The Student Room Group

Starting a fresh social life at uni

My first term at university has been ****, socially, partly down to **** luck and a lack of social understanding on my behalf. I'm not socially awkward, im just a bit behind on what you can and cant do. I have friends but theyr dotted around all over the place and theres no real group that i have. I want to start fresh, with a group of friends who are all close to each other like everyone else.

I'm not some friendless loser who cant make friends, i have friends and an ocean of aquaintances, but i just dont have a group of friends, which i'd like better. People are going to say, join societies, talk to people, but that's vague. I dont want to beg friend, i just feel like i'd come off as desperate if i just meet some guy in a society and then just tag along with his group of friends all the time. Theyd start wondering why im suddenly spending so much time with them rather than my own friends.

Any advice would be nice, esp if elaborated rather than vague. Just so sick of having random friends everywhere, instead of all of them together.
Don't just tag along, because then you'll still just be that guys friend but hanging out with the rest of his friends. Ask, "Mind if I join you and your friends?", and if you're not a complete weirdo they'll probably invite you along happily. Introduce yourself to everyone with a handshake and get involved in the group. It's horrible if you're stood there as part of the group but no one actually involves you because they don't know you.

Also another tip, match their energy. What I mean is: If you can tell everyone's excited and lively, you need to match that. If you introduce yourself kinda nervous and quiet then you'll kill their buzz. If you're on the same kinda energy vibe it'll be a lot easier for them to welcome you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending