The Student Room Group

Failed 1st year twice.......possible to get a good career doing another degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I did Business (I know not the hardest subject in the world), no excuses, my fault for failing, which I got seriously complacement. However, I have direction, determination and Civil Engineering is a field I would be enjoy.

Thanks Pharmachemist, I do have my work cut out and they said I defintely need an A-level Mathematics atleast grade B, although I grade C will suffice in cases. A-level Physics would be a big advantage, although an AS will suffice too.

I can't get complacement because I need to study hard to get the results first. I believe I can achieve this via books, private tutoring, internet, youtube, some mathematical websites as well as help from school.

I let you know I get on. Its A-levels, Access, work experience. If I get these, then I've got the ability to take on an Engineering course, since these are hard subjects, going from ground zero and building up step by step.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ivy91
I did Business (I know not the hardest subject in the world), no excuses, my fault for failing, which I got seriously complacement. However, I have direction, determination and Civil Engineering is a field I would be enjoy.

Thanks Pharmachemist, I do have my work cut out and they said I defintely need an A-level Mathematics atleast grade B, although I grade C will suffice in cases. A-level Physics would be a big advantage, although an AS will suffice too.

I can't get complacement because I need to study hard to get the results first. I believe I can achieve this via books, private tutoring, internet, youtube, some mathematical websites as well as help from school.

I let you know I get on. Its A-levels, Access, work experience. If I get these, then I've got the ability to take on an Engineering course, since these are hard subjects, going from ground zero and building up step by step.

I don't believe you could successfully complete an Engineering degree if you tried hard and only achieved a C in A Level Maths. You will need to be really confident with the concepts and methods in pure and mechanical maths. Maybe you can get away with having just an AS in Physics, but I highly doubt any respectable institution would let you in to study engineering without AA in Maths and Physics A Level. Good luck in any case!

I would only go to uni to study engineering if it were at a top 20 institution. If you can't get into a top 30 institution, don't bother doing engineering - consider a trade like Electrician or Plumber instead - you can earn just as much money that way.
Reply 42
Thanks,

I'm not sure about the top 30, I know I have a chance at the polytechnics, However, I do think realistically, it will have to be the polytechnics, on an MEng credititated degree, which is what I need.

My hope of getting into a red brick relies on A in Maths, which is a tall order, but possible at AS level and an A in AS physics.

I'm quite happy with a ploytechnic, which the degree is creditated anyway. Along with work experience, projects, clubs and societies. However, the MEng with accreditation is very important.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ivy91
Thanks,

I'm not sure about the top 30, I know I have a chance at the polytechnics, However, I do think realistically, it will have to be the polytechnics, on an MEng credititated degree, which is what I need.

My hope of getting into a red brick relies on A in Maths, which is a tall order, but possible at AS level and an A in AS physics.

I'm quite happy with a ploytechnic, which the degree is creditated anyway. Along with work experience, projects, clubs and societies. However, the MEng with accreditation is very important.

I don't understand how you can suddenly have developed a passion for Engineering, yet don't have any previous background in Physics or Maths?

My personal opinion (and arguably an opinion which an admissions tutor who does not know you will hold) is that you have just picked Engineering on a whim. You have not shown any interest in Maths or Physics up until now, your 3rd attempt at first year? It really does not look good, and for that reason you will simply not get any offers to study an accredited course - there are usually at least 5 applicants per place for accredited degrees: most of those applicants will have not failed first year.

You need to be very good at Maths to do an Engineering degree - a C at A Level will definitely not suffice. If you find halfway through your first year that you can't handle the Maths or you don't enjoy the concepts, what on Earth are you going to do?
Reply 44
How can you say I picked Engineering on a whim? I've looked at my options and I've thought about this and I would like to study something practical, creative and stimulating which I would like to become a strucutal, highway or infrastructure Engineer and the only relevant route is Civil Engineering. This degree is very intriguing which I would find enjoyable, with strucutal mechanics, water engineering, geotechnics, materials, design.

Yes I do have a very horrible start, however, I have 2 years of Maths, Access and work experience which if I can get the grades, will show the ability, along with the mitigating cirumstance. I'm taking a new start, which I'm building up skills and experience.

There are people who've failed A-levels or failed 1st, 2nd year who went on to graduate, maybe not as harsh as me. Hell, people who've messed up their GCSE's end up places at uni with an Access course.

Its a poor start and I'm doing everything I can and the only thing I can do is gain work experience, qualifications and try to make my case as strong as possible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ivy91
How can you say I picked Engineering on a whim? I've looked at my options and I've thought about this and I would like to study something practical, creative and stimulating which I would like to become a strucutal, highway or infrastructure Engineer and the only relevant route is Civil Engineering. This degree is very intriguing which I would find enjoyable, with strucutal mechanics, water engineering, geotechnics, materials, design.

Yes I do have a very horrible start, however, I have 2 years of Maths, Access and work experience which if I can get the grades, will show the ability, along with the mitigating cirumstance. I'm taking a new start, which I'm building up skills and experience.

There are people who've failed A-levels or failed 1st, 2nd year who went on to graduate, maybe not as harsh as me. Hell, people who've messed up their GCSE's end up places at uni with an Access course.

Its a poor start and I'm doing everything I can and the only thing I can do is gain work experience, qualifications and try to make my case as strong as possible.

Because you have changed your mind so much in the past few years - it all looks as if you haven't really thought about what it is you really want to do, and instead have just picked things for the sake of it - only to fail, and start again.

Engineering is one of the most difficult, conceptual studies there is: you had no interest in it while you were trying out Business, or the other degree, yet suddenly, when you're down on your luck, you become desperate, crave a good future, and consider Engineering because your uncle is one - if the University find out you have been getting work experience with your Uncle, it will look even more suspect: purely because it is all too "convenient" and easy - you haven't had to go far or look hard, you've just bugged your uncle until he's given you some work experience.

Simply put: you are clutching at straws, and are failing to admit that you have messed up uni. Most intelligent, self-aware people, would accept that they gave it a couple of shots, it didn't work, and that they now need to start working. You seem reluctant to offer any real criticism of yourself, and keep desperately stating how you could achieve this next degree. It's painful to witness, because quite frankly what we are all witnessing here on this thread, is a young man who is pissing his life away, making mistake after mistake, failing to learn from those mistakes, and wasting his parents money and his own time on trying to achieve a deluded goal of getting a degree. Why is it so important, really? You don't seem to offer any intelligent arguments, only; "if I do this, and this, and this, I can do this!"

Like I said, you'll have a very tough job of convincing an admissions tutor who does not know you, that you are genuine about Engineering and will be able to tough it out.
Reply 46
Original post by Dan Richardson
Don't go to a polytechnic university try a red brick university such as Lancaster university . Polytechnic institutions are not as good as red brick university's

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't be qualified to comment when you can't even spell universities.
Thanks for pointing that out I acknowledge got my information wrong and spelt something incorrectly best not comment when it's midnight as mistakes are made .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dan Richardson
Don't go to a polytechnic university try a red brick university such as Lancaster university . Polytechnic institutions are not as good as red brick university's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lancaster is not a Red-Brick, it's a 60s uni, not a Victorian one like Manchester :tongue:
Also, OP I don't think you'll be back here in 5 years (depending on whether you do MEng or BEng and whether or not you do a year in industry) with an Honours degree. Save yourself the pain, you clearly aren't cut out for university - it's pretty rare for people to fail the first year ONCE let alone TWICE. Added to this Engineering is up there with the most difficult of subjects to grasp (up there with Maths and the hard sciences, Medicine, Dentistry, VetSci) so the chances of you actually getting a 2.1 are slim. Furthermore, even the brightest of students fail to get a 2.1 and overall, engineering produces fewer firsts and 2.1s relative to many subjects - check out engineering programmes at Manchester on Unistats - very hard to get a 2.1.

TL;DR- go get a job/apprenticeship
Reply 50
how did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending