The Student Room Group

None of my offers ask for fourth AS, should I drop it?

Fourth AS in question is Further Maths and I have exam on next wednesday.

Should I just drop it because none of offers ask for it, and I'm doing 3 A2 topics already.

Also, if I ever decide to take it, it's FP1 unit and can it replace one of other applied unit I did in AS maths if I get higher grade in FP1?
If you change the qualifications you're taking then you're effectively changing your application.

This means you MUST inform all of your universities BEFORE you drop any A/AS level (even if that subject isn't included in your offer). If you don't then any of your unis are within their rights to withdraw or amend their offers (because you've amended your application).

This however only applies if you DROP a qualification. If you just don't put any effort in and fail then that's fine.

in summary: if you want to DROP an AS that was in your original application then you MUST consult ALL of your unis BEFORE you do it. If you don't want to ring around your choices then your other option is to carry on with the AS but stop making any effort.
Reply 2
Original post by Rtcw

Should I just drop it because none of offers ask for it, and I'm doing 3 A2 topics already.

Also, if I ever decide to take it, it's FP1 unit and can it replace one of other applied unit I did in AS maths if I get higher grade in FP1?

Just because they didn't mention it, does not mean that have not taken it into account
A friend of mine is is the same position with further maths.

As the person above mentioned, if you change your application the uni is no longer obliged to accept you so you'd best check with them first. Even if they say no (which I highly doubt) you could just stop trying / going to lessons (essentially drop it) then get a U in the exam.
(edited 11 years ago)
not a guy
Original post by PQ
not a guy

My mistake.
If you drop it you or the school have to notify the universities as you've changed your application. The fourth A level may have put you at an advantage to those with the same grades and subjects as you. I would advise you not to drop it, just put more effort into the subjects that they want the grades in :smile:.
Original post by Rtcw

Some Uni's make a lower offer (by a grade) if you are taking FM even if they don't ask for an FM grade. You can't use FP1 in your Maths, but the applied modules are more flexible.

Quick Reply

Latest