The Student Room Group

Thinking of changing my uni - Will student finance be okay with this?

Hello everyone,

I'm just about to start the second term on my uni course, but early in the course I realised that I wasn't learning much. My course is terrible, lecturers are lazy, and i've learned more on my own at my flat than the actual uni. Out of my 4 modules, i've only learned from 1.

I've thought about this and want to change my uni. I've interviewed 2nd year students about whether this is the general way things work on the course (was hopeful it would improve later on) and they all said yes.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation when he was studying music and then reapplied to SAE institute.
My question is, i'm on a loan from student finance, and I'm thinking of finishing the year and then transferring to another university to do a course in the same department, starting from year 1.

I'm not too sure of the procedures to take with student finance. My friend said that since he left after finishing the second year of his 3 year course to go to his current uni, student finance said that he would have to wait a year before getting their support again (Something about a gap in payments for a year, since his course was 3 years long, 3 years would have to pass, despite the fact that no one would receive any money on the third year)
My friend has been paying privately for his first year because of this.

I'm confused because this seems contrary to what I had heard about student finance being alright with university changes.
I was wondering about your opinions on this, has anyone run into similar issues?

I'm worried since I don't want to be in the same situation (Having completed only year 1 of 3 at my current uni)
Reply 1
If you've only had one year of finance you'll be fine
They'll officially have no problems with it, but don't be shocked if it takes several months for them to work out what to do.

Your friend was in that situation because he'd already had 2 years of funding. As you've only had 1, you'll be covered for the whole of the next degree.
I'm in the exact same position and Student Finance have completely OK'd what I want to do. I'm finishing up the year and then starting Year 1 again in September. They said they'd cover four years of University so as long as your second degree doesn't exceed three years, they'll cover you. I rang about a month ago to ask so I recommend getting in there early so they can actually function efficiently for you. Student Finance suck.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks a lot guys! :biggrin:
Original post by katetaylor
I'm in the exact same position and Student Finance have completely OK'd what I want to do. I'm finishing up the year and then starting Year 1 again in September. They said they'd cover four years of University so as long as your second degree doesn't exceed three years, they'll cover you. I rang about a month ago to ask so I recommend getting in there early so they can actually function efficiently for you. Student Finance suck.

Good luck!

So does that mean even if someone's completed a three year degree, they can do another three year degree and student finance will pay for two of those three years? Or one at least? Thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by pinkmonkey3
So does that mean even if someone's completed a three year degree, they can do another three year degree and student finance will pay for two of those three years? Or one at least? Thanks :smile:

no, once you've completed a degree and got the qualification you are not eligible for funding under ELQ rules and may even have to pay more. The only exception to this is if the second degree you want to do is a health one paid for by the NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending