The Student Room Group

Failed January Modules

I've had 3 AS January exams this year. I'm not sure how I've done, but I think I've probably got Ds due to poor time management in exams :frown: Will I be able to improve my grades by end of AS? And is it normal to do worse in January exams compared to summer exams?
Reply 1
I did pretty poor in January, and good getter grades in the summer, however in the summer you have more exams because of retakes, so your time management has to be spot on.
Don't worry about your results untill you actually see what you got in March, most people think they did a lot worse than what they actually got! Even if you did do badly, then it is not the end of the world as you can definetly improve as long as you work hard for your May/June exams. My friend went from EE in her January Biology and Chemistry exams to an A and a B when she retook them in May. I think many people make the mistake that they can revise a couple of days before the exam and still get a high grade (like many people get at GCSE), whilst actually A level exams need a lot more revision for :redface:
In my AS exams in jan I got 2 D's. I retook one of them and got a C and in the other subject I got a B in the second exam so ended up getting 2C's. It hard to get to grips with a levels to start with but by the summer it feels easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's totally normal to do worse in January than the summer. Mainly due to the fact that people aren't used to the difference between AS and GCSE. I did worse in my January modules, I decided to retake 3 out of 4 of my modules in the summer, I started revising way earlier and came out with 4 A's overall :smile: don't worry, work hard in summer and everything should work out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ah, reading this thread is giving me hope! I took my Bio, Chem and Geography exams last week. I feel like I flopped my bio and chem exams, which is annoying because I enjoy them the most, and regardless of that I thought I was well prepared and that I would be okay!

I think my downfall was only starting revision mid way through December, but hopefully I can improve my grades in the summer!
Reply 6
The first A-level exams are always the hardest
Original post by lucyxxx
I've had 3 AS January exams this year. I'm not sure how I've done, but I think I've probably got Ds due to poor time management in exams :frown: Will I be able to improve my grades by end of AS? And is it normal to do worse in January exams compared to summer exams?

Completely normal to do worse in January because until you do the exams you can't appreciate how much more work you need to do. I got AACCD in January (one of the A's in General studies), retook the two C's in may (decided I hated the subject with my D and didn't bother), ended up with AAABC for AS :smile:

Plus I found it a lot easier to revise over easter than over christmas. There's just so much stuff going on around christmas it can be hard to motivate yourself, but when you've got a disappointing set of results and suddenly 2 weeks of no school, it's a lot easier to work. I spent the first week of Easter relearning Core 1 maths and the second week relearning G481 physics.
Reply 8
Agreed, the first AS exams are always a shock because you think you can get away with cramming like you did for GCSEs. Also, I don't what your school/ college's policy is, but I definitely did a lot better in summer, but this was partly down to having study leave, which we didn't have in January.

Use thi to learn where you went wong so you can improve your revision techniques for later - remember, next year, you won't have January modules and won't be able to resit as easily!
Reply 9
I know how you feel, ive got 6 exams this january, done 3 and 3 to go. It is very overwhelming but i just hope everyone finds it as hard as me so i wont do too awfully in comparison!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Everyone has given me hope! I did actually do revision, but then I came onto Student Room and seen people were recommending 8 hours a day and it made me realise that 6 hours here and there probably wasn't enough. I sat my business studies exam and it was incredibly hard, messed my sociology up due to nerves and didn't finish my history exam today even though I thought the questions weren't that difficult compared the past! I'm planning dropping History though cause I don't enjoy it as much as my other subjects. Hopefully I haven't done as bad as I think because I'm one of those people who expects the worst to avoid disappointment!

Thanks everyone! x

Quick Reply

Latest