The Student Room Group

Trans boyfriend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fallen_acorns
- most of all, be prepared for bad times.. life as a trans person, can be hard.. even in later stages of transitioning, im yet to meet a fellow trans woman, or man, who doesnt have bad days, days where things dont seem to great, when eveything gets to much, or just when he/she encounters other/transhpobic people.. - so just try and be supportive and understanding, and there to comfort if things get a bit much.. :smile:

Luckily he's sensible and talks about his feelings. I've had mental health problems myself so have some understanding of just feeling god-awful sometimes, think we'd be strong enough.
Original post by Anonymous
Luckily he's sensible and talks about his feelings. I've had mental health problems myself so have some understanding of just feeling god-awful sometimes, think we'd be strong enough.

sounds like you two will be a very supportive/loving couple :smile:

I wish you all the best! :smile: - hope it ends up being a beautiful relationship :smile:

X
Reply 22
Original post by Treeroy
She likes you and you herim

Thanks for being so positive, but gotta correct this bit hunny - he is sooo not a 'she'. :tongue:
Reply 23
Thanks for being so positive, but gotta correct this bit hunny - he is sooo not a 'she'. :tongue:

She sooo is. :tongue:

I will stop referring to girl->guy transsexuals as female when they become a male.

Your girlfriend-to-be still has XX chromosomes, regardless of what her body might look like.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Treeroy

I will stop referring to girl->guy transsexuals as female when they become a male.

Your girlfriend-to-be is still female, regardless of what her body looks like.

Don't wanna debate this here, gender is in your head, and it's considered massively rude and upsetting to not respect a trans person's pronouns/identity. If you want a flame war, please take it elsewhere, because that is what this will become.
Original post by Treeroy

Your girlfriend-to-be is still female, regardless of what her body looks like.

Its a much more complex issue then that.. you dont just become male, you go through years of change, - depending on how you stricly define 'male' some transmen may never acheive it, others will.. etc..

in the end though, it costs you nothing to refer to people in a polite way, that they find acceptable.

It takes no extra time.. and instead of upsetting someone/offending them/hurting them.. - you may just make their day..

is that really to much for you to do? - to be polite, and respect what people feel comfortable being called...

Instead you have just decided to be hurtfull.. because of some ill-thought out idea of what is correct or not...

by any account his gender is male.. - and (as studies have shown) - we use his/him/her, (with people we dont know) - to predominatly mean a reference of gender..

(for exsample if you saw a person on the street, with no decernable genitalia/breasts on show.. you would adress them based on their gender expression, - if they acted/looked male female..

Unless you are one of the wierd people who ask to see peoples genitles before deciding what to call them?

but i digress...

Long story short.

be polite. it is no hassle to you - and avoids upsetting others.

what sort of a person wouldnt?
Original post by Treeroy

Your girlfriend-to-be still has XX chromosomes, regardless of what her body might look like.

youve re-edited.. so il quote again.

XX chromasomes, dont dictate your gender. - simple.

Infact they dont even dictate your biological sex.

scientifically your sex is determind by the gametes you produce..

so on all acounts, your wrong..

but this isnt the place.. so if you want to start a debate about sex/gender - and what to call trans people.. start another thread..

if not, leave your old-fashioned, and il-reaserched opinions, and stay out this thread :smile:
Don't worry! Trans, Bi, Straight whatever society is getting more and more accepting. Of you really like him then go for it!! I mean, talk to him first, become good friends you know just like it would normally work, the only difference is... NOTHING! :smile:
Reply 28
Don't wanna debate this here, gender is in your head, and it's considered massively rude and upsetting to not respect a trans person's pronouns/identity. If you want a flame war, please take it elsewhere, because that is what this will become.

be polite. it is no hassle to you - and avoids upsetting others.

I do not care how rude people think I am, and hopefully never will.

Gender isn't decided in your head. I can convince myself that I'm, say, god incarnate, but it doesn't make it so.

However, I don't wish to argue either because it's off topic and I don't want to derail the thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy
I do not care how rude people think I am, and hopefully never will.

Gender isn't decided in your head. I can convince myself that I'm, say, god incarnate, but it doesn't make it so.

However, I don't wish to argue either because it's off topic and I don't want to derail the thread.

'gender isnt decided in your head'

your aware that that is the complete oposite to what modern medicine, psychology, and biological research tells us?

very bold claim of you, to presume you know better then trained doctors, and psychiatrists?

So i presume you have done more research then the academics, devoting their life to the study of gender? - who definine it preciesly as - being inside your head?

hmm..

Or..

how about, - this is an opinion you have formed, without reaserching it, or studying it in depth?
Original post by Cool Cat
This gives me hope that my 'unusual guybits' will not stop me finding someone awesome some day

keep being awesome :yy:

I cannot leave this comment as it is without thanking you. I was not having a good day, and as I was bored and moping in my house, scrolling through this thread, my eyes alighted on something wonderful..

That cat running into the cling film-ed cat flap. Jesus Christ I'm still laughing.
Reply 31
you are a wonderful person :smile: she is very lucky x

queer doesnt mean lesbian.. - it could imply bisexual, pansexual, demisexual, or even no defined sexuality, just 'queer' - or something entierly different..

+ to the op.. just an open dialog.. thats all you can aim for, - be honest, and understanding.. and listen to them :smile: - but im sure you will do all that and more :smile:

- most of all, be prepared for bad times.. life as a trans person, can be hard.. even in later stages of transitioning, im yet to meet a fellow trans woman, or man, who doesnt have bad days, days where things dont seem to great, when eveything gets to much, or just when he/she encounters other/transhpobic people.. - so just try and be supportive and understanding, and there to comfort if things get a bit much.. :smile:

It's difficult, we don't speak to each other sometimes, I'm under a hell of a lot of pressure. The bad times are really bad times. You can PM me if you want to talk though :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 32
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I cannot leave this comment as it is without thanking you. I was not having a good day, and as I was bored and moping in my house, scrolling through this thread, my eyes alighted on something wonderful..

That cat running into the cling film-ed cat flap. Jesus Christ I'm still laughing.

you are very welcome :hat2:
Original post by 2ndClass
I'm a lesbian so I'll date a trans man. Erm......

I know it don't make sense, the important factor is if she's a lesbian, wouldn't she be attracted to females? I know I sound ignorant here but I'm just confused, if someone is transitioning from female to male wouldn't his lesbian partner, find him unattractive, post op, as a lesbian is well, attracted to females, rather than males?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2ndClass
I'm a lesbian so I'll date a trans man. Erm......

Original post by jreid1994
I know it don't make sense, the important factor is if she's a lesbian, wouldn't she be attracted to females? I know I sound ignorant here but I'm just confused, if someone is transitioning from female to male wouldn't his lesbian partner, find him unattractive, post op, as a lesbian is well, attracted to females, rather than males?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queer does not necessarily mean lesbian. I'm not sure if OP fully clarified her sexual orientation.
She also said that the things that will change aren't the things she's attracted to, and she loves his new voice.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Queer does not necessarily mean lesbian. I'm not sure if OP fully clarified her sexual orientation.
She also said that the things that will change aren't the things she's attracted to, and she loves his new voice.

Oh I was just a bit confused, I know queer don't mean just lesbian, but I'd have though 99% of the time it did, I have nothing against lesbians or gays or transgenders but I'd be a little confused, as in this case, I don't really understand, it's confusing me even more now. How is she queer if the person is a F2M? :confused: I sound nieve, but I am curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Oh I was just a bit confused, I know queer don't mean just lesbian, but I'd have though 99% of the time it did, I have nothing against lesbians or gays or transgenders but I'd be a little confused, as in this case, I don't really understand, it's confusing me even more now. How is she queer if the person is a F2M? :confused: I sound nieve, but I am curious.

Queer for me personally means 'not straight' - I've liked girls, guys and genderqueer people in the past (genderqueer in this case = not identifying as male/female).
I find people who choose to define as queer are more likely to be flexible with who they date/find attractive than just going for the same sex. Sorry for any confusion I've caused, I forget that 'queer' isn't commonly used outside of the LGBTQ community.
Anyway, yea - we would be in a straight relationship, but I won't stop being queer, just as my sexuality wouldn't change if I went out with a cis (non trans) guy.
Queer for me personally means 'not straight' - I've liked girls, guys and genderqueer people in the past (genderqueer in this case = not identifying as male/female).
I find people who choose to define as queer are more likely to be flexible with who they date/find attractive than just going for the same sex. Sorry for any confusion I've caused, I forget that 'queer' isn't commonly used outside of the LGBTQ community.
Anyway, yea - we would be in a straight relationship, but I won't stop being queer, just as my sexuality wouldn't change if I went out with a cis (non trans) guy.

Oh, so your saying, you would go out with someone you like, regardless of gender(or gender change) I think I understand now, good for you:smile:, I think I get it now I think that it's kind of like being bisexual, but not exactly, if that sounds right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, so your saying, you would go out with someone you like, regardless of gender(or gender change) I think I understand now, good for you:smile:, I think I get it now I think that it's kind of like being bisexual, but not exactly, if that sounds right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pansexual is the technical term for what you're describing. Whether that is what OP identifies as it up to her (although people tend to have about as much trouble with understanding pansexuality as with understanding queer in this situation. At least people have heard of queer).
Original post by minimarshmallow
Pansexual is the technical term for what you're describing. Whether that is what OP identifies as it up to her (although people tend to have about as much trouble with understanding pansexuality as with understanding queer in this situation. At least people have heard of queer).

Okay it is confusing for me:confused: but I get it now, well kinda I'm going to go take some aspirin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending