The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm self teaching so this thread will be a lifeline to me, thank you! :smile:

This is exam 2/2 on my birthday haha, just what I wanted for my 21st. :wink:

How are you finding it so far? I'm only just starting because I've been doing the AS. Still waiting for my A2 textbook at the moment.
Reply 2
Original post by Feu Fleur
I'm self teaching so this thread will be a lifeline to me, thank you! :smile:

This is exam 2/2 on my birthday haha, just what I wanted for my 21st. :wink:

How are you finding it so far? I'm only just starting because I've been doing the AS. Still waiting for my A2 textbook at the moment.

Are you revising everything from textbook? Thats what i do for bio aswell :smile: hate bio..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm enjoying unit 5 so far. Unit 4 was so boring, with all that ecology. Hopefully won't have to retake it :s-smilie:
Just a bit early :lol:

Starting ISA prep next week.

Did a random experiment today involving maggots and kinesis which was pretty fun.... What topics have you lot started with?
There are only two past papers available on the AQA website for Unit 5 Biology...are there any others from previous years that have not been uploaded?
Reply 6
Reply 7
i cant seem to find that many past papers for this exam? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Anjna
i cant seem to find that many past papers for this exam? :s-smilie:

It is a new specification starting in 2008 and there are only 3 past papers for Unit 5 (2010, 2011, 2012) and a specimen paper.
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
It is a new specification starting in 2008 and there are only 3 past papers for Unit 5 (2010, 2011, 2012) and a specimen paper.

Do you know where i could find the specimen and 2012 paper and mark scheme?
Reply 10
Original post by Anjna
Do you know where i could find the specimen and 2012 paper and mark scheme?

Sample is too big to upload and I can't see it on the AQA site.
PM me an email if you want me to send it.
2012 is probably the paper that your teachers will use for the mock and is only available on secure download at the moment.

There are packs of past paper questions arranged by topic here
http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/packs.html

And A2 revision resources here
http://vbio.weebly.com/a2-level.html
Reply 11
anyone got like a booklet of fundamental questions for biol5?
Actually liking this unit a lot more than unit 4!
Starting making notes will upload them when there done :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Has anyone made the unofficial mark scheme for AQA BIOLOGY A2 isa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does everyone here revise? I never revised properly for gcses or my AS jan exams so really only done two lots of proper revision and I'm still struggling on finding a way that works for me, I just wondered what everyone else finds effective!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by thescientist17
How does everyone here revise? I never revised properly for gcses or my AS jan exams so really only done two lots of proper revision and I'm still struggling on finding a way that works for me, I just wondered what everyone else finds effective!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's been a while but it got me through my Biochem degree so
1. Make notes on each chapter using the textbook, teacher notes and web resources where needed to help understand a topic. I've always done my own notes rather than use a revision guide or copy someone elses because making them is a big part of how I memorised things.
2. Try to answer text book exam style review questions from memory but refering to notes when necessary. Enhance the notes if any thing important is missing
3. Attempt a past paper from memory but refering to notes if necessary. Mark using mark scheme and sometimes the examiners report and enhance notes if required
4. Another past paper, rinse and repeat......
Original post by thescientist17

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is how i revise...
- make notes on what youve done during the week on the weekend
- repeat them until you can do it without looking and make sure you can say outloud all of the page without looking.
- when it gets closer to exams, start doing questions from revision books and past papers and learning mark scheme answers
- if i find something particularly difficult ill do things like mind maps for it too.
Reply 17
anybody done the isa on human characteristics? where you write down peoples thumb types + tongue + eye colour in the practical? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
anyone got any helpful resources? maybe some questions on topics and answers
Reply 19
Do the exam-style questions in the book really help? I've never done them before, partly because I didn't have the answers. But are they genuinely useful?

And does anyone have tips on how to do well in the ISA's? I'm resitting my AS one and doing my A2 one this year. I keep failing and I just feel like it's impossible for me to pass it. No one else seems to have as much trouble as I do. :frown: