The Student Room Group

Is the high street dead (Online is the future)

Now with jessops, HMV and block busters gone bust is the high street dead and now more are expected this yr is it time that we forget the high street and focus more on online activity and just shop online

also with more boarded up shops could the high street be a place for more offices and housing
I wouldn't worry too much. Jessops, HMV, Peacocks, Comet, etc had it coming for years. It's a case of only the strongest will survive now. Maybe the fall of these will give many other retailers a kick up the boot and get them out there getting to know their customers/potential customers and what they want.

Don't worry too much. Manchester will not be looking like Rotherham town centre anytime soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jblackmoustache
I wouldn't worry too much. Jessops, HMV, Peacocks, Comet, etc had it coming for years. It's a case of only the strongest will survive now. Maybe the fall of these will give many other retailers a kick up the boot and get them out there getting to know their customers/potential customers and what they want.

Don't worry too much. Manchester will not be looking like Rotherham town centre anytime soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do u mean is rotherham town centre now a ghost town full of empty boarded up shops

also i welcome more retail entering administration and no I am not worried everytime i hear some retail goes under admin then I more for it as its time to realize that internet is far better and shopping online is 10times better to get stuff than waiting time going out and wasting money on fuel etc
Original post by shadow13
Now with jessops, HMV and block busters gone bust is the high street dead and now more are expected this yr is it time that we forget the high street and focus more on online activity and just shop online

also with more boarded up shops could the high street be a place for more offices and housing

I think it's right that they close down. The stores should really have seen it coming - high street stores are in most cases completely inefficient, with hardly any information about products, poor price comparison, and a lot of effort involved if you want to shop around.

Once upon a time it was hard to find products, and high street stores helped you find them all along one road. Then came firms called supermarkets which allowed you to find the majority of products in one store. Then, however, came the internet, giving even more choice and comparison, better information, and competition.

Firms like HMV should have made the online transition years ago and found some other market to enter as this one closes.

Yes, things like food, sports equipment, clothing, services and high value item stores will remain viable, but in most cases, high street stores are just not necessary any more.
Reply 4
There are always places people will prefer to physically go to , for the time being anyhow. Charity shops, pharmacists, opticians, clothing shops/ shoe shops, coffee shops, outdoor equipment, stationary products , book shops, outdoor stuff (e.g. garden, automotive repair, hiking )etc . Its just if you want electric goods or CDs, people like to browse in HMV and then go online and find it cheaper / pirate it because they cant afford to do pay the higher cost (or dotn want to ) and can afford to wait for the product to arrive. On the other hand stuff like clothing and stationary generally people will want to try them on or its a case of needing it now or else it being actually cheaper to go in store where you can dont have to bulk buy to get the economony of scale
Original post by jblackmoustache

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
I really don't think people are just going to sit inside all day and buy things online, there's definitely still going to be retailers etc. It will just be the strongest ones left.

I'm sad about blockbuster :frown:
The high street has sucked for years now. I recently walked down my local high street and all the stores were rubbish.

All the interesting stuff is online now and it's all cheaper than the tat sold on the high street.

Good riddance to Woolworths, Zavvi, Blockbuster and HMV for all I care. I hear Argos won't be surviving much longer either :biggrin:
Reply 9
I think the high street for digital items/electronic items will be going down the drain due to sites such as Amazon. However the big clothes shops will still be around, as you can never try out a pair of jeans online until you get them. In addition I don't think people get what they want from the internet when they go clothes shopping, there is a feeling which people get when they try on clothes with other people. however the shops like Game, HMV are in a market where the goods can be easily purchased online/downloaded and are then mailed to the buyer quite easily and cheaply. For products such as games there is no thrill of going out to buy it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending