The Student Room Group

Wjec ch4 2013

How did everyone find it?

I thought it was awful, section A went well and then just lost it on section B... what was with all extended answers?!

Think ill be resitting :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I thought it went very well but the rest of my class thought it went badly. I think I only lost marks where it was me being stupid rather than me not knowing the answer. There was a lot of extended writing which I normally don't like but I felt the ones today were fine. :smile:
Reply 2
What did everyone get for the very last answer, mass of aspirin?
Tell me what you got and it will remind me. I can't remember the exact number I had. :smile:
Reply 4
Aargh I found it horrible! Worse than most past papers I've done :frown: What did people do for the question about a test to determine between the two different molecules, think it was methylchlorobenzene and 1,4-chlorobenzene?
Reply 5
Something around 70? I did it in such a rush not sure if I messed up! :frown: and for that one, I did silver nitrate test, the one would produce white ppt the other wouldn't x
Reply 6
Ahh okay, I did silver nitrate too! Think I got about 73 for the last question by the way :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shawneexo
Aargh I found it horrible! Worse than most past papers I've done :frown: What did people do for the question about a test to determine between the two different molecules, think it was methylchlorobenzene and 1,4-chlorobenzene?

I'm not sure but I did the halogen test from ch2 . NaOH, HNO3 and silver nitrate. White precipitate for (methylchloro)benzene and the other wouldn't react with it as the aromatic c-Cl is too strong to form Cl ions. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Lizard cream
I'm not sure but I did the halogen test from ch2 . NaOH, HNO3 and silver nitrate. White precipitate for (methylchloro)benzene and the other wouldn't react with it as the aromatic c-Cl is too strong to form Cl ions. :smile:

Ahh damn, I forgot the NaOH, couldn't think what it was! :frown: should get some marks for the rest of it though, thanks! :smile:
Reply 9

I said add NaOH to both. Chloromethylbenzene would form NaCl salt, which would appear as a white precipitate, the other wouldn't react because it would be a OH- nucleophile attacking the benzene ring which would repel them... Something along those lines. Probably bull****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emkate
Something around 70? I did it in such a rush not sure if I messed up! :frown: and for that one, I did silver nitrate test, the one would produce white ppt the other wouldn't x

Yea 60-70g area, I can't remember exact though. I had 73 for the Mr of B. :smile:
Reply 11
I had the same! :smile: was so worried about this exam!
Reply 12
Original post by Picksel8
I said add NaOH to both. Chloromethylbenzene would form NaCl salt, which would appear as a white precipitate, the other wouldn't react because it would be a OH- nucleophile attacking the benzene ring which would repel them... Something along those lines. Probably bull****

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno, sounds pretty sensible ahah! I've come to realise that I am useless at chemistry -.-

What did people get for A, B, C and D in the flow diagram?
Reply 13
for the cl on the benzene i said add warm NaOHto produce an alcohol on the chloro methyl but no reaction on the di chloro benzene as the cl was part of the delocalised system.
I dunno, sounds pretty sensible ahah! I've come to realise that I am useless at chemistry -.-

What did people get for A, B, C and D in the flow diagram?

From left to right I can't remember which letter was which.
I think for A I had a nitrile, B an amine, C carboxylic acid and D an alcohol. Again c and d might be the other way round I can't rememberer if c was the bottom left or if it was D.
Reply 15
Original post by Lizard cream
From left to right I can't remember which letter was which.
I think for A I had a nitrile, B an amine, C carboxylic acid and D an alcohol. Again c and d might be the other way round I can't rememberer if c was the bottom left or if it was D.

Ah yay, I got that too :biggrin: Think C was bottom left..
Reply 16
Original post by Lloydm17
for the cl on the benzene i said add warm NaOHto produce an alcohol on the chloro methyl but no reaction on the di chloro benzene as the cl was part of the delocalised system.

Sounds like what I put.

As for molecules A,B,C, and D:

A: ch3ch2ch2CN
B: ch3ch2ch2ch2nh2
C: ch3ch2ch2ch2OH
D: ch3ch2ch2COOH

But I got ethanol and ethanoic acid instead of butanol and butanoic acid:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
What did every one go for the order of acidity question?:confused:
Reply 18
Original post by Picksel8

As for molecules A,B,C, and D:

A: ch3ch2ch2CN
B: ch3ch2ch2ch2nh2
C: ch3ch2ch2ch2OH
D: ch3ch2ch2COOH

But I got ethanol and ethanoic acid instead of butanol and butanoic acid:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww that's a bummer :frown: you might still get marks for the functional group though?

Think I put the amine, then ethanol, phenol and carboxylic acid
Reply 19

Ethyl amine, ethanol, phenol, carboxylic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest