The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’ve been told its about tourism in sri lanka ? . . . but not got it yet as we’re going through hazard case studies atm :hmmmm:
Reply 2
i saw it...we're starting it next week i think. we got our hazard gereralisation thingy today though anyone else doing 'living with hazardous environments' i think it was?!:smile:
Reply 3
ems33
i saw it...we're starting it next week i think. we got our hazard gereralisation thingy today though anyone else doing 'living with hazardous environments' i think it was?!:smile:

Yeah I’m doing that one, roughly how many case studies are you learning? …. As for the DME ill also probs get it next week some time
Reply 4
ems33

is that it? god dammit, i don't know about that. Damn re-sits!
and we haven't been told about the synoptic paper yet :| we are still doing ecosystems and globalisation!

(we went on a ecosystems field trip today, walked out onto our field, and our teacher goes "this is grassland" "this is woodland" "this is the only bit of heather left in the college" "right lets go back inside", so very pointless, its reasons like that why i have to resit)
You can get the synoptic pre-lease pack off the edexcel website if you want to do some preparation before your lesson. The topic is such a coincidence as I'm going on holiday to Sri Lanka in July.

Could anyone please tell me what the generalisation is for 'Living With Hazardous Environments'?
Reply 6
Generalisation 2- effects
- thank god its not the last one would have lot more work to do if it was that.
Yep also doing hazards for the exam. Can't believe the synopitc this sitting is tourism, we got suck with water management back in Jan exams! Was v dull.
Reply 7
5.2 Living with hazardous environments - Spatial variations in the impact of natural hazards . . . then i have written around it; Physical location, countries level of development and peoples perception of the hazard
Reply 8
philip67
is that it? god dammit, i don't know about that. Damn re-sits!
and we haven't been told about the synoptic paper yet :| we are still doing ecosystems and globalisation!

(we went on a ecosystems field trip today, walked out onto our field, and our teacher goes "this is grassland" "this is woodland" "this is the only bit of heather left in the college" "right lets go back inside", so very pointless, its reasons like that why i have to resit)

haha. we dont do geog field trips nemore...glad, i had a bad experience! lol
we finished the ecosystems stuff and globalisation stuff a while ago, it all about cross unit tasks now. :p: though u did coursework b4 me!
Reply 9
I think the synoptic material looks quite good, should be an interesting exam. Seems that it will be based around sustainable development and the role of tourism within Sri Lanka and the decision making part will be where to locate the hotel development - sites 1,2 or 3.

Factors to take into account I guess would be potential for ecotourism and the need for sustainable energy development through windfarms, the location of the hotel for its tourism potential and other internal issues such as the civil war, Tamil Tigers, comparitive development and employment differences within the country impacting upon the decison on where to locate the hotel and climate etc.

Maybe.
Reply 10
ems33
haha. we dont do geog field trips nemore...glad, i had a bad experience! lol
we finished the ecosystems stuff and globalisation stuff a while ago, it all about cross unit tasks now. :p: though u did coursework b4 me!

yes i did, but fat lot of good that was, as i have to re-sit both the coursework and the exam :mad:
Reply 11
J4ME5
Yeah I’m doing that one, roughly how many case studies are you learning? …. As for the DME ill also probs get it next week some time

im not sure...my teacher reckons tectonics are likely, but whatever I dont revise will come up, so I guess i'll learn a few, maybe earthquake in Turkey, use that as an LEDC and compare with San. Fransisco/ Kobe to show effects in MEDC. tho i havent really thought about it much yet tbh! im concentrating until friday on my report, and then il start some proper revision. Revising climate today was fun! :rolleyes: its been sooooo long since i've written a hazards essay:frown:
Reply 12
Geogger
I've just brought it home with me - I'll have a look and get a 'sticky' set up at the weekend!

good call!:smile:
Reply 13
Hi all, am hoping to find some other people who are doing Geography Edexcel B, and who have received the pre-released material for issues analysis concerning Sri Lanka.

Basically, as i have very little faith in my geography teacher, i'm trying to find out how other 6th forms are going about the issues analysis and what everyones view on the pre-released material is.

Would be great to hear from anyone who's doing it
I'm doing it, though havent had a lesson on it yet x
Reply 15
I had the first lesson today on it, my teacher gave each person in my class 2 figures to look at and we had to sum up what the source was saying. Would be much appreciated though if you could let me know what aproach your teacher takes!!!
Reply 16
Fortunatley my teacher is an absolute legend. It seems that it will focus around sustainability and sustainable development, ecotourism, energy generation and provisions for the local community in the setting up of a new hotel at sites 1,2 or 3.
Reply 17
Hi
I am teaching the Sri Lanka Issues Analysis to my students tomorrow.
Please find attached a set of possible questions for you all to have a go at!
Good luck
Richard Briggs
Ralph Allen School
Im doing it, looks quite good, should be an OK topic. I suppose watching England play Sri-Lanka in cricket this summer will be an excuse for revision lol.
Reply 19
Just like to thank everyone for the feedback I have received concerning the synoptic paper so far, it has all been very helpful not to mention useful! Oh and thanks especially to geogger

Latest

Trending

Trending