The Student Room Group

LSE vs UCL for Philosophy

Hi, I've been made an offer for Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method (V503) at LSE and straight Philosophy (V500) at UCL.

I love the idea of studying and living in London and both courses are more or less equally appealing to me. However, I have heard that LSE's philosophy department is inferior to UCL's and that the options for study are less wide ranging but that LSE is more prestigious as a rule.

Could anybody studying at either shed some light on this? Is LSE's philosophy department really inferior to the extent that I should choose UCL and sacrifice the reputation of LSE?

The most important thing to me is the social scene and the prestige/reputation of my degree. My plan is either to convert to law in the UK or go to law school in the USA, possibly doing a UK masters degree at Oxford if I can get a place (I was rejected this year for undergraduate, but would still really like to study there at some point). Which of the two universities would set me up better for this? How does LSE's international reputation compare to UCL's and would either be preferable with a law career in mind?

Any comments would be very helpful
Reply 1
Original post by Whatthe
Hi, I've been made an offer for Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method (V503) at LSE and straight Philosophy (V500) at UCL.

I love the idea of studying and living in London and both courses are more or less equally appealing to me. However, I have heard that LSE's philosophy department is inferior to UCL's and that the options for study are less wide ranging but that LSE is more prestigious as a rule.

Could anybody studying at either shed some light on this? Is LSE's philosophy department really inferior to the extent that I should choose UCL and sacrifice the reputation of LSE?

The most important thing to me is the social scene and the prestige/reputation of my degree. My plan is either to convert to law in the UK or go to law school in the USA, possibly doing a UK masters degree at Oxford if I can get a place (I was rejected this year for undergraduate, but would still really like to study there at some point). Which of the two universities would set me up better for this? How does LSE's international reputation compare to UCL's and would either be preferable with a law career in mind?

If you want to go to law school in the States, you will need to take the LSAT, which is really just a reasoning test. I think that because LSE's course focuses more on logic, it will definitely help you with that. Plus, I think the LSE name brand is recognized in the US as well, so that is always a bonus.

Congrats on the offer, when did you get them?
Original post by Whatthe

All I can say is, you are one lucky person - I'm still waiting to hear back from both :s lucky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Whatthe

Hey, can I ask you how you decided in the end? I'm facing a similar dilemma...
Original post by tomsaja

Don't think OP is gonna reply mate, they haven't been online since 09/09/13
Reply 5
Original post by tomsaja

LSE has a very special philosophy department. If you enjoy logic and philosophy of science it is a great place, but you won't get to study too much of the rest of philosophy (such as metaphysics, phil. of language, phil of mind, epistemology etc). Also LSE degree has good job opportunities outside of academia, e.g. banking/accounting or whatever. If you want to carry on in academia and are literally obsessed with the ideas from all of the areas of philosophy, then perhaps UCL is the better choice.
Reply 6
Hi! I have an offer from LSE (Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method), but I am also deciding between UCL (Philosophy)- it's a very tough decision. Does anyone here do this course, if so, could you share some information? E.g. what exams and essays are like? Overall student satisfaction? Graduate prospects?

(Also, I didn't do maths nor any of the sciences at A-Level, would I be at a disadvantage?)

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest