The Student Room Group
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website

Cardiff Met University

Hi, guys. I have applied and been accepted to study biomedical science at Cardiff Met but have yet to revieve offers from other universities.I have been recently told that my degree from this university might not be respected, and I should go to a traditional uni, any thoughts? :smile:
I dunno. But on a tangentially related, and anyway to bump your thread, I'll offer this:

I simply cannot understand how an organisation having a marketing department (or simply having an ounce of common sense) would decide to change its name from 'The University of Wales Institute, Cardiff' to 'Cardiff Metropolitan University'.
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
I dunno. But on a tangentially related, and anyway to bump your thread, I'll offer this:

I simply cannot understand how an organisation having a marketing department (or simply having an ounce of common sense) would decide to change its name from 'The University of Wales Institute, Cardiff' to 'Cardiff Metropolitan University'.

I'm guessing they changed the name because people were getting the University confused with "Cardiff University" which is also situated in the same city & has many similar courses. Also a Met I believe means it is a "new" university, as in not one of the founding ones from a few centuries ago.. My knowledge might be flawed slightly as it is from memory reading about Cardiff in a history book about culture but it is worth looking up.
I hope that helps you somewhat, if not? it gives you a history lesson haha:smile: I have an unconditional place here myself & I'm going in September 2013
PS. Different Uni's hold different levels of respect based on individual courses & relevance to jobs I believe.. IE: what it has on the course & whether it is recognised rather than the name of the Uni itself.
Reply 3
Original post by cambio wechsel

As far as they told students there it was something to do with the university of wales as a whole shutting down (it used to include the likes of newport uni too), so what was UWIC had to change their name if they wanted to remain open, as it is now an independent uni.
Most of the south wales universities have gone through restructuring like this in the past year, I think if you look into it both Newport and Glamorgan have changed too
Reply 4
The link between the Uni's has been broken
but C.M has one of the best new Uni rep stat in Wales (& UK).

Posted from TSR Mobile
ANYONE APPLYING FOR CAMBRIAN POINT HALLS CARDIFF THIS IS THE FACEBOOK PAGE FOR 2013/2014 FOR FRESHERS INFO, A CHANCE TO FIND FLAT/COURSEMATES AND MOVING IN ADVICE: https://www.facebook.com/groups/555917694467469/
Reply 6
if anyone missed out on WEEK 1 freshers bands (15th-22nd) there has been a SECOND RELEASE!! :biggrin::biggrin:
you can get them here: (limited number of tickets so be quick!!)
http://collectiveevents.fatsoma.com/events/92055/?r=1681845248
I have been offered a place for biomedical science at this UNi , is the degree respected? I have to revise my offers too! Thank you very much
Reply 8
Hi. The Biomedical Science BSc (Hons) degree has accreditations from the Institute of Biomedical Science so of course its respected!
The only reason you would say it might not be "respected" is because its not a Russel group university, Russel group Universities means they get a lot more funding for research then non-Russel groups which for most people does not matter.
At the end of the day, a degree is a degree. Unless you were going for some really competitive high-end jobs it will probably have no relevance. But in general in terms of universities, Cardiff Met is a former polytechnic so not as respected as Cardiff University which is Russell group. To get into Cardiff University you would prob need AAB-ABB and for Cardiff Met you can get in on much much lower grades. Some employers will know this, but some won't. When I applied for Biomedical Science I was only doing 2 A levels. Cardiff Uni offered AB and Cardiff Met offered me DE. Only you can decide if it's for you. A degree has to reach a certain standard so I can't see it making much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending