The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Do I have a chance for IR at QMUL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by waterstone555
Well Kings College in its own right is a really good University in my opinion but its International Relations course is a lot newer than QMUL and for it to introduce a AAA standard was a bit peculiar but not unexpected. I am not sure if people can get into that course with less than AAA as it was only introduced for this cycle of application so we would have to wait and see

If only I had AAA there would be at least 3 courses at KCL that I could potentially get an offer for.. my chances of getting into one of these universities would be so much higher! :frown:

So what did you write in your PS? Anything about Eastern Europe? It would be amazing if you got in. What do you think your chances are?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by MrDigBick
If only I had AAA there would be at least 3 courses at KCL that I could potentially get an offer for.. my chances of getting into one of these universities would be so much higher! :frown:

So what did you write in your PS? Anything about Eastern Europe? It would be amazing if you got in. What do you think your chances are?

Hey just thought I would give you an update, I heard back from UCL this morning and they gave me an offer :biggrin: It was for AAB, I was so happy when I heard :smile:
Reply 22
Hey just thought I would give you an update, I heard back from UCL this morning and they gave me an offer :biggrin: It was for AAB, I was so happy when I heard :smile:

Holy sh*t, congrats! I thought you said you had ABB, though?

What were your A-levels and did you mention anything about Eastern Europe in your PS? Any relevant background or anything?

I'm really happy for you man, will hopefully see you there in a year :smile:

Was it a real offer or conditional? (Excuse me if it's a stupid question, I'm an international!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Holy sh*t, congrats! I thought you said you had ABB, though?

What were your A-levels and did you mention anything about Eastern Europe in your PS? Any relevant background or anything?

I'm really happy for you man, will hopefully see you there in a year :smile:

Was it a real offer or conditional? (Excuse me if it's a stupid question, I'm an international!)

Thank you I am really really pleased, Could not be happier.
And no I didn't mention anything related to Eastern Europe but I did tie a bit of background to Sri Lanka and the civil war there, as that is were my family are originally from.
Indeed I am only predicted ABB but thankfully they offered me a AAB offer which is not completely unreachable as a target but we will see.
I am doing Maths, Politics, Computing and Economics as A Levels, and yourself?
Thanks man and hopefully we will cross paths next year :smile:
Reply 24
Thank you I am really really pleased, Could not be happier.
And no I didn't mention anything related to Eastern Europe but I did tie a bit of background to Sri Lanka and the civil war there, as that is were my family are originally from.
Indeed I am only predicted ABB but thankfully they offered me a AAB offer which is not completely unreachable as a target but we will see.
I am doing Maths, Politics, Computing and Economics as A Levels, and yourself?
Thanks man and hopefully we will cross paths next year :smile:

Wow, this is making me a lot more optimistic!

We don't have anything similar to A-levels, but instead go by the average of some 30 grades, and I'm currently re-taking subjects and hope to reach the A-level equivalent of AAB. I have lots of relevant background and will put a lot of emphasis on Eastern Europe and Russia in my personal statement, so hopefully I too can get an offer for AAB!

Do you think it might have counted positively that you've taken relatively demanding subjects such as Maths and Economics? (Not familiar with Computing, so I have have no idea how hard it is). It might have convinced them you're smart and hardworking!

I mean, AAB for someone with very little/zero relevant background and only one relevant A-level (or let's say 1.5 as I guess Economics is semi-relevant) is pretty unusual, don't you think?

Good luck with your exams! If you don't manage to get in will you go to QMUL or have a gap year and re-take exams? Hope to see you there next year!
Reply 25
Anyone else got an offer?
Anyone else got an offer?

Hi there, I'm an international student too. Got an offer of ABB for IR at QMUL (: Did you get an offer too?
Reply 27
I got one a few weeks ago. Can't decide which to firm though - QM or Essex?
Original post by LaureS
I got one a few weeks ago. Can't decide which to firm though - QM or Essex?

Well, we'll be seeing each other if we both decide to firm QM in the end (:
Reply 29
I know this is 3 months later, but I firmed QMUL for IR and will most likely be going in september :bigsmile::clap2:
Reply 30
Original post by Aggie23
I know this is 3 months later, but I firmed QMUL for IR and will most likely be going in september :bigsmile::clap2:

Congratulations. I'm going to the open day on Saturday, and I want to study IR :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by mddub39
Congratulations. I'm going to the open day on Saturday, and I want to study IR :smile:

Going too! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Aggie23

I firmed for Politics and German, but am probably going to ask to do IR too! I'm still not sure about QM because it depends on my grades and if I qualify for adjustment for another uni, but will definitely go if I get the minimum requirements! See you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by kay141
I firmed for Politics and German, but am probably going to ask to do IR too! I'm still not sure about QM because it depends on my grades and if I qualify for adjustment for another uni, but will definitely go if I get the minimum requirements! See you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! QM is excellent in Social Sciences I heard, which helped me confirm my choice to go there! :rolleyes: Are you from Germany?
Reply 34
Original post by Aggie23
That's great! QM is excellent in Social Sciences I heard, which helped me confirm my choice to go there! :rolleyes: Are you from Germany?

Yeah, I think I'll really enjoy the course, no matter what it is!! And no, I'm born and bred in London, ironically, only having done GCSE German, I got an offer! They placed me on the intermediate German course ( as opposed to beginners or advanced) if they let me do IR and German ill be super happy)!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by kay141
Yeah, I think I'll really enjoy the course, no matter what it is!! And no, I'm born and bred in London, ironically, only having done GCSE German, I got an offer! They placed me on the intermediate German course ( as opposed to beginners or advanced) if they let me do IR and German ill be super happy)!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! I might see you in september then! :h:
QMUL doesn't really care about GCSE grades do they? I emailed them and they said they don't have GCSE requirements.
I wouldn't worry too much guys, I'm a Home Student doing Hispanic Studies & Politics (IR) and I got in on ABB (the requirement), they are quite lenient anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest