The Student Room Group

I feel like i would be a better boyfriend than her current one, should i say?

Title says it all, got on good terms with a girl (however i missed my chance, but that's another convo for another time) and i know her bf (not very well, but know a little) and basically i know a few things which makes him "flawed" in a way (like being a very jealous person, and had a history of smoking) and i want to tell her that she's too good for him and that i would make a better candidate as it were (she knows i like her)

However i'm not sure if i should do this, as not sure if this is just jealously or whether i truley believe i would be a better person for her

BTW: She is in love with him (and she was before they started dating)

Scroll to see replies

If she's in love with him, she probably won't appreciate you saying that he isn't good enough for her and that you would be better. Also, you don't know him very well, so it's pretty silly to judge, and as you like her, you are of course only going to see his flaws as you want to believe that she has a reason to be with you instead of him - namely, that you're better for her.

And even if you were to be better for her, which nobody can know, that doesn't mean she wants to be with you, sorry to say. If she's happy with him, leave it.
Reply 2
Original post by desdemonata
If she's in love with him, she probably won't appreciate you saying that he isn't good enough for her and that you would be better. Also, you don't know him very well, so it's pretty silly to judge, and as you like her, you are of course only going to see his flaws as you want to believe that she has a reason to be with you instead of him - namely, that you're better for her.

And even if you were to be better for her, which nobody can know, that doesn't mean she wants to be with you, sorry to say. If she's happy with him, leave it.

Forgot to add into there that before they started dating we got quite close (no sex, but 2nd base was almost a certainty when we were alone, but i didn't see the signals, i was just happy for the attention tbh, felt like a right dick ever since i found out she did like me)
Reply 3
Original post by paddyman4
lol

i mean very jealous, i can hide my jealously or push it outta my mind, but she's told me he can't hide his very well, he got a little annoyed that me and her hugged (freindly hug)
Original post by Anonymous
Forgot to add into there that before they started dating we got quite close (no sex, but 2nd base was almost a certainty when we were alone, but i didn't see the signals, i was just happy for the attention tbh, felt like a right dick ever since i found out she did like me)

That doesn't change the fact that she's in love with him now, and presumably happy with him (seeing as you haven't said that there are any issues, only that he is flawed... so are you, by the way. Nobody is perfect).
Reply 5
That doesn't change the fact that she's in love with him now, and presumably happy with him (seeing as you haven't said that there are any issues, only that he is flawed... so are you, by the way. Nobody is perfect).

oh i'm not saying i'm perfect (the fact that i missed my chance is a flaw of mine) just saying that i'd see myself better for her than her current bf, and as far as i know there are no issues as we've agreed to try and not talk about her bf and sexual escpades with me as thats when i get jealous (well she did let slip that she annoyed about not getting to see her much due to her having a lot of uni work to do)

I would be fine if i had some sort of game plan, but i don't, so i live with feeling like a dick everyday and i don't like the fact that i hurt her
Reply 6
Don't be a prat. If you were truly a better person, you would just move on and accept that she has chosen to be with him and not you. You had your chance and you blew it. You don't know that you're better for her. She can make her own mistakes in life (if being with him is a mistake). If his jealousy bothers her, then they can deal with it themselves and smoking does not make you a bad person.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Title says it all, got on good terms with a girl (however i missed my chance, but that's another convo for another time) and i know her bf (not very well, but know a little) and basically i know a few things which makes him "flawed" in a way (like being a very jealous person, and had a history of smoking) and i want to tell her that she's too good for him and that i would make a better candidate as it were (she knows i like her)

However i'm not sure if i should do this, as not sure if this is just jealously or whether i truley believe i would be a better person for her

Then why would you ruin it?
Reply 8
i mean very jealous, i can hide my jealously or push it outta my mind, but she's told me he can't hide his very well, he got a little annoyed that me and her hugged (freindly hug)

So you know that he gets jealous because she told you he gets jealous, and so you are wondering whether you should inform her that he gets jealous.

Makes sense.

Actual advice:

Spoiler

oh i'm not saying i'm perfect (the fact that i missed my chance is a flaw of mine) just saying that i'd see myself better for her than her current bf, and as far as i know there are no issues as we've agreed to try and not talk about her bf and sexual escpades with me as thats when i get jealous (well she did let slip that she annoyed about not getting to see her much due to her having a lot of uni work to do)

I would be fine if i had some sort of game plan, but i don't, so i live with feeling like a dick everyday and i don't like the fact that i hurt her

A lot of people think that when someone they like is with someone else. Most of the time it is jealousy, and hope that you can convince the person the like of the same thing.

If there are no issues, and she's happy, then why are you even asking this question? Let her be happy. We don't always get what we want, and it sucks, but don't begrudge the happiness of someone you care for.
Reply 10
A lot of people think that when someone they like is with someone else. Most of the time it is jealousy, and hope that you can convince the person the like of the same thing.

If there are no issues, and she's happy, then why are you even asking this question? Let her be happy. We don't always get what we want, and it sucks, but don't begrudge the happiness of someone you care for.

the reason why i'm asking it is cos i was wondering whether my thought was jealiusly fueled or not (as i don't wanna split them up outta jealously)

Also i kinda don't have anything else to do in love life, explored all avenues i can see, i have contacted a counciler, hopefully they can give me some sort of game plan to help me move on and focus on other things (as soon as i have something to strive for then i tend to become a lot better)
the reason why i'm asking it is cos i was wondering whether my thought was jealiusly fueled or not (as i don't wanna split them up outta jealously)

Also i kinda don't have anything else to do in love life, explored all avenues i can see, i have contacted a counciler, hopefully they can give me some sort of game plan to help me move on and focus on other things (as soon as i have something to strive for then i tend to become a lot better)

And my point is, you shouldn't split them up regardless if she's happy.

Then that's an issue you need to sort out, as you are doing, don't push it into a happy relationship and break them up. It would be incredibly selfish. You say you feel like a dick for hurting her; you'd feel ten times worse if you broke them up and she was really upset about it.
Reply 12
If you're truly her friend you wouldn't interrupt her happiness for the sake of your own. Sorry to say it, but from the sounds of things you only want to tell her these things for the sake of yourself, not to improve her life in any way.

My advice would be to simply move on. Don't string yourself up in the hope you might one day get a chance, it's just not worth it.
Reply 13
And my point is, you shouldn't split them up regardless if she's happy.

Then that's an issue you need to sort out, as you are doing, don't push it into a happy relationship and break them up. It would be incredibly selfish. You say you feel like a dick for hurting her; you'd feel ten times worse if you broke them up and she was really upset about it.

that is a good point, just not sure what i can do to move on, like i said i don't have anyone i can try for (all the girls i know are either taken or have rejected me) so in my love life have nothing to strive for (i know that makes me sound needy, but i just need something to take my mind of my huge mistake that i made)
that is a good point, just not sure what i can do to move on, like i said i don't have anyone i can try for (all the girls i know are either taken or have rejected me) so in my love life have nothing to strive for (i know that makes me sound needy, but i just need something to take my mind of my huge mistake that i made)

Cut contact if need be, or lessen it for a while as you sort out your feelings. Someone else will come along, and if all the girls you know are taken, why not get out and try and meet new people? Join clubs, societies, go out with groups you normally don't, that kind of thing.
Reply 15
Cut contact if need be, or lessen it for a while as you sort out your feelings. Someone else will come along, and if all the girls you know are taken, why not get out and try and meet new people? Join clubs, societies, go out with groups you normally don't, that kind of thing.

Been trying to meet new people; all people i know in sports club / socities are taken or just not into me, not a clubber so don't really like to go, and people i don't normally hand around with well ..... there are reasons why i don't hang around with me

This is something that i've been TRYING to figure out for months and everything i've thought of / done has backfired in my face, this is what i'm hoping my counciler will be able to help me with (when i have my appointment that is)
Reply 16
She's with him for a reason, whether you think it's right or wrong. You shouldn't involve yourself in someone else's relationship, regardless of whether you're best friends or not. Like you said, you missed your chance and now you're going to have to wait to see how their relationship pans out.

How would you feel if you were in a relationship with her and he was contemplating professing his love for her and attempting to break you both up? I suggest you at least attempt to respect their relationship
Been trying to meet new people; all people i know in sports club / socities are taken or just not into me, not a clubber so don't really like to go, and people i don't normally hand around with well ..... there are reasons why i don't hang around with me

This is something that i've been TRYING to figure out for months and everything i've thought of / done has backfired in my face, this is what i'm hoping my counciler will be able to help me with (when i have my appointment that is)

It sounds like you need to learn how to be single. It's not a curse, you know :smile: Good luck with your councilor, but there's always something you can do to meet new people. Go for a day trip with a friend, go to a concert, whatever you like.
Don't tell her. If you care about her, you'll want her to be happy. Maybe he is flawed, but so is everyone. She's in love with him and is happy - leave it be.
Reply 19

Before you tell her that you want to replace her bf you should get a better feel for whether or not she likes you and if once she breaks up with her boyfriend she would be willing to date you. Try getting closer to her, establish yourself as a confidant and get her to share with you all of the problems and benefits her relationship with her boyfriend has. There are bound to be weak spots, once you have found them, exploit the weak points in their relationship. Assuming you manage to get close to her as this confidant, you should be able to slip it in sooner or later. Buy your time, get close and systematically remove her bf from her life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending