The Student Room Group

University network blocks use of Wireless routers.

Hello,

I am a university student and at my halls of residence each room has a wired internet port by the desk. This can be very annoying if you want to either connect your laptop elsewhere in the room or if you want to connect a mobile device for example.

To overcome this I purchased a Sapido RB-1602 pocket 3-in-1 Router, Access point and Wireless Bridge. However when I connect it to the ethernet port in my room my laptop has no trouble connecting but the university network requires you to go through a registration IP check and security check. This happens but then a pop up appears saying that 'the host is already registered'.

I contacted my IT support service and they said 'It's not possible to connect routers to the student network. Your laptop has a live IP address, but the wireless router will be blocked by Campus Manager.' I don't really understand this as it goes a bit over my technical ability but does anyone know if there is any way to work around this because it would really help if I could get this thing working.

Thanks, Rory
Original post by RoryBear
Hello,

I am a university student and at my halls of residence each room has a wired internet port by the desk. This can be very annoying if you want to either connect your laptop elsewhere in the room or if you want to connect a mobile device for example.

To overcome this I purchased a Sapido RB-1602 pocket 3-in-1 Router, Access point and Wireless Bridge. However when I connect it to the ethernet port in my room my laptop has no trouble connecting but the university network requires you to go through a registration IP check and security check. This happens but then a pop up appears saying that 'the host is already registered'.

I contacted my IT support service and they said 'It's not possible to connect routers to the student network. Your laptop has a live IP address, but the wireless router will be blocked by Campus Manager.' I don't really understand this as it goes a bit over my technical ability but does anyone know if there is any way to work around this because it would really help if I could get this thing working.

Thanks, Rory

Try installing an app like Connectify or setting up an ad hoc network, essentially allowing you to use your computer as the wireless router when connected via ethernet.
Reply 2
You can turn you're laptop into a wireless hotspot. That is if you want to connect your phone, tablet, etc to the internet.

Halls generally don't allow routers to be connected (well mine never) but you can also make the SSID hidden so this would be undetectable if needs be.

EDIT: Yeah what he said^^^
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Bear in mind if you have a wireless hotspot active you can get yourself banned off the network. It's a massive security risk for the university, and often they'll clamp down hard to stop you doing this sort of thing.
Reply 4
Even if you do somehow connect a router, chances are you'll be running all your devices behind a NAT which is guaranteed to be prohibited. NATting is detectable unless you're prepared to do packet mangling/editing in order to bypass the TTL checks and it's likely that there is a network traffic policy monitoring abnormal values - in the event of an abnormal value, the network port will be automatically shut down and you'll have to go and explain yourself to get it re-enabled.

"Hidden" SSIDs aren't hidden at all. They are detectable with the right tools and it's a common, but often overlooked, penetration test to simply monitor for rogue hotspots with a laptop and wireless card in monitor mode.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ch0llima
"Hidden" SSIDs aren't hidden at all. They are detectable with the right tools and it's a common, but often overlooked, penetration test to simply monitor for rogue hotspots with a laptop and wireless card in monitor mode.

Or with modern wireless networks with central controller its often possible to detect other wireless networks (I think Cisco CleanAir is one example). The people looking for rouge access points don't even have to leave the comfort of their offices to see what other stuff is out there.
Reply 6
More trouble than its worth: just get a long Ethernet cable to use your laptop from wherever in the room you want. Pretty standard for halls. The provided cable will be tiny but you can just get a 10 or 20m one for a few quid.
Reply 7
Original post by Bhumbauze
More trouble than its worth: just get a long Ethernet cable to use your laptop from wherever in the room you want. Pretty standard for halls. The provided cable will be tiny but you can just get a 10 or 20m one for a few quid.

Doesn't work if you want to connect an iPad or a mobile phone though.
Reply 8
Original post by sabian92
Doesn't work if you want to connect an iPad or a mobile phone though.

No, but it's still the best option available in halls... and just do without on phone. Or, don't live in halls. If they're anything like my halls were, getting caught setting up a wireless access point on the university network would get your internet access removed for the entire year. Not worth it.

That said - I do think they need to get moving with the times, really. My university had free campus-wide wireless across the main campus for all students - and yet, no wireless in Halls and you had to pay 120 quid for them to activate your Ethernet port. Hmmm.
Reply 9
Original post by Bhumbauze
No, but it's still the best option available in halls... and just do without on phone. Or, don't live in halls. If they're anything like my halls were, getting caught setting up a wireless access point on the university network would get your internet access removed for the entire year. Not worth it.

That said - I do think they need to get moving with the times, really. My university had free campus-wide wireless across the main campus for all students - and yet, no wireless in Halls and you had to pay 120 quid for them to activate your Ethernet port. Hmmm.

Well, true but then you shouldn't have to find awkward workarounds considering you're paying to be there.

I'm going to LJMU in September - free campus wide wifi and loads of charging points in canteens and the like so you can actually work and not worry about charging.

£120? Rip off considering you're paying 3k a year rent for a bedroom....
Reply 10
£120? Rip off considering you're paying 3k a year rent for a bedroom....

You think a tenner a month for unlimited broadband is a rip-off? I'd like to know where you get your broadband from. :erm:
Reply 11
Original post by Dez
You think a tenner a month for unlimited broadband is a rip-off? I'd like to know where you get your broadband from. :erm:

Eh, put it like that and it's alright I suppose. You generally don't pay the whole bill in 1 go though.
Reply 12
Eh, put it like that and it's alright I suppose. You generally don't pay the whole bill in 1 go though.

True, but you also don't normally get four months' wages at once either. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending