The Student Room Group

No Internship Offer... Again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indus
I swear that pretty much every university careers service give **** feedback for CVs for banking. I remember getting mine checked earlier this recruitment cycle and the feedback was just total **** (things like to add in an about me section at the top of the CV and to write some of my modules below my degree - pointless as I study a course completely unrelated to banking and no one will give a crap about what individual modules I have studied). Even some of the HR from banks have given me rubbish advice; I feel as though sometimes they just give advice for the sake of sounding knowledgeable; as though to say my CV was perfect or that the only thing to make it better would be a BB internship would make them not sound knowledgeable. All it says to me is that you have to take what recruiters/careers advisers say with a truckload of salt; and failing that, find someone who you can trust to know what they're talking about to check your CV (ie: not a university careers adviser who will advise on everything from science internships to journalism masters to banking internships).

This x10000000

I had an interview at MS legal and compliance and I go to a NON Target uni. careers were more interested in putting me on posters then giving me CV advise and interview tips. They knew nothing on BB, nothing of compliance, just generally nothing.

I walked out of their in 10 min and never went back. I trust what I have read over the years and through networking (the networking events you have to apply for) I have a few friends that check my CV. They are no bull**** people, and I love them for it.
Original post by charles-perry
A few of you probably know me already but for all the newbies heres my situation... etc

I sort of feel for you, in this environment it's tough having ambition that you're struggling to realise, and in this regard I wish you the best.

But then I looked over at WSO and I see you trashing banks; "MS is ****", "Citi is dying", and then I fail to see why you deserve a job if that's the way you think about the firms that might (/are failing to) employ you.

Also interested in your CV.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MinorityInterest
I sort of feel for you, in this environment it's tough having ambition that you're struggling to realise, and in this regard I wish you the best.

But then I looked over at WSO and I see you trashing banks; "MS is ****", "Citi is dying", and then I fail to see why you deserve a job if that's the way you think about the firms that might (/are failing to) employ you.

Also interested in your CV.

I'm not being picky though - I applied everywhere - MM firms, no-name firms, non-IBD places too. I'm not getting anywhere. Idk why. I'm not saying I deserve GS - I'm just really stuck as its the same BS over and over again with no exit option.

I was p***ed about the way people were treating me - like an inferior/second class citizen - even at uni just because I'm struggling to land interviews/offers. Everyone tells me 'Ill be fine its just competitive' etc - then what am i supposed to do about it?

It came out the wrong way yesterday as I had enough with all the lies (although I stand by my MS comment - if you haven't read my rejection story please check it out). I'm human and can only take so much. 4 years in the process... each year giving 200% with a positive attitude and hope... please don't tell me you would act differently and not be disappointed at all? How am I supposed to feel?

Happy to send over my CV - PM'd you.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not being picky though - I applied everywhere - MM firms, no-name firms. I'm not getting anywhere. Idk why. I'm not saying I deserve GS - I'm just really stuck as its the same BS over and over again with no exit option.

I was p***ed about the way people were treating me - like an inferior/second class citizen - even at uni just because I'm struggling to land interviews/offers. It came out the wrong way yesterday as I had enough with all the lies. I'm human and can only take so much. 4 years in the process... each year giving 200% with a positive attitude and hope... please don't tell me you would act differently and not be hurt at all?

Happy to send over my CV - PM'd you.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be frustrated in your place (I certainly would be!), but that's no good reason to go on other forums and spout nonsense about firms, dragging down the level of conversation there. I also fail to see how these firms treat you specifically badly, they don't treat anybody especially well.
Original post by MinorityInterest
I'm not saying I wouldn't be frustrated in your place (I certainly would be!), but that's no good reason to go on other forums and spout nonsense about firms, dragging down the level of conversation there. I also fail to see how these firms treat you specifically badly, they don't treat anybody especially well.

Fair enough. I'll watch what I post from now on.
Fair enough. I'll watch what I post from now on.

Yo, you heard back from that ER firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincePauper
Yo, you heard back from that ER firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. I emailed them after 1 week just to see what was happening (re-emphasising my passion to join them). She emailed back saying the CV I attached didn't open so I resent it. This was last week (mid-week). Still waiting. No rejection though...
(edited 11 years ago)
IBD. I applied for prop trading just to see if recruiters were maybe thinking I suited Trading more... I even got an interview at a prop trading firm abroad but was unsuccessful after the interview (long story what happened).
I did apply to loads of smaller places and consulting firms - no luck. (Infact some phoned and said I should apply to bigger firms. When i want to leave I should get in touch).

Did they ask for your Alevel module scores when you applied or?
Nope. I emailed them after 1 week just to see what was happening (re-emphasising my passion to join them). She emailed back saying the CV I attached didn't open so I resent it. This was last week (mid-week). Still waiting. No rejection though...

Ok. Did you change the cv a lil bit? Coz that was too Ibd-like for ER.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theseeker
Did they ask for your Alevel module scores when you applied or?

Nope just a CV and CL. The CV had my A level results though.
Original post by PrincePauper
Ok. Did you change the cv a lil bit? Coz that was too Ibd-like for ER.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yups :smile:
Went through what they were looking for and moulded it towards that.
I was p***ed about the way people were treating me - like an inferior/second class citizen - even at uni just because I'm struggling to land interviews/offers.

Jesus. I thought all that "LSE problem" stuff was satire.
Original post by JW

Don't care - will be a baller - show them I'm quality... one day :wink:
Reply 73
Original post by JW

I think this is what happens at the finance/econ degrees at all targets. I remember in 1st year, you were pretty much defined by whether you had a spring week offer
There are some truly sad people in the world.
Reply 75
Original post by ManagerMP
I think this is what happens at the finance/econ degrees at all targets. I remember in 1st year, you were pretty much defined by whether you had a spring week offer

I mean which uni was this ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Charles, I know you said that you have only been to 2 ACs with BB banks but approximately how many first round/telephone interviews have you been invited to? Was just wondering if you were mostly getting rejected because of these or just rejected pre-interview
Original post by klop114
Charles, I know you said that you have only been to 2 ACs with BB banks but approximately how many first round/telephone interviews have you been invited to? Was just wondering if you were mostly getting rejected because of these or just rejected pre-interview

I have been to 2 second round interviews - not AC's - with BB's (the same BB). At both I passed the first round at the same BB twice. I was also invited to an elite boutique and flopped the second face to face interview 2 years ago (it was one after another - passed one, got stuck on technicals on the other - my fault).

I have never been to a formal AC with the group exercise etc from an online application. (I have been to one AC though - but not for banking).

I was rejected pre-interview in 99% of cases. My frustration was that more of my apps were not going through to first round... if I kept failing interviews that would clearly mean I'm doing something wrong and I wouldn't be whining :wink:

Thanks for asking/clarifying :smile:
Does anyone have any further advice please? My eyes are 'bleeding' having applied to tonnes of places and nothing is sticking idk why. I either must be a really $hit candidate and not realise it or soemthing else is going wrong. Please can someone suggest what I should do?
Reply 79
Does anyone have any further advice please? My eyes are 'bleeding' having applied to tonnes of places and nothing is sticking idk why. I either must be a really $hit candidate and not realise it or soemthing else is going wrong. Please can someone suggest what I should do?

Check for spelling mistakes on future application forms/CV.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/133830/any-sort-of-cv-spelling-error-will-sink-your-chances/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending