The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 1
Not sure about the Economics.. That would be a Soph question.

Regarding the second, I beleive southampton has one of the highest international student admissions, and so there is quite a large community of different cultures. I myself have not witnessed any racism among the students at university., and it has never been suggested as a huge problem.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thats pretty cool ... I love the whole international student atmosphere ... man I am so lookign forward to Soton and I hope I have the best time of my life .. !
Reply 3
ammarb87
Thats pretty cool ... I love the whole international student atmosphere ... man I am so lookign forward to Soton and I hope I have the best time of my life .. !

Its good, In my flat we have two chinease post grads and they cook the most amazing things! One of my close friends is a Nigerian international student, and I've earnt so much about different cultures and such. Been a eye opening experience.
Reply 4
Where do most intl students live ? and do they group ppl in an appt from the same course ?
Reply 5
Do you mean, do they put people in halls based on courses? Then no. Completely random allocation generally depends on your specifications .g smoking/non smoking.
I have been told the block Im in is considered a 'International' block as alot of international studnets tend to be housed here, I think it may be because of Intl tend to go on long lets for example. But usually there no specific grouping.
Reply 6
Yeah I hope I get a place at the Glen Eyre Halls ... cant wait to get to Soton .. so how much do u guys reckon ou spend on food per week ? I know it really depends on the person but in general ...
Reply 7
When I first started uni it was arounf 20-25 quid a week..However I then broke out of my brand food name thinking..(You dont realise how attached you become to branding! 9p beans and 12p fishfingers taste just as good.) Now its 10-15quid a week.
Reply 8
Generally good reputation. Well regarded by the big 4 and most of the large actuarial type firms. Lots of careers fairs put on by the careers service and the Economics society is getting a lot better and has built up good links with Deloitte, Accenture, PWC, KPMG etc etc. It's a strong uni and they tend to respect our grads.

Very international course, completely diverse ethnic mix.

Food £30 a week ish but I enjoy Sainsburys a bit too much.
Reply 9
So how is the Economics and Management Sciences course? Are the prospects for IB good ? Is the Eco&Politics course better ? .... btw does the dept hold extra math classes for people whose math skills arent that strong?
Reply 10
No idea about the course. Find out what econ modules you do and I can tell you about them. Mang modules generally easy, straight econ students take them as a doss unit.

Prospects for IB will be generally OK I guess, don't really know as never considered it for myself.

In what ways do you mean is the econ and pol course better? In terms of IB prospects, job prospects, course content..

No extra maths classes. Surgery sessions and just bug lecturers for help or find an external tutor.
Reply 11
Sophdoph
No idea about the course. Find out what econ modules you do and I can tell you about them. Mang modules generally easy, straight econ students take them as a doss unit.

Prospects for IB will be generally OK I guess, don't really know as never considered it for myself.

In what ways do you mean is the econ and pol course better? In terms of IB prospects, job prospects, course content..

No extra maths classes. Surgery sessions and just bug lecturers for help or find an external tutor.

They hold surgery sesssions right .. well thats the same thing isnt it ? .. umm is tranferring between courses easy? I am thinking of asking them to transfer me to the Eco&Fin course .. Can u do that once ur at uni?
Reply 12
Not really the same no, it's not an extra class for maths help they just answer specific questions related to problem sets and things.

No idea about transferring courses never had any experience of anyone changing
Reply 13
Oh right .. Well then I better get my maths skills polished over the summer. Do you guys know a good maths book from which I can polish my math skills appropriate to the course?
Reply 14
Ian Jacques Mathematics for Economics and Business for starters. This was book for non A Level maths starters.

However, since you have to have maths now I guess they'll use Statistics for Business and Economics (Mansfield) and Sydesaeter and Hammond Maths for Economics. Email O'Brien.
Reply 15
Thanks guys ... Will get these books asap ..
Reply 16
I'm not sure they'll still be core books. And they are expensive!
Reply 17
Sophdoph
I'm not sure they'll still be core books. And they are expensive!

At least I'll know something when I start the course eh ... I wont be lost I hope :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending