The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Combined Arts/Social Sciences at Durham University

Following my rejection from Oxford for History & Politics, I am probably going to accept my offer to do Combined Arts at Durham, unless I feel like I really want to re-apply next year.

Is anyone else studying this course and has anything to say about it? Positive things, criticism, general comments on the course and the university...

And who else is also holding an offer for this and probably accepting it?

I'm looking forward to being able to study Theology/Philosophy and Anthropology alongside History and Politics. Visited the university and liked it quite a lot (although it was outside of term-time and seemed a lot quieter than it probably is). Applied to Trevelyan College.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey Josh!
I also got rejected from Oxford for History and Politics (St. John's) after interviewing and am applying for combined social sciences I think at Durham. I haven't recieved an offer yet, but hopefully that's just because of lots of time being wasted on clearing up my fee status (I'm English but live in the USA). I have however heard great things from people I know doing social sciences/history at Durham, so I'm sure you'll like it. Like you I'm looking forward to the chance to do something outside of the usual subjects (I'd love to continue my Spanish). I applied to St. Chad's. Durham, which hopefully I'll receive an offer from soon, is most likely my first choice seeing as I doubt I have a chance in hell of getting into LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by JoshkSTA
Hey Josh!
I also got rejected from Oxford for History and Politics (St. John's) after interviewing and am applying for combined social sciences I think at Durham. I haven't recieved an offer yet, but hopefully that's just because of lots of time being wasted on clearing up my fee status (I'm English but live in the USA). I have however heard great things from people I know doing social sciences/history at Durham, so I'm sure you'll like it. Like you I'm looking forward to the chance to do something outside of the usual subjects (I'd love to continue my Spanish). I applied to St. Chad's. Durham, which hopefully I'll receive an offer from soon, is most likely my first choice seeing as I doubt I have a chance in hell of getting into LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear about your rejection! Not the most pleasant of experiences but I'm sure we can bounce back. I didn't apply to LSE because the thought of having to stay at home with my parents in London while I'm at university is just unbearable, but the course there looks fantastic. Whereabouts do you live in the States? Good luck with the rest of your application- hopefully I will see you next year!
Reply 3
I'm in Washington, DC. And regarding Durham, of all the places I applied it was the one with the nicest atmosphere as well as the prettiest town. Its history program is top notch as well so you really can't do much wrong with Durham. And yes, hopefully there'll be at least two Josh's doing HisPol next year at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I have an offer for social sciences, but I will probably reject it in favor of UCL ESPS. That, or LSE, if they ever get back to me.
Reply 5
Original post by lifeisgood.
I have an offer for social sciences, but I will probably reject it in favor of UCL ESPS. That, or LSE, if they ever get back to me.

that's fair enough as UCL and LSE probably have the better reputations, and also because London is amazing and I would thoroughly recommend it. However, having spent 18 years here, I didn't apply to any London unis as I'm looking for a change of scenery for a bit :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Josh058
Following my rejection from Oxford for History & Politics, I am probably going to accept my offer to do Combined Arts at Durham, unless I feel like I really want to re-apply next year.

Is anyone else studying this course and has anything to say about it? Positive things, criticism, general comments on the course and the university...

And who else is also holding an offer for this and probably accepting it?

I'm looking forward to being able to study Theology/Philosophy and Anthropology alongside History and Politics. Visited the university and liked it quite a lot (although it was outside of term-time and seemed a lot quieter than it probably is). Applied to Trevelyan College.

I'm currently studying Combined and it is a very good course, and flexible...the only downside is you have to plan your pathways for the next years quite early on because a lot of the 2nd and 3rd year modules have prerequisites, and a minimum number required for a dissertation. So although you can do 4 subjects in the first year (I wouldn't recommend it however, especially with Perspectives on Human Nature :s-smilie: - you will be seriously spread too thinly!) I think you haveto cut down to 2 or 3 in final year anyway. The director is really big on theology though so I imagine he will favour your cause.
Reply 7
Original post by XCbaby
I'm currently studying Combined and it is a very good course, and flexible...the only downside is you have to plan your pathways for the next years quite early on because a lot of the 2nd and 3rd year modules have prerequisites, and a minimum number required for a dissertation. So although you can do 4 subjects in the first year (I wouldn't recommend it however, especially with Perspectives on Human Nature :s-smilie: - you will be seriously spread too thinly!) I think you haveto cut down to 2 or 3 in final year anyway. The director is really big on theology though so I imagine he will favour your cause.

Thanks for the advice- do most people only do 2+2+1 or 2+3 combinations in their first year then? How are you enjoying it/Durham in general?
Sorry for the miniature interrogation :biggrin:
I've already made Durham my firm for Social Sciences (with a Foundation Year).
Reply 9
Original post by Josh058
Thanks for the advice- do most people only do 2+2+1 or 2+3 combinations in their first year then? How are you enjoying it/Durham in general?
Sorry for the miniature interrogation :biggrin:

Don't worry :smile: (and sorry for the late reply, haven't been on TSR in a while! Hope its still of some help though.)
Yes, I would say most people do those combinations in their first year, and the department recommends that as the best option. A lot of people take up a language as part of their combination too so if that sparks your interest i'd give it a go! Perspectives ties in a lot to Philosophy so if you're planning on taking that it will probably feel like an addition to that subject.
The course as I've said is really good, although some departments tend to be more picky than others as regards module selection for Combined students... Heard that Politics can be quite annoying, History tend to prioritise their own students with oversubscribed modules and English are very picky and have a lot of compulsory modules if you'd like to do a dissertation with them. Education/History of Art are very chilled though, lovely department.
Durham's good, maybe not quite how I imagined it would be when applying but that's a whole other discussion! Coming from a state school the 'rah culture's prevalence did and still does get to me a bit but for that I have met some lovely people from that background so to speak. The town is small and lacking in nightlife, but absolutely beautiful as I'm sure you know :smile: Good luck!
Reply 10
Sorry...just realised I massively overused the word 'good' there...doesn't advertise Durham very well, promise my vocabulary is generally much more imaginative!
Reply 11
I've got an offer for Combined Honours SOcial Sciences. DO you guys already know which subjects you'll choose? Or does someone know when we'll have to make a decision?
Original post by laura_luna
I've got an offer for Combined Honours SOcial Sciences. DO you guys already know which subjects you'll choose? Or does someone know when we'll have to make a decision?

I've got an offer for combined honours in arts, and apparently we get to decide what to do in Freshers week, and which specific subjects to take :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi :smile:

I currently study Combined Honours in Arts (English Lit and Spanish) and am in second year so feel free to ask me any questions! Further to above discussions though, I feel like I should point out that the Perspectives module won't be running next year which will offer more flexibility and balance, especially for 2+2+2 combinations. The English department are also now planning to be more flexible with module requirements as a the dissertation has become a double module rather than a single so takes up yet another module choice.
Reply 14
Original post by sanksta
Hi :smile:

I currently study Combined Honours in Arts (English Lit and Spanish) and am in second year so feel free to ask me any questions! Further to above discussions though, I feel like I should point out that the Perspectives module won't be running next year which will offer more flexibility and balance, especially for 2+2+2 combinations. The English department are also now planning to be more flexible with module requirements as a the dissertation has become a double module rather than a single so takes up yet another module choice.

Interesting. Are they replacing Perspectives with something else, or just dropping the idea of a compulsory core module altogether? The website still shows it prominently as part of the course. I'd also be interested to hear from anybody who can advise which history, ancient history or archaeology modules tend to get oversubscribed.
Any idea how flexible the French department would be on grades? I'm confident I can meet the requirements for the programme, but I study French as well and I'm not sure if I'm going to get an A, would they still let me take two french modules if I were to get a B, do you think? I know I can study some modules but I REALLLY want to integrate a year abroad
Reply 16
Original post by oldlady
Interesting. Are they replacing Perspectives with something else, or just dropping the idea of a compulsory core module altogether? The website still shows it prominently as part of the course. I'd also be interested to hear from anybody who can advise which history, ancient history or archaeology modules tend to get oversubscribed.

This is fairly hot off the press and I only know from having been in a meeting about it, but it's being got rid of altogether for next year at least. This is because currently the module is taught jointly by the head and deputy head of department but next year the deputy is leaving. This means that they can't plan the module as they don't even know yet which department his replacement will be from so can't count on how the module might end up looking. It's a kind of trial run though and depending on what happens there's always the chance that it will reappear in later years, or that a different module taught by the department will take its place (ie. a cross-department dissertation or an optional module). :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by sanksta
This is fairly hot off the press and I only know from having been in a meeting about it, but it's being got rid of altogether for next year at least. This is because currently the module is taught jointly by the head and deputy head of department but next year the deputy is leaving. This means that they can't plan the module as they don't even know yet which department his replacement will be from so can't count on how the module might end up looking. It's a kind of trial run though and depending on what happens there's always the chance that it will reappear in later years, or that a different module taught by the department will take its place (ie. a cross-department dissertation or an optional module). :smile:

wow, this kind of inside information is what TSR does best! Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by danielcain-reed
Any idea how flexible the French department would be on grades? I'm confident I can meet the requirements for the programme, but I study French as well and I'm not sure if I'm going to get an A, would they still let me take two french modules if I were to get a B, do you think? I know I can study some modules but I REALLLY want to integrate a year abroad

I don't study French but according to the Faculty Handbook (https://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/module_search/?year=2012&search_dept=FREN&search_level=1) the only prerequisite for any French Level 1 module is a B in A level French. Thus, if you meet the programme requirements for Combined Honours I don't see why you couldn't take those modules. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by danielcain-reed

I don't know the exact details, but at the meeting for Combined Arts which I went to recently they said that the modern languages department is fairly laid back with students.

I also really want to integrate a year abroad, but as I'm not doing any modern languages apparently it's 'highly unlikely' I'll be able to :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest