The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Go to www.whatuni.com

Enter your intended subject, Enter. And on the next page there is a facility to enter your grades, and that will give you a list of likely Unis. You will sill have to check with each Uni to see what subject specific grades and/or GCSE they want.

Also, look at HND & Foundation courses. Successful completion can often get you direct entry to a 'normal' degree course or with HND, sometimes even onto the 2nd year. On the same site, just select HND or Foundation from the 'Degree' pull-down (ignore Access courses - these are designed for older applicants with no conventional qualifications).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Depends on what course you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi all just got my as level results I take biology chemistry and maths well in unit one got 2B's and an A in maths in unit 2 I dropped low to an E in all ,now my overall AS results are 3 D's . This is 2nd year retaking my as level I have improved from last year though but I really want to get into university to get into biomedical science, university like Coventry, wesminster accept 3c's can they flexible in accepting me ?? if I do really good in A2. please help me I really want to get into university please.
Reply 4
Original post by drsdv
Hi all just got my as level results I take biology chemistry and maths well in unit one got 2B's and an A in maths in unit 2 I dropped low to an E in all ,now my overall AS results are 3 D's . This is 2nd year retaking my as level I have improved from last year though but I really want to get into university to get into biomedical science, university like Coventry, wesminster accept 3c's can they flexible in accepting me ?? if I do really good in A2. please help me I really want to get into university please.

Why would you want to study subjects at which you struggle?
Reply 5
I'd advise looking at unis that don't look at grades but tariff points
You have to be realistic. If you are finding A levels this tough, University may not be a realistic option. 3 Cs are not going to get you an offer for anything amazing in Biomed.

Instead you might need to aim lower and look at other subjects like Health Studies, or a straight Science course with a Foundation year to make up for low A levels : http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/natural-sciences-foundation

You dont have to go to Uni. Think about an NHS apprenticeship in something like Pharmacy : http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/pharmacy/pharmacy-assistant/
Original post by drsdv

Enter for Coventry and Westminster, and then maybe a couple that would accept CCD or CDD. Work your ass off next year, resit the unit 2s. Who knows, you might even end up with better grades than you were expecting if your unit 2s end up anything like your unit 1s. And there's always clearing and foundation courses.
There are unis out there that will accept CCC/CCD, and there's always Clearing and foundation courses. It sounds like you finished your A levels a couple of years ago; have you considered taking a new one or redoing an old one?
Reply 10

sussex and southampton will never let those grades in.
Reply 11
Original post by ladynova
sussex and southampton will never let those grades in.

I was looking more at foundation course rather that OPs grades

Yeah Southampton still want reasonable tariff points between 280 and 350 or relevant work experience.

Sussex want BCC

Plymouth only want 80 points
Greenwich want 120 points
Northumbria 200 points
Huddersfield 140 points
London Met will take you doesn't ask for grade just recent study
All the above for extend degrees

With Westminster why not do their foundation degree http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/subjects/biomedical-sciences/undergraduate-courses/opendistance-learning/d09pufdb-foundation-degree-in-biomedical-sciences and try for a better uni
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
UWE offer biomedical science, they aren't too high on grades or points.
Do you know what it is that is stopping you from maintaining higher grades? For example do you struggle in exams, is your written work letting you down?
A- levels aren't the only route into university, you could look into doing a one-year Access to Higher Education course, which isn't based on UCAS points, but is made up of level 3 modules that are graded at Distinction, Merit or Pass. Offers from universities would then ask for a certain number of credits, for example 30 Distinctions plus 15 Merits overall.
Access courses are also good for improving study skills and identifying your individual strengths and weaknesses in things like essay writing and revision techniques, so you get a really well-rounded skills set by the end of the course.
you can do a foundation year.
it depends on what you want to study.
Reply 16
When my OH went to Uni like 8 years ago he had all Ds at A level and got in through clearing. He then went on to get a masters. No foundation year. You just can't be very picky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
My friend received DDE this year for his A-Level results and still got in! :eek:

I think he had to choose a foundation year for mechanical engineering at Brighton, but still to his chosen uni :smile:
Reply 18
I was wondering. I'm 20, can I apply for Biochemistry at university like Birmingham? Especially with these grades:

A-Levels
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Psychology- C

I got these grades after resitting a year. Standard offer is ABB/AAB. I was thinking of resitting a module in Psychology to get upto an A. Will it affect my application?

GCSE
English Language- A
English Literature- A*
Maths- A
Biology- A
Chemistry- B
Physics- B
Religious Education- A
Physical Education short course- A
Citizenship (short course)- B
Reply 19
Original post by Gannicus
Why would you want to study subjects at which you struggle?

Just because you struggle at a subject doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. I don't know about the other person but for me I didn't do very well at GCSE and got C's in maths and normal science (not triple). Anyway all my teacher advised me not to do physics at A-level because they knew I struggled with gcse maths and science but the thing was that I enjoyed it and I wanted to carry on with it. Sure it took a lot of work and at times I felt like giving up with it, especially after getting a low E at AS physics. But I still took it onto A2 and dropped geography which I actually had an A in at the time. I got my results on the 15th and I was amazed that I managed to get a C in Physics allowing me to get into my firm uni (Nottingham) even though my offer was AAB, guess I got extremely lucky! I know that C isn't an amazing grade compared to all of the elitists on tsr with 5 A* at A-level, but I was happy with it :smile:

Anyway the point is just because you struggle at something, if you enjoy it enough then you should be putting the work in no problem so you will get better at it.

Latest

Trending

Trending