The Student Room Group

what is the point of the DM?

What exactly is the point in having a newspaper that makes up that much rubbish? it spreads lies, hate and scaremongers people with unscientific nonsense.

It's not news, most of it is fiction or the truth vastly exagerated. The science articles are probably written by people who failed gcse science.

Do you think it should be banned or something?

EDIT; if you read it for a laugh then may I point you to this website that generates random DM style headlines; http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/ me and my boyfriend enjoyed flicking through them. Examples include;

COULD FOXES MAKE HARD-WORKING FAMILIES IMPOTENT?

WILL FACEBOOK GIVE BRITAIN'S SWANS SWINE FLU
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I genuinely go on the Daily Mail website now just for a laugh. Some of the stuff they come out with is unbelievable. And every day, without fail, there's some new cause for cancer; cheese, or too many takeaways, or white chocolate or something stupid.

I don't think it would be possible to ban it as such, unless it genuinely broke the law (e.g. NOTW)
Reply 2
The point is to make money.
I hope the Daily Mail doesn't get banned. It's a right laugh reading their website. The ****e the come up with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
To cater for the masses.
Reply 5
I read it for the funsies. Sometimes they do touch on interesting topics but they always have their unique little twist of crazy added on to it... it's entertaining
Reply 6
Original post by benwilliamsuk
I genuinely go on the Daily Mail website now just for a laugh. Some of the stuff they come out with is unbelievable. And every day, without fail, there's some new cause for cancer; cheese, or too many takeaways, or white chocolate or something stupid.

I don't think it would be possible to ban it as such, unless it genuinely broke the law (e.g. NOTW)

Original post by jblackmoustache
I hope the Daily Mail doesn't get banned. It's a right laugh reading their website. The ****e the come up with

Original post by ellieHA
I read it for the funsies. Sometimes they do touch on interesting topics but they always have their unique little twist of crazy added on to it... it's entertaining

I sometimes flick through it to laugh at it too, but it's like religion, it's saying something is factual, when they don't really have any evidence for their claims. But it does also make me angry that they can get awy with calling it news when it's all lies.

Original post by miser
The point is to make money.

But it shouldn't be allowed, it spreads lies and hate and scaremongers people gullible enough to believe it.

Original post by tehforum
To cater for the masses.

How? if you're gullible enough to believe it you should go back to school and learn about science and that things need evidence beore you accept them.
(edited 11 years ago)
I genuinely go on the Daily Mail website now just for a laugh.

Original post by jblackmoustache
It's a right laugh reading their website. The ****e the come up with

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ellieHA

Exactly for this reason! I go to the website occasionally (normally through a TSR link) and after I've read the article I go straight to the comments and look at the best and worst rated. Normally the best rated comment is some badly spelt, poorly punctuated working-class drivel centred around racist or xenophobic views. It brings a smile to the face to see such swathes of comments filled with rampant idiocy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by anony.mouse
I sometimes flick through it to laugh at it too, but it's like religion, it's saying something is factual, when they don't really have any evidence for their claims. But it does also make me angry that they can get awy with calling it news when it's all lies.

But it shouldn't be allowed, it spreads lies and hate and scaremongers people gullible enough to believe it.

How? if you're gullible enough to believe it you should go back to school and learn that things need evidence beore you accept them.

Then it shows how uncritical and stupid the masses are.
It highlights the inherent difficulties of democracy in this country which is ineffective.
Reply 9
Original post by anony.mouse

You can't ban an individual company, you can only impose penalties on one for breaking the law. The real problem isn't the DM, it's as you put it: the people gullible enough to believe it.
Reply 10
A lot of smugness right here. I guess you're the same left wing vermin that claim the Guardian is an insightful read? Daily Mail bashing is old, get over it.
Reply 11
I would love some kind of inquiry into the Daily Mail where have to present their non-existent evidence for their articles. So many people read the DM (ironically though, of course) that it will continue to thrive. People slag it off all the time and yet read it religiously 'to laugh at it'. If everyone stopped reading, maybe it would stop printing.
(edited 11 years ago)

This. There's a lot of entertainment to be found in the hysterical cries of its writers and readers.

I enjoy heading over to the Daily Telegraph for the same reason. They're just as hysterical, they just happen to be more articulate in their frenzy.

The Guardian can be just as bad at times, but not quite as frequently or on the same scale.
It is a brilliant newspaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by almost_instinct
This. There's a lot of entertainment to be found in the hysterical cries of its writers and readers.

I enjoy heading over to the Daily Telegraph for the same reason. They're just as hysterical, they just happen to be more articulate in their frenzy.

The Guardian can be just as bad at times, but not quite as frequently or on the same scale.

As in claiming x causes cancer on one page. Then a few pages later saying how you should do x to avoid cancer? :holmes:

Original post by Em8980
I would love some kind of inquiry into the Daily Mail where have to present their non-existent evidence for their articles. So many people read the DM (ironically though, of course) that it will continue to thrive. People slag it off all the time and yet read it religiously 'to laugh at it'. If everyone stopped reading, maybe it would stop printing.

me too :smile: They should have to write down specific sources for their claims, that can be analysed by readers.
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Exactly for this reason! I go to the website occasionally (normally through a TSR link) and after I've read the article I go straight to the comments and look at the best and worst rated. Normally the best rated comment is some badly spelt, poorly punctuated working-class drivel centred around racist or xenophobic views. It brings a smile to the face to see such swathes of comments filled with rampant idiocy.

Agreed with you up until this point. Racism, xenophobia and poor-punctuation are not exclusively working-class traits. Also, it's widely known that the paper is targeted towards the middle-class.
Reply 16
On the sports section - the main headline a couple of days ago was a Football matched between the FIFA World Team VS The English World Team

Only problem was that they had the match on football manager and were reporting what happened :/

DM is entertaining but clearly it has some stupid opinions.
Reply 17
What a daft post. What do you think the point of it is? It's run by a private company - their aim is to make as much money as possible - and they've realised that selling a paper that panders to the uneducated masses, and running a website with a very user-friendly layout, is a good way to achieve this. The Mail is the second most read paper in the country and their website is the most viewed news website in the world - so they're clearly achieving their aims.

If you think the aim of all news outlets is to educate and enlighten people, you are sadly mistaken (with the exception of a few). Their aim is to make money and therefore they publish what the masses want to read and hear.
Reply 18
Also, it's widely known that the paper is targeted towards the middle-class.

This is a myth - whilst the paper does have a middle-class readership to an extent, it's aimed mainly at upper working class/lower middle class people who feel like they're too clever to read The Sun but not intelligent enough to read The Daily Telegraph/The Times, your average middle class person is more likely to read a broadsheet.
Agreed with you up until this point. Racism, xenophobia and poor-punctuation are not exclusively working-class traits. Also, it's widely known that the paper is targeted towards the middle-class.

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I've always had the perception that the DM was simply a working class paper masquerading as a middle class one. Whichever it's aimed it; it's still a terrible paper.

Original post by Advanced
This is a myth - whilst the paper does have a middle-class readership to an extent, it's aimed mainly at upper working class/lower middle class people who feel like they're too clever to read The Sun but not intelligent enough to read The Daily Telegraph/The Times, your average middle class person is more likely to read a broadsheet.

Exactly what I think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending