The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2013

Hi!

This thread is for students firming the University of York for 2013 entry. I have firmed for English and Related Literature and I think I'm going to pick Vanbrugh college for accommodation. :smile:

See you all in October! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Glad to see this thread exists, the main thread is so confusing and I don't even know if half of the people on it want to go to York :P
I'll be doing Educational Studies, possibly looking at James
University of York
York
Reply 2
I'll be firming for law if I get an offer. Had my interview last Friday so I should hear in 3 weeks.

Will be picking Langwith
or Goodricke, I'm not too fussed it's just that Langwith's newer
Any questions at all from Freshers Week to settling in to finding your way around the university, fire away. :biggrin:

I'm a first year Chemist in Derwent college (And also matthewoingram's sister. He copied me) so just ask.

It's so exciting seeing you guys where I was last year!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Any questions at all from Freshers Week, to settling in, to finding your way around the university, fire away. :biggrin:

I'm a first year Chemist in Derwent college (And also matthewoingram's sister. He copied me.) so just ask.

I just got my offer for PPE and probably firm York after receiving all my offers. I have no idea about which college to choose , actually I found out about the existence of college system in York after receiving the offer :colondollar: When are we supposed to make a college choice? I am an international student (at least will be after my 1st year, I live in London now because of my parents' 4 year job relocation) , and, if you know about it, is there any storage facilities in the university? Thank you very much!! :smile:
Original post by euhemerus
I just got my offer for PPE and probably firm York after receiving all my offers. I have no idea about which college to choose , actually I found out about the existence of college system in York after receiving the offer :colondollar: When are we supposed to make a college choice? I am an international student (at least will be after my 1st year, I live in London now because of my parents' 4 year job relocation) , and, if you know about it, is there any storage facilities in the university? Thank you very much!! :smile:

Hey :smile: As she said, my sister goes to York (for the record, she copied me) so I know quite a lot about the uni :smile:

You make your college choice when you're applying for accommodation, so after you've got your results. This should give you plenty of time to visit the campus before you have to choose!

As far as accommodation goes, I'm not too sure about storage but I know that the uni does have 51-week room lets available. As accommodation is largely only provided for first year students, this would mean having to have a longer let on your second year accommodation (as far as I know, don't quote me on it :L)

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by matthewoingram
Hey :smile: As she said, my sister goes to York (for the record, she copied me) so I know quite a lot about the uni :smile:

You make your college choice when you're applying for accommodation, so after you've got your results. This should give you plenty of time to visit the campus before you have to choose!

As far as accommodation goes, I'm not too sure about storage but I know that the uni does have 51-week room lets available. As accommodation is largely only provided for first year students, this would mean having to have a longer let on your second year accommodation (as far as I know, don't quote me on it :L)

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, the 51 week lets are great news for me :smile: About 2nd and 3rd accommodation, I know from a friend who did her masters there that it's usually provided for internationals (at least non-EUs) as long as you meet certain deadlines... You are very lucky, you already know a lot about the university you are, going while the rest of us (or probably just me) will be wandering around with campus maps and emergency contacts list...
Reply 7
Firmed York for Genetics with a year in Europe (Valencia here I come). Have applied to start this October however have also applied to several american universities so in the very likely chance of being declined from all them, tempted to take another year out (currently on my gap year) defer York until 2014, get a year working visa for Australia and go live there for a year and re-apply to america.
Reply 8
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Any questions at all from Freshers Week, to settling in, to finding your way around the university, fire away. :biggrin:

I'm a first year Chemist in Derwent college (And also matthewoingram's sister. He copied me.) so just ask.

Hi :smile: I got an offer from York for Chemistry and it's going to be my firm choice. I was wondering why did you choose Derwent as oppose to Alcuin? When I went for my interview I was told most Chemist's applied for Alcuin. Just wondered your views on either of the colleges? I'm not sure which to apply for.
Thankyou :smile:
Reply 9
Firmed my unconditional offer for Adult Nursing! So excited! :smile:
Original post by hellochloe
Hi :smile: I got an offer from York for Chemistry and it's going to be my firm choice. I was wondering why did you choose Derwent as oppose to Alcuin? When I went for my interview I was told most Chemist's applied for Alcuin. Just wondered your views on either of the colleges? I'm not sure which to apply for.
Thankyou :smile:

Hey! Congratulations on getting an offer! It really is an amazing course. :biggrin: I chose Derwent because it's known as the most social college and I thought that would give me the best opportunity of making friends (I'm not the most easy person to talk to, haha). A lot of Chemists apply for Alcuin, but a lot apply for Derwent too. Really, just go with what you prefer when August comes. Derwent doesn't seem to have many ensuite rooms but I think Alcuin only has ensuite, so this may be a factor for you.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:
I've firmed for V100 History. Can't wait!

I noticed that Derwent has a reputation for being quite social. Do other colleges have particular reputations?
On the subject of colleges, is the collegiate system actually as strong as in other universities? I've heard that people don't really have the same sense of college spirit and see it more as a way of dividing the accomodation seeing as how teaching is college wide anyway. Plus because the university is quite young they haven't had as much time to develop an identity.
Reply 13
Hey everybody :smile: I'm firming for Writing, Directing and Performance- I've had my heart set on York for years so I'm thrilled to get an offer! :smile: is anyone thinking of applying for Langwith college? It's convenient for me as it's by the theatre on Heslington East but I'm worried it will be too quiet and not buzzy enough. Any comments about this? :smile:
Original post by Daisy121
Hey everybody :smile: I'm firming for Writing, Directing and Performance- I've had my heart set on York for years so I'm thrilled to get an offer! :smile: is anyone thinking of applying for Langwith college? It's convenient for me as it's by the theatre on Heslington East but I'm worried it will be too quiet and not buzzy enough. Any comments about this? :smile:

Well done! That was the course I originally wanted to do...then I switched to English! :L The facilities on Hes East look fantastic but yeah, the reason I don't want to go there is because I think it'll be too quiet.

I think there's a free shuttle bus running between both campuses that runs something crazy like every ten minutes though so living in Hes West might not be as inconvenient as you first thought! Also, living on Hes West you'll be closer to all the drama/TV/radio socs so it may work out to be more convenient, as you'll be more likely to be spending evenings in these areas which might make it harder to get back to Hes East :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dark-blue
On the subject of colleges, is the collegiate system actually as strong as in other universities? I've heard that people don't really have the same sense of college spirit and see it more as a way of dividing the accomodation seeing as how teaching is college wide anyway. Plus because the university is quite young they haven't had as much time to develop an identity.

I don't know...from what I gather all the students have a strong sense of college and even if the teaching isn't college wide, socially the uni's collegiate system works well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Still got to hear from Durham, but I'll probably be firming York :smile:

For Chemistry btw :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by matthewoingram
Well done! That was the course I originally wanted to do...then I switched to English! :L The facilities on Hes East look fantastic but yeah, the reason I don't want to go there is because I think it'll be too quiet.

I think there's a free shuttle bus running between both campuses that runs something crazy like every ten minutes though so living in Hes West might not be as inconvenient as you first thought! Also, living on Hes West you'll be closer to all the drama/TV/radio socs so it may work out to be more convenient, as you'll be more likely to be spending evenings in these areas which might make it harder to get back to Hes East :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that! Yeah, I think you're right- hes west will probably be better for me. :smile:
Good luck with your course! English at York looks great! :smile:
Reply 18
firmed for environmental science can't wait.
actually can not believe i got in with my track record
GCSE's 6 at C
a levels DDE
now doing an access course(easiest course in the world)

look forward to seeing you all there!:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Daisy121
Thanks for that! Yeah, I think you're right- hes west will probably be better for me. :smile:
Good luck with your course! English at York looks great! :smile:

No probs and thanks! Have you thought about a Hes West college you want to be applying to? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest