The Student Room Group

Things that you put you off a woman?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IlexBlue
"Cool." Heh.

Yes, see, that's why I said "rarely do these qualities mingle well", not "no one society deems intelligent or ambitious ever does drugs or alcohol ever."

I still think there are a lot more of them than you'd imagine, and you wouldn't necessarily guess who. We can spot each other though - I very quickly worked out the dozen or so people at my rather conservative Law Firm that are up for a warehouse party or weekend acid retreat to the countryside, even though it would be an absolute scandal if any of the other people here knew.
Original post by ingénue
Well I was like that with a guy not too long ago, but just because I liked him a lot - doesn't mean I'm not a feminist. I don't mind being told what to do sometimes, but it depends on the context.

The dynamics of a relationship can often be more complex than just 'submissive/dominant' as you're suggesting.

Sorry but subsuming your will to that of some guy you are into and "doing what you are told" rather does mean you are not a feminist.
Reply 62
Original post by ingénue
Well I was like that with a guy not too long ago, but just because I liked him a lot - doesn't mean I'm not a feminist. I don't mind being told what to do sometimes, but it depends on the context.

The dynamics of a relationship can often be more complex than just 'submissive/dominant' as you're suggesting.

What dynamic do you believe in.

Original post by HistoryRepeating
Sorry but subsuming your will to that of some guy you are into and "doing what you are told" rather does mean you are not a feminist.

and this is exactly what I mean with the too much feminist thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by S.R
You're one sad dude. What is the point in going out with someone just because they like you and for no other reason?

I dislike:

Girls who dress in manly clothes so baggy trousers, trainers, etc

Tattoos and piercings. I just find it to be "eww". Reminds me of druggie slags from Camden.

Dumb girls. How can I like you if I can't hold a conversation with you?

Whiny and needy girls. Just plain irritiating. Go jump off a bridge.

Really short girls. I'm unusual in that I prefer a taller girl. It's not a big deal however if I like her other attributes then extreme shortness is fine.

Fat girls. now when I say fat I mean double chin fat. Curvier girls are great but if you're so fat that your face is deformed then I am not going out with you. It's not just a looks thing, being fat shows you have a lazy outlook on life whereas I'm a very sporty and fit person so we wouldn't match.

Girls who don't make an effort. Even if you don't look so great if you at least try I will appreciate that for there is a lot girls can do to improve their looks. Again it shows that they are lazy and cba which is undesirable.

Overly fake girls. Fine for a bit of fun but I'm not bringing you home to the parents.

Girls who smoke. Don't want my future wife to die on me in 20-40 years plus it makes your hair stink.

Don't understand why you've got negged, everyone's allowed their own preferences plus all your points are fair enough :tongue:
Original post by the666thmessiah
Gossip
Insecurity
How they flirt around so much

I couldn't go out with a girl who was not:
-ambitious
-highly intelligent
-funny
-cute
-lacking in insecurities
-outgoing
-fun-loving
-willing to experiment with drugs and alcohol
-into festivals and travelling

I know you guys aren't the only ones that have said this, but this is the only real thing guys desire that I don't get.

You can be confident, outgoing, explorative and have amazing personal qualities, but still be honest enough to accept the fact you are imperfect and inadequate. In fact, I'd respect someone for having the self-honesty to say there will always be aspects of myself I will struggle with. Because it's true.
I don't think anyone can look in the mirror at any point in their life and say 'I am entirely free from insecurities', even on their death-bed. In fact I think I would be repusled by a girl/ guy who had the brashness to make such a claim.

The point at which you lose all your self-effacement and insecurity is often the point at which you become obnoxious and un-endearing. A girl with insecurities has a story to tell, and undoubtedly you too will also have insecurities and a similar story. From the point you accept eachother as weak and try to understand eachother, there is an emotional journey you go on that enriches both your lives.

I can never understand why people are so afraid to show some vulnerability as well as their more charming and self-confident aspects.

Some vulnerability can be endearing, healthy and above all, human.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 2ndClass
What dynamic do you believe in.

and this is exactly what I mean with the too much feminist thing.

We've already established that you aren't looking for an equal relationship, so its no surprise you don't want to date a feminist.
Reply 66
We've already established that you aren't looking for an equal relationship, so its no surprise you don't want to date a feminist.

No it's just kind of depressing when a guy becomes more feminist than a girl and proceeds to flame her for not adhering to their fundamentalism :s-smilie:
Reply 67
Girls that smoke, wear lots of make-up and seem to have fake personalities. Also if she's a feminist.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SummitOfReason
I know you guys aren't the only ones that have said this, but this is the only real thing guys desire that I don't get.

You can be confident, outgoing, explorative and have amazing personal qualities, but still be honest enough to accept the fact you are imperfect and inadequate. In fact, I'd respect someone for having the self-honesty to say there will always be aspects of myself I will struggle with. Because it's true.
I don't think anyone can look in the mirror at any point in their life and say 'I am entirely free from insecurities', even on their death-bed. In fact I think I would be repusled by a girl/ guy who had the brashness to make such a claim.

The point at which you lose all your self-effacement and insecurity is often the point at which you become obnoxious and un-endearing. A girl with insecurities has a story to tell, and undoubtedly you too will also have insecurities and a similar story. From the point you accept eachother as weak and try to understand eachother, there is an emotional journey you go on that enriches both your lives.

I can never understand why people are so afraid to show some vulnerability as well as their more charming and self-confident aspects.

Some vulnerability can be endearing, healthy and above all, human.

I was perhaps simplifying. I meant "no overwhelming insecurities" - i.e. insecurities that directly effected her behaviour on a day to day basis.

For example in the past I've been with gfs who:
- wouldnt wear skirts because they were insecure about their (lovely) legs, despite much encouragement and compliments.
- would get upset if I talked to a female friend because they had trust issues.
- would constantly put themselves down ("i'm so fat") etc when it wasn't true and they were just fishing for validation.

etc etc

My current, wonderful gf of three years has her minor insecurities, like everyone does, but doesn't let them hold her (or me!) back. It helps that I know well what they are and can constantly reinforce her through validation in the right areas without her demanding it.
Original post by ingénue
Umm I don't like being told what to do generally. Please don't make me spell this out for you. And I am most definitely a feminist. If a woman wants to be submissive, then that's fine, as long as she had the choice. And often, even in today's society, women still don't get that choice.

Submissive Roleplay in the bedroom is a different story, and has nothing to do with being submissive in life decisions, which is the antithesis of being a feminist.
Original post by 2ndClass
No it's just kind of depressing when a guy becomes more feminist than a girl and proceeds to flame her for not adhering to their fundamentalism :s-smilie:

I didn't flame her, I just said she wasn't a feminist. Is that a flame?
Reply 71
Original post by moni457
I noticed some of you said tattoos... So if they had a little one on their ankle that'd still be a no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't mind tattoos as long as it is not all over their arm.
Reply 72
I didn't flame her, I just said she wasn't a feminist. Is that a flame?

Well, we'll leave her to decide.

But this once again just highlights why I could never date a self professed feminist. To each their own.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Face piercings (nose etc) other than ears.... Just puts me off :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Dislike/allergy of cats.

Crazy cat lady right here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Girls with no ambition, those that are too superficial, excessive makeup, idiocy
Reply 76
Original post by Insecurities
i wouldn't say anything puts me off a girl as such.

i am going to sound quite desperate here (but who can blame me when i am 22 and yet to have a girlfriend), the best thing about a girl is if she likes me back. being semi-attractive helps but i think most girls are semi-attractive these days (or at least makeup makes them appear at least semi-attractive) that looks don't really come into it. if you see what i'm saying?

yes i dont like loud, fat chavs but i dont hang around that type anyway. i judge it on what i see at uni and i like what i see in the vast majority of cases. so it comes down to whether she likes me.

Your username is very appropriate.
Original post by Yellowglitter19
Crazy cat lady right here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Misunderstood* :colondollar:
- Obsessed with celebrities
- Airheads
- Fake tans and poor use of make up
- Always wanting to show skin
- Bitchy, drama and attention seeking types
- Insecure
- Baggage
- Smoking
- Overly outgoing
- Abstains from a healthy lifestyle
- Self pro claimed feminists (i.e. no one needs to know I dont a **** so stop constantly moaning about this injustice or that injustice)
- Prudish girls
- Ones that aren't willing to experiment and try new things
- Crazy ones
Original post by rlscope
Okay now I feel stupid :colondollar: thought it was referring to something else haha.

Note to self: look up fancy-sounding words before assuming they mean what you think they do. :biggrin:

You aren't the only one, but I googled it first :laugh:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending