The Student Room Group

English Combined or Psychology?

I can't decide whether to take an A-Level in English Lang/Lit or Psychology next year.

I want to do English because I quite like the subject but I don't really know what it involves? I did have a leaflet about it from the open evening but I lost it and didn't really read it properly because at the time I wasn't that bothered about it. I think I'm about a B grade at GCSE?

But then I want to do Psychology because it looks pretty interesting and thought it would be cool picking something new up, but some people say it's boring, but then others say it's the best subject they took? I don't think it's as respected either, I don't know.

Any opinions welcome :biggrin: Also it would be great if anyone's doing both and can say which one they prefer?
Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 2
What would you like to do after you've completed your A-Levels? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Genuinely have no idea! I'm not even sure if i want to go uni... Yeah, i have no idea D:
Reply 4
Original post by GekoFan
Genuinely have no idea! I'm not even sure if i want to go uni... Yeah, i have no idea D:

Ah, I see. Which other subjects are you planning on doing?
Reply 5
Maths, Geography and either ICT or Dance :P
Reply 6
I assume you're doing Maths, Geography and ICT/Dance at GCSE, so if you want to remain within a comfort zone, then go for English - you know what it generally entails, etc and a B at GCSE seems a decent foundation for A-Level, or at least AS level. It's also very valued by employers and universities.

However, as you said, doing Psychology will enable you to experience a new subject. With relevance to respectability, Psychology is not that respected, but is more respected than say, Business Studies. Geography and Maths are very respected, however. The reason why a lot of people find Psychology "boring" is because they have misconceptions about the subject. I've heard a lot of people at my school picking Psychology because, and I quote, "you get to learn about mad people." - yes, this is an aspect of Psychology. But Psychology involves a hell of a lot more than that. It's incredibly interesting, though. So ensure you know what it entails if you do pick it!

I don't do either subject yet but I am picking English Lit and Psychology as two of my options, so don't take my opinion solely. Do what you feel more attracted to and what subject you'll feel you'll get a better grade in. Even if you are at a B, this shouldn't hinder you in any way, as long as you put the effort, time and commitment in. Same applies to Psychology.

Good luck :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, actually found it quite interesting! I'll probably think about it more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest