The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Maths, Computing, JMC and general questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Datta10
High five, what are you doing now for a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. How about you?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. How about you?

I do the same subjects aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Datta10
I want to apply to imperial for 2016, would it be good to learn slme programming and do some projects over the summer to put on my personal statement, and to show mu interest :biggrin:? Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also applying in 2016 and wondering the same as you. And I'm also a female

Hey :biggrin:

Yes, while programming experience is not expected from uni (they teach everything from scratch), having some experience (and more importantly the mindsets) is helpful in securing an interview, starting a topic with interviewers and getting started in your degree.

I would personally suggest starting with one of Python, Java and C/C++, there are tons of tutorial so just pick one that you find it useful. After you get the hang of it, you can have a go on solving a sorts of fun problems, or write some games, or develop some applications - just suggesting some of all possible things you could do!

Remember to highlight what you have done in your PS - how they (and other factors) influence you to apply for a CS degree and so on. Don't forget to brush up your Maths during the summer, as they put quite an emphasis on Maths when it comes to A-Level results (now usually A*s for both subs).

Hope it helps.
Original post by liu.chbn
Hey :biggrin:

Yes, while programming experience is not expected from uni (they teach everything from scratch), having some experience (and more importantly the mindsets) is helpful in securing an interview, starting a topic with interviewers and getting started in your degree.

I would personally suggest starting with one of Python, Java and C/C++, there are tons of tutorial so just pick one that you find it useful. After you get the hang of it, you can have a go on solving a sorts of fun problems, or write some games, or develop some applications - just suggesting some of all possible things you could do!

Remember to highlight what you have done in your PS - how they (and other factors) influence you to apply for a CS degree and so on. Don't forget to brush up your Maths during the summer, as they put quite an emphasis on Maths when it comes to A-Level results (now usually A*s for both subs).

Hope it helps.

Yes it does :biggrin:, I also wanted to ask, how is the male to female ratio in comp sci?
Original post by Datta10
Yes it does :biggrin:, I also wanted to ask, how is the male to female ratio in comp sci?

It fluctuates a bit from year to year, though according to statistics (internal - accessible by those who have a login), the male:female ratio stands at around 5-6:1 for the past four or five years for Dept. of Computing (i.e. Computing + JMC).
Hey, i'm really torn between Maths or Computing at imperial. I've always had this mindset that joint degrees are just not as good as a standard degree in one subject. Am I completely wrong in this? is JMC the course for me or should I just choose between Maths or Computing
Reply 206
Original post by Rabadon
Hey, i'm really torn between Maths or Computing at imperial. I've always had this mindset that joint degrees are just not as good as a standard degree in one subject. Am I completely wrong in this? is JMC the course for me or should I just choose between Maths or Computing

My interviewer told me that JMC is the best course (in the subject area) that Imperial has to offer. You really don't miss out on either subject unless you are extremely interested in stuff like ethics of computing etc. :wink:

That said, apparently the course is insanely hard because of the workoad. I don't know personally because I only applied to it this year, with weak chances of meeting the offer. But to answer your question, yes joint degrees are good.

Oh and if you're interested in uni maths, I would recommend starting to just look into STEP I. It's likely that an offer for CompSci/JMC/maths will involve a STEP exam plus they are pretty interesting.
Original post by Karoel
My interviewer told me that JMC is the best course (in the subject area) that Imperial has to offer. You really don't miss out on either subject unless you are extremely interested in stuff like ethics of computing etc. :wink:

That said, apparently the course is insanely hard because of the workoad. I don't know personally because I only applied to it this year, with weak chances of meeting the offer. But to answer your question, yes joint degrees are good.

Oh and if you're interested in uni maths, I would recommend starting to just look into STEP I. It's likely that an offer for CompSci/JMC/maths will involve a STEP exam plus they are pretty interesting.

Really? Sounds great. I wouldn't have thought that you'd still get a lot from either side of the joint degree. Definitely going to look into this further. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Karoel

Original post by Rabadon
Really? Sounds great. I wouldn't have thought that you'd still get a lot from either side of the joint degree. Definitely going to look into this further. Thank you :smile:

Apologies for not following up with posts, I am so busy with my placement :P

Let's start with some "technical" analysis:
A Maths degree + a Computing degree does not equate to 200% of either degree, there are programming elements in Maths degree and there are Maths element in the Computing degree. I would say they add up to around 170-180% of a normal degree.

To prevent people draining from such unrealistic expectation, they will, inevitably, have to tone down the workload to a more realistic level. So for the fundamental part (things in years 1 and 2), courses in Hardware and Mechanics are not offered to JMC, and you won't not have that many slots to put all the compulsory courses for either side in. As such the equivalent workload would be around 120-140%. And yes, JMC takes the short project course on Ethics in Computing :wink:

If you didn't manage to take a course for credit, you can either catch up with them in year 3 or further overload yourself by sitting in lectures. I know people do either way or a mixture of both. Afterwards (in years 3 and 4), you are allowed to choose whatever you like, just like the Maths/Computing people, the perk is you will have the union of courses offered by both departments.

Now the question would be: is JMC the right degree for you? It is quite crazy in workload (think of a double major degree, then think of finishing it with a year less), and most (though not many now, there used to be quite a few a few years back) people who transferred said they feel university maths is not of their taste.

Karoel has mentioned the STEP papers, and I would add on that by recommending the following books:

A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics - M. Liebeck
Mathematical Methods for Science Students - G. Stephenson
Linear Algebra - J.B. Fraleigh

They should be available somewhere on the internet (though I would emphsise the importance of respecting copyright). Don't worry too much if they looks horrible at first sight - they are used as the reading material for the first year Maths courses. I would recommend having a look at the first few chapters and see if you are happy with it.

Hope the (late) comment helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 209
Hi

My offer for Maths BSc at Imperial is A*A*A*A in Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, Economics respectively.

What would be my chances of getting a place with A*A*AA in those subjects.
I also have an A* in EPQ (about a specific topic in maths)

Thank you
Reply 210
We should create a Facebook group for mathematics students who will study at imperial next year
Reply 211
Any successful maths applicants here? What sort of UMS average did you have from AS and in what modules?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 212
Original post by Ray7
Hi

My offer for Maths BSc at Imperial is A*A*A*A in Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, Economics respectively.

Thank you

I too would like to know the answer to this, given that you've probably done the MAT
(edited 8 years ago)
Apologies in coming back late - no networks around home :frown:
Will answer all of them in one go.

Original post by Ray7
Hi

Thank you

Can't really say, it depends how other offer holders do as well - the Department has the obligation to take all those who have met the offer, and then only if there are places left they would consider those who've missed it. If they are already over-subscribed, they might not be able to take you on board.

Though I would recommend you to get the admissions tutor's contact details ready, and should this occur, be ready to call/write and persuade them. Good luck!

Original post by samu16
We should create a Facebook group for mathematics students who will study at imperial next year

There will be! I am sure the MathSoc (the student society of Dept. of Maths) are on that :biggrin:

Original post by GM16
Any successful maths applicants here? What sort of UMS average did you have from AS and in what modules?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will leave the details for others to fill in. Though I believe Imperial Maths does not put particular emphasis on UMS in AS - as long as you get A's in Maths/FM and got predicted A*'s then you should be on track!
Reply 214
Will leave the details for others to fill in. Though I believe Imperial Maths does not put particular emphasis on UMS in AS - as long as you get A's in Maths/FM and got predicted A*'s then you should be on track!

Thanks for your response!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GM16

Thanks for your response!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another note before I forgot, Dept of Maths uses the MAT as a pre-screening for applicants, and sometimes STEP as part of the offer. A-level remains as an important but not sole component. Since the style of MAT and STEP is quite different from A-levels, I will recommend having a look.
(edited 8 years ago)
Congratulations to all who have met the offer and joining us in October!

Please feel free to join the Fresher groups, chat with your future coursemates and ask questions!

Mathematics: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ImperialMathematics2015/
Computing: https://www.facebook.com/groups/imperialcomputing2015/
JMC: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ImperialJMC2015/
Are my chances of getting into Imperial for Computing slim with A*abc at AS? I'm doing Maths(A*a), Further Maths and Physics(b) next year and I'm dropping Chemistry(c). I'm resitting a Physics exam nest year too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are my chances of getting into Imperial for Computing slim with A*abc at AS? I'm doing Maths(A*a), Further Maths and Physics(b) next year and I'm dropping Chemistry(c). I'm resitting a Physics exam nest year too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't really guarantee anything here, but the A* in Maths seems decent to me.
From what I know the average offer for Computing stands at A*A* in Maths, FM and As in any A2 subjects you are taking, sometimes involving a 1/2 in STEP II. So do make sure your teacher are convinced with your performance and giving out the right predictions.
Original post by liu.chbn
Can't really guarantee anything here, but the A* in Maths seems decent to me.
From what I know the average offer for Computing stands at A*A* in Maths, FM and As in any A2 subjects you are taking, sometimes involving a 1/2 in STEP II. So do make sure your teacher are convinced with your performance and giving out the right predictions.

Thank you. So I have to get another A* in Maths and turn the b into an A. I've got to start working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending