The Student Room Group

Mooting Skeleton argument help required urgently...

Hello, I am a first year law student just about to do my first moot (which is next week) I have yet not been able to do gather any information as yet. I am incredibly nervous about this whole topic and do not have any form of understand in how i should or could produce a skeleton argument for the case; I am the senior appellant. I do not know what cases i could base this case on. If anyone can please help me i would highly appreciate your assistance. Thank you:

Below is the case:

the case I have been given is:
University Of the East of England v Ms Edward.

Ms Edwards is a student at the University of the East of England. She lives in halls of residence, and pays £140 per week for her accommodation, £20 a week less than she would pay for the equivalent private rental property in her area. Her tenancy agreement includes the following terms:

(a) Students are prohibited from holding parties in the accommodation without the prior permission of the University;

(b) Collective liability will be imposed upon students for damage when the individual(s) responsible cannot be identified; each student will pay an equal proportion in respect of any such damage;

(c) The University accepts no liability in negligence for property damage suffered by students on University premises.

In order to raise money to pay for a holiday, Ms Edwards wants to hold a themed party in her university accommodation, and to charge each guest a £10 admission fee. She does not want to seek the permission of the University for this party, since she believes that her plan to charge an entrance fee, and the theme, ‘music inspired by LSD’, would be unacceptable to it and she thinks that term (a) is ‘unfair’ and therefore contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Ms Edwards also thinks that term (c) unfair because it is ‘unreasonable’ and therefore contrary to s.2(2) of the Unfair Contract Terms Act (UCTA) 1977. This term concerns her because her MP3 player has been broken in her halls of residence by the University’s negligence.

The trial judge accepts Ms Edwards’ argument, holding:

SENIOR
(1) That term (a), considered in the light of term (b), is unfair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, and therefore not binding on her;

Thank you in advance.
Do you go to City?
Original post by Illuminated_A
Do you go to City?

I'm going to make a wild guess at University of the West of England.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I'm going to make a wild guess at University of the West of England.

Im asking because he has exactly the same scenario as me, which is also next week
Reply 4
I have this moot problem this year, can anyone help me with how to find 3 relevant authorities?
Original post by btatlow
I have this moot problem this year, can anyone help me with how to find 3 relevant authorities?

Hi, Becca, I am from City too, having the same moot (I guess we all are), are you a senior appellant too?
Reply 6
Hi I am a Senior Appellant yeah.. Basically I'm trying to finish the Legal Method Research Assessment and we have to talk about 3 authorities that we will use but I don't have a clue how to do it :frown: how are you finding it?
Original post by btatlow
Hi I am a Senior Appellant yeah.. Basically I'm trying to finish the Legal Method Research Assessment and we have to talk about 3 authorities that we will use but I don't have a clue how to do it :frown: how are you finding it?

Hard and confusing :/ I'm trying to do my legal method assessment too but I can't find any relevant cases. Did you find any?
Reply 8
Have you got Facebook or anything? Add me at Becca Tatlow it will be easier to talk?
Reply 9
hi
I am tamana and I go city as well, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the mooting skeleton
I am Senior Appellant also
thanks
hi becca I go city as well,
have you Receive any help with the mooting skeleton I would appreciated if you can help me, I am senior appellant
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest