The Student Room Group

Bmat and ukcat

How does everyone prepare for bmat and ukcat exams ? People have told me you can't prepare or something but that's rubbish, so what can you do to prepare?
For UKCAT, go on the KAPLAN course if you can. Not so much for the course itself, but because the mock exams they give you after the course are pretty reflective of the actual UKCAT. Also, the 600 Questions book is helpful. TSR has its own UKCAT page, so have a look there. Prepare for the 2 weeks before (anything longer and you run out of materials).

For the BMAT, get the 400 Questions book. Revise GCSE and AS sciences (browse over A2 sciences too). How To Master The BMAT is also a good book, but not as good as 400 Questions. For the essays, practice writing them and get an English teacher to mark them. The KAPLAN course is supposedly helpful too.

**Don't panic if you don't understand abstract reasoning on the UKCAT to begin with. Practice makes perfect! And remember: UKCAT requires practice, BMAT requires revision/learning**
Reply 2
Thanks, this was really helpful! My teachers had said about the questions books before, and I'll look into this KAPLAN course
No problem. But remember 2 things:
1. The UKCAT preparation shouldn't be more than 2-3 weeks
2. The BMAT is tough, so don't be disheartened when you don't perform incredibly to being with.
Reply 5
The BMAT is the hardest test I have ever done in my life. Even after solidly preparing anything and everything that could possibly come up, there is still an element of chance in it, mainly because you get like 30 seconds per question. I would just recommend doing LOTS of past papers again and again to get you familiar with the layout. Having said that, it isn't impossible to get a good mark in it provided you have your wits about you.

UKCAT, in my opinion, is a lottery.
Reply 6
Hi what is a good bmat score? Where did you get your past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Tcwillbe
Hi what is a good bmat score? Where did you get your past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends where you are applying. Oxford look at it along with GCSEs on a sliding scale e.g. Better GCSEs will require a lower BMAT and vice versa. Cambridge don't use it much, they look more at AS than BMAT. Imperial have a cut off, if you get below it most likely you'll be rejected. Last year it was 4.7,4.6,2.5C I believe. UCL use it more holistically so they take into account your whole application so a great application would mean you wouldn't have to get as high in the BMAT. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending