The Student Room Group

How to mark maths exams (edexcel board)

So ive just done my first past paper, as a test to see where im at in c1 (all my exams are in june)
When marking it wasnt confusing, but i want to get to grips with somethings before marking and getting As in everything, when i might of got a B.

So first of all i saw all these B1, M1 M2 etc, are these like marking points?
Also, is there any error carried forward mark?
For example i just done a 5 mark question (coordinate geometry) i calculated the gradient wrong, by simply subtracting wrong (-1-4 as -5 not 3)
So as a result everything was wrong, despite using the correct methodology.

Does that mean i get 0 marks, my teacher said theres rarely any method marks given?

And thats it :smile:

Joe
Reply 1
:bump:
If you look at the start of most of the official markschemes, they tell you what the abbreviations mean.

M marks: method marks are awarded for ‘knowing a method and attempting to apply it’,
unless otherwise indicated.
A marks: Accuracy marks can only be awarded if the relevant method (M) marks have
been earned.
B marks are unconditional accuracy marks (independent of M marks)
Marks should not be subdivided.

Abbreviations:

bod benefit of doubt
ft follow through
the symbol will be used for correct ft
cao correct answer only
cso - correct solution only. There must be no errors in this part of the question to
obtain this mark
isw ignore subsequent working
awrt answers which round to
SC: special case
oe or equivalent (and appropriate)
dep dependent
indep independent
dp decimal places
sf significant figures
 The answer is printed on the paper
The second mark is dependent on gaining the first mark
Reply 3
Original post by joe1545
So ive just done my first past paper, as a test to see where im at in c1 (all my exams are in june)
When marking it wasnt confusing, but i want to get to grips with somethings before marking and getting As in everything, when i might of got a B.

So first of all i saw all these B1, M1 M2 etc, are these like marking points?
Also, is there any error carried forward mark?
For example i just done a 5 mark question (coordinate geometry) i calculated the gradient wrong, by simply subtracting wrong (-1-4 as -5 not 3)
So as a result everything was wrong, despite using the correct methodology.

Does that mean i get 0 marks, my teacher said theres rarely any method marks given?

And thats it :smile:

Joe

Lot's of 'method' marks are awarded, expecially on the big mark questions.
ECF is often applied (you'll often see it say 'their x' or 'their gradient' in recent marks schemes where this is the case).
The C1 mark scheme for Jan 2012 is attached. I think it's more clear and comprehensive than I could be about how questions would be marked.
2012 Jan C1 ms 6663_01_msc_20120123.pdf
2012 Jan C1 qp 6663_01_que_20120307.pdf
Mark schemes are made for markers not so much for students but in recent years they have become more student and teacher friendly.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending