The Student Room Group

HELP Physically do not know how to write/research an essay?

I have no study skills. I've never set foot in a library. I've only ever written essays in one night, driven by panic, with the aid of google scholar and online previews of books. I usually get 65-70%. I'm in third year now and want to do things properly. I have an assignment due in exactly eight days. I want it to be good so I'm starting now. I did intend to start months ago, but I didn't because I'm an idiot. I want to get 80+ on this.

Problem is I DON'T know what to do. I don't know how to read or research properly. I don't know how to manage time effectively. I don't actually know what I'm doing, and need to research it. But I cannot physically do anything unless there's less than 24 hours to go and it's do or die.

I don't want to go through that stress anymore. I want to get the essay done with at least a day to spare. But what do I do?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Original post by La_Chiquita
I have no study skills. I have never set foot in a library. . . I'm in third year now and want to do things properly.. . . I have an assignment due in exactly eight days.

Problem is I DON'T know what to do. I don't know how to read or research properly. I don't know how to manage time effectively. I don't actually know what I'm doing, and need to research it. .

I hope you're trolling. How have you got this far in life?
Reply 2
I have no study skills. I've never set foot in a library. I've only ever written essays in one night, driven by panic, with the aid of google scholar and online previews of books. I usually get 65-70%. I'm in third year now and want to do things properly. I have an assignment due in exactly eight days. I want it to be good so I'm starting now. I did intend to start months ago, but I didn't because I'm an idiot. I want to get 80+ on this.

Problem is I DON'T know what to do. I don't know how to read or research properly. I don't know how to manage time effectively. I don't actually know what I'm doing, and need to research it. But I cannot physically do anything unless there's less than 24 hours to go and it's do or die.

I don't want to go through that stress anymore. I want to get the essay done with at least a day to spare. But what do I do?

80+ is pretty much impossible - you'd have to be in the realms of publishable work for final year standard.
Reply 3

Give someone your money and you only get it back if you finish the assignment say a week before it's due. Or 4 days or something. Make enough money so that it hurts to lose it.
Reply 4
Original post by Clare~Bear
I hope you're trolling. How have you got this far in life?

Sadly not. Ive just always been able to manage it. Usually I'll read the essay question decide my own answer/argument and keyword search for references to support it. This time however I don't have an argument to make. I need to research it but it's honestly like I have a physical block I just cannot do it. Half of me is worrying, the other is thinking EIGHT days is LOADS OF TIME but I don't think I can handle the stress of another all nighter on the day it's due.
Reply 5
Original post by danny111
Give someone your money and you only get it back if you finish the assignment say a week before it's due. Or 4 days or something. Make enough money so that it hurts to lose it.

It doesn't work, I've tried that. One of my methods of procrastinating is to cook. ''I've got this essay, but how can I possibly write this essay when I haven't cooked this anti-oxidant rich mushroom soup. The recipe suggests the anti-oxidant rich yet slightly odd addition of white tea. I wonder what that will taste like. Tea and mushrooms. How intriguing. There is no way I can possibly do anything else in life other than make this enigmatic soup''

I made my housemate promise not to let me in the kitchen until I'd done 500 words at least. She was true to her word but I eventually figured food was over rated and found something else to procrastinate with. ''The hoover cleans the house but WHO cleans the hoover? I've never cleaned the hoover...I'm a terrible person. Sod the essay. I must clean the hoover at once''.

I need motivation, something :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending