The Student Room Group

Vanity sizing...Ladies i need your views!!

Hi all, i am currently doing my end of year report based on 'vanity sizing' in the UK. Now if your not aware about vanity sizing ill give you a brief description, this is where shops are allowing to tamper with their sizes to allow you to either have more room in your 'size 10' jeans or less room.

Does it annoy you that your having to take a couple of sizes of each garment into the changing rooms? My reason for researching this topic as i feel that ALL stores should have a standard regulation to abide by, therefor knowing exactly what size you are in any store, you can pick up the size that you need.

Information on whether you are prepared to buy that size bigger or smaller if it fitted would be a great help too, if your 'normal' size didnt fit you would it put a damper on your shopping experience or would you simply shout for the next size.:colondollar:

Vanity sizing is gradually becoming more popular as our body shapes are changing as the generations go on, but why do you feel stores are making their sizes more roomy?!

It would be a massive help to gain views and thank you....:smile:
Vanity sizing is stupid and annoying. It makes clothes shopping more of a chore than it is already, because you need to take a few different sizes into changing rooms, and it means you're forever confused about what size you'll need if you're ordering things online. It would make life so much easier if all clothes sizes were standardised.

When I go shopping, I just buy whatever clothes fit properly. There's no point squeezing into a size 8 just because it's an 8 if it's too tight and looks silly. Buy what fits, it makes more sense.

People need to realise that they are the size they are, a number on a label won't change that. If the size is really that much of an issue, then cut the label out or go on a diet/to the gym.
Reply 2
Yes it's bloody annoying.

I have the measurements for an 8-10 but in some places struggle to get a 14 over my 35" hips and then in the next shop along, a 6 on top drowns me (pear problemz fo lyf.)

It is not only frustrating not being able to figure out what size you are but it also does dishearten me when I have to buy a size or two up. I've lost about 4.5 stone and when I struggle to fit into a 10 it does make me feel a bit down, like I'm not a 'proper' size 10 and I haven't made much progress. Lame but true.

I feel people are making their sizes bigger to encourage women to buy more. I know, purely psychological, that if I walked into new look and found a size 6 skirt that I would be more inclined and excited to buy it than if it was my usual size.

It's a shame that vanity sizing has skewed our opinions (mine included) of our bodies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Vanity sizing is a business gimmick to make people (women) feel slimmer, and therefore buy more. It's annoying, and a standard size should definately be used. Every shop should use the same sizing charts - there's no reason not to.
Reply 4
It's EXTREMELY annoying! I range from a size 8 to a size 12 in clothes, depending on the shop and style of clothing. It's very time consuming, and it can effect your body confidence as well. Also, I never know what size to buy from shops online because sizes are different everywhere! I completely agree with you that a standard sizing method should be used.
Reply 5
I get why it exists... to make money.

But it shouldn't. Sizes should be standardised - there should be some guidelines that shops have to stick to. Especially if you're ordering online and the shop doesn't do free returns/refund your postage - you could end up losing a few pounds in delivery charges if something doesn't fit. Personally though, I haven't found my size to change much - I'm a 10 but have to buy between 8 to 12 depending on the style, but generally a 10 is the same in most shops. Also, I don't mind having to take two options into the changing room, it's a bit annoying but even if I knew I was a 10 and it was a set size, clothing styles are different and a certain item might look better being a bit tighter or a bit looser, so I'd want to see options anyway. It does cause problems when ordering online and you can't try things on like that.

Also if sizes is gradually getting bigger, it probably leads to women being in denial about their true size. They could be putting on a bit of weight and going shopping, trying on a 10 and thinking "it fits! I'm obviously still a size 10, so I'm fine" and then relaxing and thinking they must not have put on as much weight as they thought. and so it continues..and eventually what would have been a size 14 nowadays could eventually end up being called a 10 in a few years time. It's like when people justify things by saying, "yeah but the average size in the UK is a 16." Yeah so it's common, but that doesn't make it healthy or ok. We have a growing obesity problem, so yeah, size 16 sounds about right. It proves nothing though.

It's a silly concept anyway that people want to buy a certain size. Girls squeeze into size 8 jeans when they are clearly too small, just because they want to buy an 8. Why?! You are the size you are. The number sewn on a piece of fabric does not change that. Nobody can see the label anyway!
Combined with being really short, vanity sizing just makes buying clothes a hassle. I'm generally an 8, but I have been a 6, and a 10, and with jeans sometimes a 12. I mean come on, it's just stupid. It shouldn't have to be so hard to pick your clothes out, buying shoes is easier because I know my shoe size. Vanity sizing means nobody knows their size :unimpressed:
They've done the same with Lingerie too. They now measure girls to have bigger cups and smaller backs. So girls with small chests are wearing crazy sizes like a 28E.
It drives me mad. I have tops ranging from size 6 to size 14, and they're all exactly the same size physically. Yes, it gives me a bit of a buzz when I fit into "smaller" sizes, but ultimately nobody is going to come up to you in the street and ask what size your jeans are, so you just have to get what flatters you. You should know if you're a healthy weight and in relatively good shape, so work that out, and just wear what you need to wear.

That's something that's been a bit of a mental block to me, especially dieting and being desperate to fit into a "smaller size", but I'm coming to terms with the reality of it now.
It doesn't really bother me to be quite honest. I'm a 6-8 though, and I don't mean this in a rude way or anything, but I think if I was bigger, like a 14-16, I think it would impact on my self esteem a little, personally speaking for me, not that there's anything wrong with these sizes.
Reply 10
It doesn't affect my self-esteem but it is a bit annoying and complicates shopping for me. I have a big bum (40 inches around the hips) and although I'm a size 12, I have to go up sizes in some shops to find a pair of jeans that will fit me (New Look for example). I am pretty big-boned as well so I don't tend to fit the standard size anyway. I'm not sure if this is an issue with vanity sizing or the fact that I have an unusual body shape. I have clothes from a size 8 to a 14.

To be honest, what annoys me more is the fact that online retailers don't show pictures of their garments being worn by people who aren't skinny. I'm not jealous of slimmer girls. It's just that clothes look different on different frames and it's hard to get a sense of what something will look like on you if it's not being modeled on someone with the same body type.
Reply 11
Information on whether you are prepared to buy that size bigger

Quick Reply

Latest