The Student Room Group

Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster - who's next?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Carphone Warehouse. They went into business with Best Buy why exactly? They surrendered 50% share in THEIR OWN STORES so they could go into business with a consumer electronics retailer, a sector that is about to dry up and die a painful death. Best Buy UK already failed, it's surely only a matter of time before Best Buy Europe goes down, and for CPW to regain full control of their own retail chain they'll have to buy out Best Buy USA's half of the group before the whole of CPW gets dragged down into bankruptcy by the impending failure of the Best Buy EU stores.

Even once they extricate themselves from the Best Buy mistake, they're left with a chain of stores that sell overpriced goods that are cheaper on the internet, where there is far more choice, and, ironically, the sellers online know more about the products than the stores. You ask any memeber of staff at CPW the spec of a phone, they'll just stare at you blankly for a few seconds, then tell you to look it up online (!!!)

I'm not so sure about Currys/PC World. Depends how much Dixons Retail (its far larger parent company, they're much more than just these two brands) want to subsidise a dying brand. They might just decide to dissolve them before it gets to the point of administration.
Reply 181
Original post by Skip_Snip
Waterstone's is probably okay, as someone else said, many readers like to have books in the flesh. But they have the same owners as HMV, bear that in mind

They don't, Waterstone's was purchased by Alexander Mamut's A&NN in 2011.
Just been in town and BHS has signs in the window saying its closing down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My local WHSmiths is closing down soon. The next nearest has been struggling for a while too, with quite a few people ready to jump ship as soon as an opportunity arises. However I think this is a similar picture across the board in retail.

Also, quite shocking to read comments along the lines of "XYZ shop deserve to go" "I hope XYZ shop goes..." - all I think about are the job losses, the empty high streets and the strain on the welfare state.
Reply 184
Original post by InnerTemple
My local WHSmiths is closing down soon. The next nearest has been struggling for a while too, with quite a few people ready to jump ship as soon as an opportunity arises. However I think this is a similar picture across the board in retail.

Also, quite shocking to read comments along the lines of "XYZ shop deserve to go" "I hope XYZ shop goes..." - all I think about are the job losses, the empty high streets and the strain on the welfare state.

That's surprising, where do you live? I think WH Smith largely staggers on through loyalty amongst older customers, unavoidable locations at railway stations and airports and the fact that they pay terrible wages.

I agree totally about the impact of all these closures, especially on students who often used to be able to get jobs in them. The scope for p/t work for younger people and students is disappearing at a rate of knots.
Original post by Fires
That's surprising, where do you live? I think WH Smith largely staggers on through loyalty amongst older customers, unavoidable locations at railway stations and airports and the fact that they pay terrible wages.

I agree totally about the impact of all these closures, especially on students who often used to be able to get jobs in them. The scope for p/t work for younger people and students is disappearing at a rate of knots.

South Essex. The stores I mentioned are in shopping centres - where there are cheaper alternatives for people to go to. This may explain why these stores are performing badly.
Surely WH Smith
Reply 187
South Essex. The stores I mentioned are in shopping centres - where there are cheaper alternatives for people to go to. This may explain why these stores are performing badly.

South Essex is in a state of chronic Toryism, so that may explain it - WH Smiths after all sell deeply subversive publications like the Guardian and New Statesman, not just magazines about hot hatches and how to colour your hair even more extremely blonde. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Original post by scrotgrot
I think this is a huge opportunity for our high streets. It's the free market at its most ruthless - and its most revolutionary. I'd rather have the dross and the zombie chains cleared out so they can be replaced with shops that consumers actually want to use, stimulating our economy.

Most of these shops have been obsolete for a decade, dead men walking, it's just the recession that's dealt the final blow. The problem with a failing business model that nevertheless has a lot of capital is it's kept running for as long as possible with higher and higher prices while being asset-stripped behind the scenes. This rips off consumers, erodes working rights and enriches fat cats.

It's also a huge ****-you to the real-estate speculators who charge shops such high rent, the same people who ensured it was only chains who could afford the rents on our high streets. I'd welcome some of the air coming out of that bubble. It might even open up more space for residential housing in the city centre, in this era of housing shortages and expensive commuting.

Our high streets will never be empty. There are three sectors that will never leave the high street:
- Bargain bins (charity shops, 99p shops)
- Things where your body has to be there (tanning salons, coffee shops, cafes)
- Shops which offer an "experience" or a unique environment

The third one means the more unique the shop, the more likely it is to survive. That bodes well for the reinjection of some local character into your town centre.

It could also be a golden opportunity for co-operatives and local currency schemes, stuff like that, if high street shops can get together more and work together more to draw consumers away from the Internet and the shopping centres that already use this co-operative model.

I think you are very clever.
Original post by Fires
South Essex is in a state of chronic Toryism, so that may explain it - WH Smiths after all sell deeply subversive publications like the Guardian and New Statesman, not just magazines about hot hatches and how to colour your hair even more extremely blonde. Sorry, couldn't resist.

As an Essex blond, I could become quite angry at that statement. But I'll overlook it. This once.

As for the Toryism - yeah it's quite annoying.
Reply 190
As an Essex blond, I could become quite angry at that statement. But I'll overlook it. This once.

As for the Toryism - yeah it's quite annoying.

Is there any other sort of blonde?

Are Essex Tories on the decline, is it all "Ukip this" and "Ukip that" now "dahn Basildon way"?
My mam's friend used to manage our local Waterstones shop and she said a few months ago that the smaller Waterstones shops are at risk (the bigger shops are presumably okay). I'm not sure how reliable this is but I wouldn't be surprised if Waterstones was in trouble as a lot of people just don't have £9 to spare for a book that costs £2 on Amazon. I really hope Waterstones finds a way to survive.

Original post by Swanbow
I think BHS might be in trouble, not sure who actually shops there. Personally I hate all this talk predicting the death of the book/newspaper/magazine. I for one would rather own a hard copy than a digitally stored one that requires a piece of expensive hardware to access it. The whole tablet, smartphone and kindle thing really doesn't do it for me, feel like I'm a dying breed and becoming a bit of a technophobe. Also not liking the way the gaming industry is going, having all games being streamed or downloaded simply isn't practical and I'd rather just own a copy of the game, and what EA are doing with restricting online access to pass codes makes my blood boil.

You might be interested in reading 'This Is Not the End of the Book'. It covers the whole debate about books vs. ebooks but it branches out into so many other topics too relating to the preservation of material in the digital age and the transition from one format to another. It's in the form of a conversation between Jean Claude Carriere, Umberto Eco and an interviewer and it's not very long. It's a great read. I don't want to see the demise of the physical book either but this book makes some good points about the continuation of storytelling and the book in a non physical form :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hustler-1337
I very much agree with most of what you said :biggrin:. Although it may sound unsavoury to most that major retailers such as HMV, Blockusters, Jessops, Woolworths and the like are closing down causing huge job losses, there is perhaps a greater benefit for the economy in the long run. The reorganisation and realignment of the markets will help create and expand markets which are in demand and naturally decline or put level those which are not so much needed - it's the most greatest thing about the free market. Let's face it guys, having HMV, Blockbusters etc stay open isn't doing them, or most the consumers any favour. They're building up their debt and only fooling themselves in keeping themselves open. It's a sad truth but inevitably there will come a point when they can no longer hold on. Thank the internet for causing most of this 'mess' we see today, it's totally revolutionised the way people shop and how products are priced.

There will still be a market for some products where having physical stores will be handy, but there will only be very few retailers which operate in a particular market. There will be fewer retailers and markets will be in the hands of a few large retailers and corporations. We have already seen how smaller independent shops have gone out of business over the years.

I predict the next major British retailers to go out of business are going to be:

Game/ Gamestation - perhaps Game will operate an online-only store in the future

Currys/PCWorld - may struggle, but being one of the only major retailers in that particular market helps them maintain survival.

Robert Dyas

Sports Direct - possibly

Argos - their prices aren't really competitive at all for most of their products

WHSmith - prices are quite shocking for a lot of their products

Carpet Right

Matalan

Furniture Village

Benson For Beds

Savers

Clarks?

My mum would have a heart attack if Clarks shut down,
not sure about sports direct, I work there and it's so so busy, sports direct is pretty much the reason jjb went down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending