The Student Room Group

On hour 20 of learning to drive and haven't done 'anything'?!

I don't mean anything anything, but it feels like nothing!

We just spend the lesson driving around; I've been on a duel carriage way and into 5th gear, junctions and touched on roundabouts (but it's been a sort of, learn as I go with them). No maneuvers, reversing, emergency stops - nothing else but just driving around and around my area for the whole time I've been learning.

All the people at college say they pass in 15 or 16 hours; they all think 20 hours is loads and I should be taking my test soon so I feel really ridiculous saying to someone the amount of hours I've done.

I've asked my instructor if we can do something else and he just says 'we'll see' or 'when you're ready'. I used to be incredibly nervous which reflected in my driving but I feel that I've improved loads since I began. I know there're stories about how instructors spin out the lessons to make more money but he knows that i'm paying for them out of my own pocket and we get on really well - call me naive but I don't think he'd do that.

Is 20 hours really a long time to learn to drive? I don't see how it logically can be but all I hear are stories about how little it took my friends to pass. And what's 'normal' to learn/do by hour 20? More than what I've done? I must either be a worse driver then I thought or he's spinning out the lessons, right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All depends on the person, I'm sure DSA said about 45 hours with an instructor in 20 with parents, but with my dad being in the police I only took 7 two hour lessons and then plenty with him.... I wouldn't worry too much, I know people with 100hrs plus that are nowhere near ready for their test.
Reply 2
Original post by The Wild Youth

We just spend the lesson driving around; I've been on a duel carriage way and into 5th gear, junctions and touched on roundabouts (but it's been a sort of, learn as I go with them). No maneuvers, reversing, emergency stops - nothing else but just driving around and around my area for the whole time I've been learning.

All the people at college say they pass in 15 or 16 hours; they all think 20 hours is loads and I should be taking my test soon so I feel really ridiculous saying to someone the amount of hours I've done.

I've asked my instructor if we can do something else and he just says 'we'll see' or 'when you're ready'. I used to be incredibly nervous which reflected in my driving but I feel that I've improved loads since I began. I know there're stories about how instructors spin out the lessons to make more money but he knows that i'm paying for them out of my own pocket and we get on really well - call me naive but I don't think he'd do that.

Is 20 hours really a long time to learn to drive? I don't see how it logically can be but all I hear are stories about how little it took my friends to pass. And what's 'normal' to learn/do by hour 20? More than what I've done? I must either be a worse driver then I thought or he's spinning out the lessons, right?

To me, it sounds like he's just stringing you along for as long as possible. My boyfriend's sister's instructor told her she HAD to have 40 lessons before she could do her test. She changed instructors and after about 12 or so she passed, so...

My instructor threw me into the deep end. My first lesson was 2 hours long, and we did general driving, a round about and a maneuver. I've done everything you mentioned you haven't done, and I've had (at most!) 15 lessons at 1 hour for each lesson. My instructor says that I'm ready to do my test and has been for a few weeks now, I'm just waiting to (hopefully) pass my theory before I do.

It does sound like your instructor is milking you a bit. Maybe consider changing to an instructor one of your friends had?

**EDIT** Whoops! Sent too early!! It does depend on your ability though - everyone is different. However, I think your instructor should have at least given you a chance to do something by now, especially a maneuver. Maybe tell him/her you're going to book your theory test so you really want to get on with learning new things?
(edited 11 years ago)
My driving school said the average was 30 hours and I'm not sure I'd make 30... Currently I've had about... 20 hours as well I think. Maybe a little less. I think 15 hours really isn't much. I don't think you could learn how to drive properly in such short time.
But in the UK you're allowed to drive with a parent when you're learning, right? Because we don't have that here :P

But if you're that uncontent with your instructor, perhaps you should look into getting another one? Just ask around to see which one has positive reviews.
The DSA average is like 67 hours all together and I have to say even I have had just about that much. It is extremely annoying when people say "oh your taking far too long" - That's not the case, it generally takes some people longer and that is not a bad thing. :angry:

Regards to manouvers, I did my first manouver at something like 18 hours ...some instructors use the term " no point driving backwards if you can't drive properly forwards" :tongue:

By 20 lessons, I hadn't that much either..i would say just go at the pace that feels comfortable to you and since your paying for your own lessons, just tell your friends that you want to get lots of professional experience as a learner rather than crashing the first week after you pass! :smile:

You should have done at least one manouver by now, because I just checked and I did my first manouver - turn in the road at lesson 9 and hour 16...so from that angle ....it does seem like your instructor is stringing you along :er:

Good luck and if you have more questions, don't forget to ask :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by aimccartney
All depends on the person, I'm sure DSA said about 45 hours with an instructor in 20 with parents, but with my dad being in the police I only took 7 two hour lessons and then plenty with him.... I wouldn't worry too much, I know people with 100hrs plus that are nowhere near ready for their test.

What does that have to do with anything?
Original post by Coffeegirl
The DSA average is like 67 hours all together and I have to say even I have had just about that much. It is extremely annoying when people say "oh your taking far too long" - That's not the case, it generally takes some people longer and that is not a bad thing. :angry:

Regards to manouvers, I did my first manouver at something like 18 hours ...some instructors use the term " no point driving backwards if you can't drive properly forwards" :tongue:

By 20 lessons, I hadn't that much either..i would say just go at the pace that feels comfortable to you and since your paying for your own lessons, just tell your friends that you want to get lots of professional experience as a learner rather than crashing the first week after you pass! :smile:

Good luck and if you have more questions, don't forget to ask :smile:

That was really reassuring actually - thank you :biggrin: It's just that after asking around, everyone's telling me that they've passed really crazily quickly (or that's what they say!) and it's had me kind of worried that I'm either absolutely appalling at driving or I'm being conned a bit. Thanks again :smile:
That was really reassuring actually - thank you :biggrin: It's just that after asking around, everyone's telling me that they've passed really crazily quickly (or that's what they say!) and it's had me kind of worried that I'm either absolutely appalling at driving or I'm being conned a bit. Thanks again :smile:

:ninja: They lie :ninja:

Or have lots of lessons and lots of test fails but only count the hours it took for them to sit their first test!
Reply 8

I've had 20 hours so far, my instructor thinks it'll be roughly another 20 before I'm ready. I don't do any driving outside of my lessons with parents etc (which most people do) so it's probably going to take me longer than most. Why waste money on tests you're not ready for when you could put it towards more lessons to gain confidence? I have a feeling a few people are twisting the truth a bit!

Maybe have a chat with your instructor, see how long he thinks it'll take for you to pass? Obviously only a rough estimate, but it's good to know you're both on the same page. Perhaps also discuss when he thinks you'll be ready for different manouvres; different instructors have different styles of teaching, for the manouvres really good clutch control is needed (I'm still struggling with this one!) so maybe he's getting that sorted with normal driving first before introducing new things. Best person to ask is your instructor, his response (or perhaps lack of) will be a pretty good indicator as to whether he is 'stringing you along' or whether that's just his teaching style :smile:
Reply 9

I have my test next Friday and I will have had 23 hours, but I learnt basic driving, like pulling away and indicating and things like that when I was 16 on private land. I reckon 30 hours is about right: but it's different for everybody, one of my friends took her test 5 times because she wasn't ready but felt like she should take it. It's an expensive test! Don't rush into it. Do it when you feel ready: and as for your instructor, I think you need to just say that you feel really confident with normal day to day driving and that you'd like to give a manoeuvre a go. I'd go with that. Hope that's helpful: and good luck with your driving! :smile:

No, most people take around 40 hours to pass. If you were not confident to start with then your instructor has been building up your confidence in the last lessons so you're happy driving the car. Saying that, I would say that you're ready to start learning some manoeuvres and you should be happy with the theory of roundabouts, even if you're not good at them yet (need quick getaways!). You could be proactive and take your theory test so you're making a move towards your driving test. Now that you've got some hours under your belt it shouldn't be too hard to actually relate your theory to your driving. That would be my thoughts. If you're still worried about your progress ask your instructor for a breakdown of where you are now and what the rough lesson plan from now on will be. If you're not satisfied with him then you're quite within your right to move instructor though - so don't be afraid to do that in the longer term.
Original post by Sarah120610
I've had 20 hours so far, my instructor thinks it'll be roughly another 20 before I'm ready. I don't do any driving outside of my lessons with parents etc (which most people do) so it's probably going to take me longer than most. Why waste money on tests you're not ready for when you could put it towards more lessons to gain confidence? I have a feeling a few people are twisting the truth a bit!

Maybe have a chat with your instructor, see how long he thinks it'll take for you to pass? Obviously only a rough estimate, but it's good to know you're both on the same page. Perhaps also discuss when he thinks you'll be ready for different manouvres; different instructors have different styles of teaching, for the manouvres really good clutch control is needed (I'm still struggling with this one!) so maybe he's getting that sorted with normal driving first before introducing new things. Best person to ask is your instructor, his response (or perhaps lack of) will be a pretty good indicator as to whether he is 'stringing you along' or whether that's just his teaching style :smile:

Nice to find someone on about hour 20 too! Have you done any/ when did you start maneuvers? Cheers for your response... it's reassuring to know that there are other people who haven't taken their test and passed with flying colors at hour 10 or something! :biggrin:
Hiya I'm on lesson 23 now as of this Sunday. Your instructor should be introducing you to parrallel parking,reverse parking,turns in the road and reversing round a corner by now.He will probably do so in your next lesson. I only drive during driving lessons.Its awfully expensive and I hope I only need about 10/11 more. We've covered all manouveres so know its a case of practising and bringing anticipation,hazard awareness and planning together.

Keep practising you will become really confident soon.
Thanks for the replies so far - I think that if we don't start doing something new next lesson, i'll talk to him about it more seriously. If nothing STILL happens, i'll consider switching.

:bump:
Reply 14
Does kinda seem like you're being taken advantage of. I managed to do it in 13 lessons, every lesson was always something - maneuvers, dual carriage way, with tests along the way.

Who're you doing it with? I'm from Brighton as well. I know a lot of people who have problems with driving instructors (particularly independent ones), but have then moved onto AA/BSM and had no problems.
Nice to find someone on about hour 20 too! Have you done any/ when did you start maneuvers? Cheers for your response... it's reassuring to know that there are other people who haven't taken their test and passed with flying colors at hour 10 or something! :biggrin:

I've done turn in the road+parallel park (well, I attempted :P). I did turn in the road at about hour 13 and parallel park at hour 20. Turn in the road still leaves a lot to be desired, there seems to be so much to remember for it!
Original post by Sarah120610
I've done turn in the road+parallel park (well, I attempted :P). I did turn in the road at about hour 13 and parallel park at hour 20. Turn in the road still leaves a lot to be desired, there seems to be so much to remember for it!

Cheers for letting me know!

Definitely feeling that I should have done a LOT more by now... :tongue:
Reply 17
I've just had my 17th lesson(18 hours so far) and my instructor has told me to book my test for the end of February so I would've had about 23-25 hours before my test(as long as I pass 1st time)

It all depends on the person that's learning as everyone learns at a different speed, but you should at least have done some sort of maneuver by now.

I'm sure it took my brother at least a year or so to pass.

EDIT: By the way I have no lessons with parents! Only with the instructor.
EDIT again: I've had a couple more lessons than I originally said, as I remembered I lost my previous time card.
(edited 11 years ago)

Your friends are either really good drivers or liers. 20 hours isn't that bad really, my instructor told me ~45 hour for his students. In regards to your instructor ripping you off, i passed my theory before lessons so we hardly spoke about it.

Original post by Coffeegirl

Its better to take your time, than fail repeatedly, some girl took 5 attempts of her test and people made fun of her because of that. Another girl who recommended me the instructor took 2 years to pass but no one said anything about it. :smile:

Also i know this sounds obvious but people who take more lessons generally end up as better drivers, eg. dont crash within the first year. I got 8 minors but couldnt afford insurance so ill never know if i was a good or bad driver :tongue:
The people that pass after only 10-15 hours are generally fast learners and more importantly, they probably have private practise with their parents. So try not to compare yourself to them (easier said than done I know) but try to move along at a pace you feel comfortable with but still try to challenge yourself. Although not doing any manoeuvres after 20 hours is taking the piss in my opinion, I mean you've got into 5th gear but doing some manoeuvres is all of a sudden big deal? That's bull IMO.

Also that DSA average of how long it takes to pass has taken into account drivers of all ages, so if you mainly know young people that are learning to drive, most won't seem to follow the DSA trend because younger people pass quicker than older people on average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending