventure and innovation. It only has en-suite accommodation. You can expect between 6 and 12 students per flat. Only self-catered options are available.

Halifax is known for sports. It also has a mixture of Undergraduates and Postgratuates. Some rooms have en-suite and some are just a standard. You can expect between 4 and 1 students per flat. Only self-catered is available.

James is known for international diversity. En-suite and standard rooms are available, with catered or non-catered options.

Vanbrugh is known for arts, especially music production. Catered or self-catered options are available, as are standard or en-suite. Between 8 and 12 people per flat.

Goodricke is known for a strong sense of community. Standard and en-suite options are available that are self catered. There are between 6 and 12 people per flat. There is also the option of a studio flat, where you live on your own.

Langwith is known for a strong spirit and arts links. Ensuite and standard options are available, that are all self catered. You can expect between 4 and 12 students per block.

Goodricke and Langwith are on Hes East and so you'd either have to catch a bus to the English, but it's free and runs every half an hour.
The English department is situated in Derwent so obviously it would be like a minute walk. Alcuin is probably the next closest, being more like a 5 minute walk. But even for the outermost colleges from the department (probably Halifax) it's only a 10 minute walk.

Here is the Hes West map.
http://www.york.ac.uk/media/abouttheuniversity/maps/heslington-west-map.pdf

Any other questions, just ask. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97

I've been invited! Yay!!! :biggrin: Yes I will be :biggrin:

Yay! I'm applying for Educational Studies, so my 3 years is gonna consist of learning, about learning. I can't wait!
Reply 98
Yay! I'm applying for Educational Studies, so my 3 years is gonna consist of learning, about learning. I can't wait!

Haha cool! Let's be friends!!! (okay, that sounds really geeky, but I'm so excited to have found someone else :tongue:)
Reply 99
Haha cool! Let's be friends!!! (okay, that sounds really geeky, but I'm so excited to have found someone else :tongue:)

I know the feeling, there's very few of us out there :P (I'm still trying to find another guy who's doing it, have a funny feeling I might end up being the only one :P)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending