The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing Sept 2014 PgDip , Bsc

HI
Anyone there applying as a mature student for PgDip or Bsc in Adult Nursing 2014 entry?
I have just sent my applications for 3 universities ( PgDip as I have already health related degree ) and 2 for full 3years BSc. Anyone in similar situation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have applied for the same. I hold a Bsc Info technology. I have applied for 3 Bsc and 2 Pgdip but my heart is closer to the pgdip only that am worried about the funding
Reply 2
Helloooo! I have applied for adult nursing (pg dip) at King's College, London South Bank, City uni, Kingston and Surrey.

Just heard that I have an interview for Kingston and Surrey in a couple of weeks, nervous!

How's everyone else getting on? :smile:
Reply 3
I hold a BA (hone) in contour fashion and have applied to 4 Bsc courses, kings college, south bank, york and de montfort, also applying to the 3 years masters in nursing at leeds uni which is open to graduates with a degree in any subject!. The masters would make sense but i think have my heart set on been in london!
Reply 4
Hi, I'm matured student and I've applied to 5 Universities for PGdip Adult Nursing. So far I have 2 interviews coming up, Surrey and City Uni. Has anyone had Assessment /interview at any of these universities? Any pointers for preparation will be very much appreciated.
Reply 5
I hold a 2.2 degree in a non health field but was advised to to the pgdip instead of the masters which I would have preferred :frown:(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Alimurray
I hold a 2.2 degree in a non health field but was advised to to the pgdip instead of the masters which I would have preferred :frown:(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I also have a 2.2 but in Psychology. I have applied for 1 Bsc and 4 pgdip's. Once you complete the pgdip, I think you should be able to do a top up to masters level.
Reply 7
Original post by joyfull
Hi, I'm matured student and I've applied to 5 Universities for PGdip Adult Nursing. So far I have 2 interviews coming up, Surrey and City Uni. Has anyone had Assessment /interview at any of these universities? Any pointers for preparation will be very much appreciated.

Have you had the interviews yet? How did they go. I have 2 interviews at the end of January for a Bsc in mental health nursing at Surrey and a pgdip in mental health nursing at city uni.

Any advice is much appreciated. Ps I'm also a mature student. :-)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by kat19892012
Have you had the interviews yet? How did they go. I have 2 interviews at the end of January for a Bsc in mental health nursing at Surrey and a pgdip in mental health nursing at city uni.

Any advice is much appreciated. Ps I'm also a mature student. :-)

Hiya,

I am yet to have my selection at surrey but I've had one at City. Assessment was was basic maths de1cimal, fraction, ratio, converting mg to gram to ml to l. English was multiple choice, comprehension, they were pretty simple. Interview was not bad either, why do you want to study nursing? What are the skills of a nurse? What skills do you have that you think you can bring to nursing? I remember a wired question that was asked, what was the topic of your project in your 1st degree? How did you carry out your research?
Which of them is your preference? Good luck.
Reply 9
Hey I'm thinking of applying to do the PGDip in adult nursing and wondered how the interviews were? I know why I want to do this and have experience in the field but dislike interviews.
Reply 10
I've applied to new bucks and kings for pg dip. I had an interview at new bucks that wasn't so bad. I also got offered a place at Kingston through clearing 5 years ago that I didn't take up in the end. Providing you are no fussy with which uni you go to I don't think it is too competitive. I'm not sure whether to do the bsc or pgdip. Apparently the pgdip is very intensive .
Reply 11
Also new bucks say that you can transfer to the bsc if you think the dip will be too much
Original post by songbirds
Also new bucks say that you can transfer to the bsc if you think the dip will be too much

I have been told its very intensive, as its a 3 year degree in the space of two years. I decided to accept a place on the Bsc in mental health nursing at Surrey.

I guess it depends if you think you can cope with it being intensive.

But its good to know Bucks give you the option of transferring to Bsc.
Reply 13
I have been told its very intensive, as its a 3 year degree in the space of two years. I decided to accept a place on the Bsc in mental health nursing at Surrey.

I guess it depends if you think you can cope with it being intensive.

But its good to know Bucks give you the option of transferring to Bsc.

Hi
I've applied for 3 year degree, got offers from Bucks New and Hertfordshire. Still not heard anything from Bedfordshire, my preferred Uni. Anyone else applied for Adult Nursing at Bedfordshire and still waiting?:smile:
I'm looking into the PG Dip but really confused about funding, does anyone know if there is anything additional you can borrow or have apart from the approx £4,000 from the NHS bursary and grant?
Reply 15
I know you can apply for some sort of loan from the bank. Not sure what its called, but it's something to do with educational improvement and it's definitely applicable to PG Dip as they're 2 year courses and not for 3 year degrees. Sorry to sound vague; I looked into it when researching finance for my degree, realised it didn't apply to me so didn't look into it further.
Original post by Jennibean66
I'm looking into the PG Dip but really confused about funding, does anyone know if there is anything additional you can borrow or have apart from the approx £4,000 from the NHS bursary and grant?

I looked into it when I was considering the pgdip. You can take out a career development loan. Both co-op and barclays offer them. You can borrow up to 10 grand. There is information on direct gov website and a number on there to call to request an application.

Hope that helps. :-)
Reply 17
I looked into sit when I was considering the pgdip. You can take out a career development loan. Both co-op and barclays offer them. You can borrow up to 10 grand. There is information on direct gov website and a number on there to call to request an application.

Hope that helps. :-)

Do you know if you can take out a maintenance loan with student finance on the bsc if you are already a graduate?
Reply 18
Hi,
i am starting PGDip Nursing in Feb and I applied to Student Finance for the reduced maintenance loan but was turned down. When I called them I was told the course I am going for is not eligible being Post graduate. I am confused, I thought it didn't matter if you are taking 2nd degree or post grad so far it's an HHS funded course.

Has anyone experienced this, is it true? Or has anyone been able to successfully secure the reduced maintenance loan (2300) from Student Finance? Any info will be much appreciated.
Original post by songbirds
Do you know if you can take out a maintenance loan with student finance on the bsc if you are already a graduate?

Yes you can, but its a reduced rate maintenance loan. I'm a graduate and will be doing the bsc at Surrey uni.

The reduced maintenance loan is £2324 per year(if your studying in london, you will get more).

With student finance, you can apply now, you don't have to wait until you have confirmed what offers you are accepting. And you can apply for the bursary from 3rd March for September 2014.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest